Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Eyeball

Arcane
My ranged attack skill tells me I can hit a tree 7 times out of 10.

Subtle, but appreciated.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
No skipping. I'll need 6-8 months to flesh out the setting and write a few starting areas (aka preproduction), so we can't start working right away even if we wanted to. The crawler requires very little proproduction so it makes sense to do it first.

Speaking of pre-production work... I'm quite eager to find out what your design ideas for the colony ship game are VD, do you intend to significantly deviate from AoD's already established gameplay formula (heavy emphasis on text adventures, punishing, yet fair combat system etc.) in favour of different gameplay systems, do your priorities and ambitions lie elsewhere this time?

By the way, is it possible for you to provide the sales breakdown per distribution platform (at some point in the future) or are there NDAs in place you've been forced to adhere to?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm very happy to see incline selling. Congratulations, guys, you deserve it :p

m_s0

Arcane
Colony ship is definitely a-go. All aboard!
I did my part and was afraid this'd get largely ignored by anyone outside of this place then promptly die in obscurity after a week tops.

Holy fuck is it satisfying to read it's not that at all. Congrats on the success - you guys deserve every bit of it :salute:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Speaking of pre-production work... I'm quite eager to find out what your design ideas for the colony ship game are VD, do you intend to significantly deviate from AoD's already established gameplay formula (heavy emphasis on text adventures, punishing, yet fair combat system etc.) in favour of different gameplay systems, do your priorities and ambitions lie elsewhere this time?
I'm quite eager to share them because I've been working on the setting (fucking love it, it's pure poetry and writes itself) and design for a while, but I'm overloaded with emails and posts (it's like a zerg rush) at the moment.

For now I can only repeat what I mentioned before:

We're aiming to create a different experience with the same core ('hardcore', TB, C&C). So, combat will be turn-based but focused on ranged rather than melee (earth-made laser guns - rare but powerful, ammo even more rare, so save for special occasions - vs crude ship-manufactured firearms favoring burst rather then precision), level up to distribute skill points and unlock new feats, focus on the individual and more dynamic C&C, focus on exploring rather than working your way up in a faction; you'll be one of the 'freemen' who aren't born into a caste-like faction, more traditional open level design.

By the way, is it possible for you to provide the sales breakdown per distribution platform (at some point in the future) or are there NDAs in place you've been forced to adhere to?
Eventually. I don't have GoG or GG numbers yet, but we're doing well on Steam so far, better than expected.

Ivan

Arcane
can we expect a ks or some such for the colony rpg? I'd love to support you guys from the get-go

Vault Dweller

Developer
Not planned at the moment. We won't take it to KS without a playable build and if we have a playable build, Early Access is a much more straightforward way, without stupid tiers, stretch "goals", and upselling.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This might have been asked and answered, stuff is moving fast. So you will have to excuse me. But are you planning any expansions? (Now with the success I mean)

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not planned at the moment. We won't take it to KS without a playable build and if we have a playable build, Early Access is a much more straightforward way, without stupid tiers, stretch "goals", and upselling.
Yeah, I loved a bunch of the kickstarter campaigns, but in AoD's case I bought it early access and talked two others into buying it as well. This might have ended up eclipsing a normal midrange KS donation once the cost of rewards were taken into account.

That said, AoD has gotten lots of great word of mouth and I'd love to see maybe an $80 package for a 4 pack made available for the holidays. For some reason I think this is the kind of game everyone likes forcing their friends to try. Is there any possibility of this?

Vault Dweller

Developer
This might have been asked and answered, stuff is moving fast. So you will have to excuse me. But are you planning any expansions? (Now with the success I mean)
No. Well, we're planning to add more content but that's different.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

There won't be an "expansion", but there will be a party based - turn based - dungeon crawler, done in the AoD setting.

Perkel

Arcane
Sales of incline thread should be more fun now thanks to ITS.
We are nearing end of the year and this will be too strong year for RPGs.

I think it is safe to say AoD will win dex goty but everything depends now on Cleave.

tindrli

Arcane

and why not a kickstarter just for another artist, or something that is not common.. something... ??

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
... but... but then you can actually offer a boxed edition...!!!

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom