Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vault Dweller: Age of Decadence needs to sell 45,000 copies to be successful

Longshanks

Augur
Choices & Consequences as a term means absolutely nothing these days. One would have to somehow showcase that there really are different paths through the game, not just simple reactivity or "hey, it has MORAL CHOICES!".
Yeah, this was my point to make a concerted effort to explain where AOD is different and why. Not to use C&C as a buzzword like everyone else.

Longshanks

Augur
"This is what is I care about in games so I'm going to assume it's what everybody else cares about too". - a ton of Codexers

Choice and consequence is now a buzzword that has been used as far wide as Star Wars open world action games: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lucasarts-shut-down.81889/page-7#post-2883491

The setting is a powerful marketing hook. "Welcome to the Rome RPG, you can LARP a gladiator and backstab people." "FUCK YES I'm trying this out." Choice and consequence is a solid feature in the context of that, but something that will fly over many people's heads if used out of context.
I think we're talking about very different forms of PR. I'm suggesting a "detailed explanation" of how C&C works in AOD and the design principles that underpin the character based roleplaying. This is longer form than simply shouting "C&C", "Ancient Rome". There are certain gamers who think they know games, they post on forums, discuss them daily and like to read about them, just like regular posters on the Dex. Putting out material telling these types that games they think do C&C well actually don't, and explaining why, could see a percentage of them take pause and try out the game. We've seen this happen with some readers of VD's interview on RPS. It's not going to bring across large numbers but those it does will be coming over for more solid reasons than "Oooh Rome!" or "Wow, Gory!".

Anyway, it's VD's game, but whatever he considers most important is what I think should be at the heart of any potential marketing push, not peripheral elements to try and draw in the unsuspecting. Shorter form and more visual approaches (like the trailer) should of course also be used. All of this takes time though and it looks as if ITS would prefer to spend that time actually working on the game.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fargo is the master of salesmanship
Oh and what the hell on Steam AoD shows up for 269 pesos (like $18) I wont ever install that spyware pos but what is going on

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Yeah, I recall seeing it around $15 the last time I was in potatoland.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I recall seeing it around $15 the last time I was in potatoland.
The game is 28 EUR = ~ 31.5 USD on Steam

If I was to buy directly from the official site, it's 35.98 € for me

Just keep praising Age of Decadence around here so that the lurker called Avellone would have a good excuse to ditch the dreaded Arcanum "Let's play" and start an AoD "let's play" instead!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suppose it doesn't matter if he swaps one game where he dies in the first fight for another, eh?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
I suppose it doesn't matter if he swaps one game where he dies in the first fight for another, eh?

I thought in this game you can avoid combat if you can play as a fotomodel with maximum charisma.... :(

Or maybe the Codex staff should emotionally blackmail him to do this for Codex hooking him up with Larian

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Angree Ho would review it and Sven and Fargo did a shoutout pn their twitter it would mean at least 10k more sales

Mychkine

Educated
AoD is announced among the next issue highlight in oct.1st Canard PC issue. 'hope they'll like it.

m_s0

Arcane
I thought in this game you can avoid combat if you can play as a fotomodel with maximum charisma.... :(
That's pretty much the character he made for his Arcanum playthrough. And then he proceeded to utilize the strengths of that character by engaging in melee with everything in sight.

Deleted member 7219

If AoD has full support with GOG Galaxy (cloud saves, achievements - fuck off, I like achievements for games like AoD, that way I can track stuff I've missed), I'll buy another copy of it on that service.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Emphasize the fact that it's an RPG that isn't about saving the world, doesn't have elves or dwarves and where the only thing you're expected to care about is yourself.

Basically the pitch for Planescape: Torment. Though hopefully, unlike that game, it won't take another decade to find success.:troll:
Truely right. One thing that is not enough pointed out: AoD is a social relation cRPG.As you said, no monsters, no other races, only human beings.In this game, it's the jungle where everyone wants to rise in power, fuck the others to reach their goals.It's a very political kind of game in its human relation aspect.Some are interested to rule the others, some want to gain knowledge, and the PC is right in the middle.It's up to the player to decide how to survive in this jungle.After all, it's a perfect illustration for The Black Company quoting
So outside of the hardcore mechanics, maybe this could attract new customers?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You'd be surprised how much people love their elves and dwarves. The lack of them would actually reduce interest, lulz. I've noticed this among my colleagues and friends who are into fantasy. Though I don't think they'd be interested in a game like AoD anyway. It's very hard for me to tell whether AoD's setting and premise would raise interest on a big scale. I do think it's a good idea to point it out though. At least people who are sick of elves would look at it with hope.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It's very hard for me to tell whether AoD's setting and premise would raise interest on a big scale. I do think it's a good idea to point it out though. At least people who are sick of elves would look at it with hope.

Exactly. Besides, it is not as if post-apocalyptic settings were such a subversive idea anymore. Isn’t the Kingdom Come’s slogan “Dungeons and no dragons”? Instead of presenting itself as a general cRPG and play safe, they should embrace AoD experience. If you anticipate the fact that narrative reveals itself like a top notch CYOA, the teleportation thing makes more sense. If you emphasize that is a hardcore game in opposition to streamlined modern games, the countless deaths and reloads sound more reasonable. If you explain how most cRPGs are self-indulgent and have the same old common places, and they want to tear them apart, the game is less shocking.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
The main deterrent is graphics quality and not the lack of elves and dwarfs.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Guys, I just discovered that there is a thing that the young ones call Facebook, in which lots and lots of individuals gather in communities to talk about cRPG and Games of Thrones related stuff. Apparently, posting in these communities can increase the awareness about AoD and, therefore, increase the sales.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That was well before gabeN decided to allow everything on Steam, mainly so we could have Shower With Your Dad Simulator

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I suggest you put some furries into the game, I mean look at the Undertale sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom