Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Vanilla WoW emulation

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tbh my possible next server project is the one to go for #Shilling

I really don't get the prevalent attitude in this thread. A single incident happens and you're ready to ditch an entire server, even if it's the only viable WoW private server currently online, and the second to have ever been successful alongside Nostalrius. Elysium and Zeth still draw huge numbers, I rolled a toon there and I'm having a blast.

Care to defend the alternatives? So far we have
-Gummycraft : Unreleased and small team, who knows with how many bugs. Where will they even host?
-Crestfall : Unreleased and hosting in America?? Enjoy your lawsuits...
-Hellgrounds : Also unreleased. Don't know much about this one.
-Nightsomething, don't remember the name : In the middle of a developing drama after logs were published showing them plotting to steal code from all the other servers. Off to a good start.

None of these servers are guaranteed to draw the required 1000 and above active players needed to not have a dead server. None of them are guaranteed to withstand Blizzard take down notices. Elysium is the only current project worth investing the absurd amount of time it takes to level. They accept donation which is reassuring in more ways than one. They're hosting in Russia? I doubt Blizzard will ever try to take them down.
Now I'm open to discussion but convince me I'm wrong here.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Dunno about Crestfall, but I do know Gummy's server (the one I'm most interested in by the way, I'm very tired of Vanilla) is gonna be hosted in the States.

As far as rumors go, people also seem to mention Gummy as having a precedent in raging and quitting on his previous servers. I hope those are only rumors.

Zetor

Arcane
FOR ONE DAY SOON, THE DAWN WILL COME I have a dream that someone will eventually make a BC server that isn't shit. It'll also be hosted in a DMCA/ACTA-proof country with owners that a) don't expose their identities b) aren't shitheels and c) have a professional drama-free team of coders and GMs who work tirelessly without pay...

... yeah right.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Dunno about Crestfall, but I do know Gummy's server (the one I'm most interested in by the way, I'm very tired of Vanilla) is gonna be hosted in the States.

As far as rumors go, people also seem to mention Gummy as having a precedent in raging and quitting on his previous servers. I hope those are only rumors.
No, Gummy did just that. Apparently a good coder/developer but prone to throwing a shit fit and quitting.

Ok I'm too lazy to look it up now, which one is the PvP server to go? Anathema?
Anathema, Elysium and Zeth'Kur are all PvP realms.

I really don't get the prevalent attitude in this thread. A single incident happens and you're ready to ditch an entire server, even if it's the only viable WoW private server currently online, and the second to have ever been successful alongside Nostalrius. Elysium and Zeth still draw huge numbers, I rolled a toon there and I'm having a blast.
It's just bored drama queens doing their thing. Observe for example this poster:
I'm going to
Who is clueless enough to not know that players have always been able to change their password through the website control panel but that recently, after players demanded it, they added the function in-game as well, when they introduced Two-Factor Authentication.

Or you can observe this poster:
Apparently this has been going on for a month, all the while they were accusing numerous players banned for having their accounts breached of being wildly irresponsible with their account names and passwords.
Who is retarded enough to confuse two things: gold sellers accessing people's accounts because they used same user name/password combinations on other pservers AND the entirely separate issue of a security flaw in Mangos that enabled some dudes to create a bunch of characters with good gear out of thin air. Flaw has been patched and all the characters related banned but that isn't going to stop the conspiracy theorists from sperging out.

After all, it is highly entertaining.

Last edited:
As far as rumors go, people also seem to mention Gummy as having a precedent in raging and quitting on his previous servers.

If he is enough of an egomaniac to name his server after himself that definitively puts him at a risk of throwing a tantrum that spirals into a meltdown whenever someone hurts his ego.

I don't doubt a bunch of russians running a vaguely legal operation by US standards might be up to backroom deals with chinese gold farmers. As long as they don't go overboard with it I even find this reassuring in a way, because you know they have a reason to maintain the servers strong and fresh as long as they can.
Take Nostalrius for example, they were refusing donations and it was difficult to find any relation between them and a chinese laundering scheme of sort. Then it turned out that their entire motivation for running this server was to impress Blizzard and get hired, throwing the entire playerbase under the bus as soon as Blizzard asked them to.

which one is the PvP server to go? Anathema?

Pick Zeth'Kur if you want to take it easy. It will eventually be merged with Elysium, its slightly older twin server, when the activity decreases. Both Zeth and Elysium are new servers where you can feel relevant even at low levels but Zeth has an easier leveling experience with only half the competition for spots.
Zeth has less chinese farmers too.

have always been able to change their password through the website control panel
You mean the "I forgot my password" feature that didn't work for quite a while because their email server was broken? And no, they did not have the big button that said "reset my password" beforehand, you had to click "Forgot your password?" beforehand and that was only accessible when you were logged out, which is confusing and fucking stupid.
Why else would you think that there was an initial ingame '.account' command? Because people are somehow playing the game without access to the website or their email accounts?
Who is retarded enough to confuse two things: gold sellers accessing people's accounts because they used same user name/password combinations on other pservers AND the entirely separate issue of a security flaw in Mangos that enabled some dudes to create a bunch of characters with good gear out of thin air.
:stupid:
The staff admitted that the database got breached and they fixed it, and that it was an issue for nearly a month.
The developers admitted that the database got breached and they fixed it, and that it was an issue for nearly a month.
The head administrator admitted that the database got breached and they fixed it (although in russian), and that it was an issue for nearly a month.
You don't just have a security flaw that lets you shit out characters, gold, NPC skills and items at the same time in some mysterious way. The database was breached. The elysium team admitted that the database was breached after someone was dropping insane amounts of gold on streamers to catch attention on the problem.
Mangos has unsalted MD5's used for passwords and details, and the 2way auth arrived after the database breach, which means that there was 0 protection, and there were many relevant accounts that didn't have re-used account information that got breached.

Am I going to imply that people aren't stupid and re-use passwords on shitty vanilla servers? No.
Am I going to imply that you shouldn't play Elysium? If you're looking for a vanilla server, no. Just don't expect AQ or Naxxramas to ever work or exist.

But don't worry Garfucko, I'll make sure to not criticize anything or point out the flaws in the server again, and I'll join your defense forces by starting to downvote issues on reddit and reporting threads on the forums, god forbid people discuss about the issues on the server they play on, you nightelf looking motherfucker.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You mean the "I forgot my password" feature that didn't work for quite a while because their email server was broken? And no, they did not have the big button that said "reset my password" beforehand, you had to click "Forgot your password?" beforehand and that was only accessible when you were logged out, which is confusing and fucking stupid. Why else would you think that there was an initial ingame '.account' command? Because people are somehow playing the game without access to the website or their email accounts?
There wasn't an initial ".account password" command because Nostalrius had turned it off way back when. You claimed that there was no way to reset your password, which was a lie. Don't try to backpedal out of it now. Their email server was working, based on their announcements it was Yahoo and Hotmail and some German provider who were filtering Elysium emails due to high volume. So you were mistaken on that aspect as well.

The staff admitted that the database got breached and they fixed it, and that it was an issue for nearly a month.
The developers admitted that the database got breached and they fixed it, and that it was an issue for nearly a month. The head administrator admitted that the database got breached and they fixed it (although in russian), and that it was an issue for nearly a month.
You don't just have a security flaw that lets you shit out characters, gold, NPC skills and items at the same time in some mysterious way. The database was breached. The elysium team admitted that the database was breached after someone was dropping insane amounts of gold on streamers to catch attention on the problem. Mangos has unsalted MD5's used for passwords and details, and the 2way auth arrived after the database breach, which means that there was 0 protection, and there were many relevant accounts that didn't have re-used account information that got breached.
You can't see account passwords from inside the game. Download Mangos and set up your own server, you'll see. So the people who managed to give their accounts access to .additem command could not "hack" other people's accounts. That's why they were two separate issues but I'm not surprised that morons confuse the two things.

Am I going to imply that you shouldn't play Elysium? If you're looking for a vanilla server, no. Just don't expect AQ or Naxxramas to ever work or exist.
Nano posted at launch that they were "almost" done with AQ and War Effort and there's no logical reason to think he was lying. Nostalrius had had both AQ20 and AQ40 on PTR before they closed down.

But don't worry Garfucko, I'll make sure to not criticize anything or point out the flaws in the server again, and I'll join your defense forces by starting to downvote issues on reddit and reporting threads on the forums, god forbid people discuss about the issues on the server they play on, you nightelf looking motherfucker.
No worries, Mr.PeePee. I have no problem with people discussing actual shortcomings, like how one update broke Rogue Vanish and Warlock Summoning and it took them over a week to fix it. I really couldn't care less about Reddit drama, so since it's blatantly obvious that you joined Codex just recently and possibly just for this thread - "Joined: Dec 13, 2016" - you might want to just go back to Reddit and stir the drama pot over there.

You can't see account passwords from inside the game. Download Mangos and set up your own server, you'll see. So the people who managed to give their accounts access to .additem command could not "hack" other people's accounts. That's why they were two separate issues but I'm not surprised that morons confuse the two things.
What does literally any of that have to do with a breach in the database?
We're not talking about some random kiddie getting a stolen admin account and going ham on dot commands, this was constantly stomped in by the developers in question threads, yet people still leave some kind of magical tidbits of GM accounts being created out of the blue and other retarded shit being spewn around, and I have no idea where anyone would be getting this half-baked information when there was no verification of it, ever.
But maybe the people who have actual access to the logs and the servers themselves are so stupid that they mistook someone "giving their accounts access to .additem" as a database breach, and GarfunkeL here is too smart for that and saw trough that, and understood that it was ingame admin commands all along.

certainly said person wouldn't have just made a macro that uses /who and '.account set password AccountName Hunter5 Hunter5' instead to cause the same amount of damage though, certainly all these accounts getting hit by chinese bots were to bruteforcing and previous private server user detail matchmaking.
"Joined: Dec 13, 2016" - you might want to just go back to Reddit and stir the drama pot over there.
God forbid I have the ability to argue with someone who has been retarded on RPGcodex for nearly 9 years.
I'll make sure to not use an alt for arguments make thousands of posts and wait a few good years before I start arguing with someone who is using made up shit as an argument.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So much teen drama over private servers. Just sit back and wait for Blizzard to make legacy servers. Or deal with the shit that ALWAYS comes with every private server and stop QQing.

What does literally any of that have to do with a breach in the database?
We're not talking about some random kiddie getting a stolen admin account and going ham on dot commands, this was constantly stomped in by the developers in question threads, yet people still leave some kind of magical tidbits of GM accounts being created out of the blue and other retarded shit being spewn around, and I have no idea where anyone would be getting this half-baked information when there was no verification of it, ever.
But maybe the people who have actual access to the logs and the servers themselves are so stupid that they mistook someone "giving their accounts access to .additem" as a database breach, and GarfunkeL here is too smart for that and saw trough that, and understood that it was ingame admin commands all along.

certainly said person wouldn't have just made a macro that uses /who and '.account set password AccountName Hunter5 Hunter5' instead to cause the same amount of damage though, certainly all these accounts getting hit by chinese bots were to bruteforcing and previous private server user detail matchmaking.

This post is unreadable. What are you even trying to say?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Good thing there's a PvE server with decent population (Darrowshire?). Fuck PvP and getting ganked by maxed out twinks and cheaters.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Literally every post Mr.PeePee has ever made is in this thread. Conclusion: raving lunatic who probably Googles for WoW private server threads on gaming forums and then proceeds to spam them with his inane conspiracy theories and ridiculous bullshit.

Literally every post Mr.PeePee has ever made is in this thread. Conclusion: raving lunatic who probably Googles for WoW private server threads on gaming forums and then proceeds to spam them with his inane conspiracy theories and ridiculous bullshit.
I'm still confused on why you're denying what was said by the developers as conspiracy theories and ridiculous bullshit, and ignoring the concept that alternative accounts exist.

Autistic ramblings and button usage for arguments aside, http://forums.crestfall-gaming.com/index.php?/topic/1821-legacy-gaming-network-—-a-new-chapter-begins/

We are pleased to announce that, effective immediately, Crestfall and Elysium are entering into an official partnership, in the creation of a joint Legacy Network.

You may be asking yourself right now, "What does this mean? What happens to my Elysium characters? Is Crestfall cancelled now?"

In the short term, little will change. The Crestfall team's first priority is still the development of Benediction, formerly known as the Jadefire emulator. However, some members of our team will be working with the staff at Elysium, and vice versa, with the further possibility of transitioning them to the Benediction core when it is ready. Furthermore, since we are now a partnership, we will be sharing development resources, expertise and contacts. In effect, the projects will be operating out of the same resource pool. We absolutely intend for Benediction to be the new standard, if not the final word, in WoW emulation, and this partnership will help bring that intention to reality.

In the medium term, when Benediction is ready to go, the Crestfall project will still commence the Vanilla stage of it's PTE experience by launching fresh PTE realms. After that, we will focus on finishing content for Benediction TBC, so that we can launch "Legacy Crusade", a TBC-only server, as well as prepare for Crestfall's TBC progression phase. What happens after that? Well.. only time will tell.

In the end, we have a partnership between a Vanilla-only realm (Elysium), a TBC-only realm (Legacy Crusade), and a PTE realm (Crestfall), with close co-operation between the staff of all three projects. Players get stability, security, performance, compatibility, a huge community to interact with, and a vastly experienced and dedicated team overseeing the operation.

We hope you can see the huge benefits to all parties from this arrangement, and you understand why we're so excited about it. In the coming weeks and months you'll see some of the results of this new partnership taking root. Finally, private server developers are working together to provide a unified network, where players can experience Legacy WoW in whatever manner they choose, on whatever expansion they choose, without having to jump between competing projects. We want this to mark a new era of inter-project co-operation - to the benefit of all.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Does anyone have any idea when Gummy's server might be released? I know he kept post-poning any release date until eventually giving up on releasing any date at all.
I'm really starting to itch after a good TBC server. I'd play on a properly scripted one just to be able to go through all the quest chains as a hunter and then running some heroics/kara. Gummy's looks very promising from the looks of his videos, but I'm afraid it'll end up as Corecraft 2.0.

Does anyone have any idea when Gummy's server might be released? I know he kept post-poning any release date until eventually giving up on releasing any date at all.
I'm really starting to itch after a good TBC server. I'd play on a properly scripted one just to be able to go through all the quest chains as a hunter and then running some heroics/kara. Gummy's looks very promising from the looks of his videos, but I'm afraid it'll end up as Corecraft 2.0.
https://www.burning-crusade.com/forums/index.php/topic/1016-game-testing-ii/
soon™

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So basically it is still Elysium or nothing.

Made an account there. Is Anathema the old Nostalrius server? I tried playing on Elysium for a couple of days and i haven't had a single problem with logging queues and the like. Not sure if i should stick to this one or go to Anathema, which is high pop but not as crowded. There's Zeth too but that may be a bit too low pop.

Wulfstand

Prophet
If you just want to fuck around and have some fun until 60, then pick Zeth'Kur or another server that's still not far, patch-wise. There'll be loads of people still leveling up, and vanilla is meant to be played on a server with a population of 3k players anyways.
If it's end-game you want (lol), and you don't mind getting ganked by tier 2 wearing rogues as you're leveling through Stonetalon, then pick old Nost.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't know man. I managed just fine on Nostalrius, though certain parts were brutal (not so much the ganking, which i don't really mind, but the camping of mobs and shit like that). On actual vanilla WoW, i remember most of the cities were swarmed with people. For some reason, that doesn't happen on so called "blizz like" 2k pop servers.

Can you explain what this patch shit means? What does it matter that the server is behind patch-wise, and why does it take so much time to apply those "patches"? I've seen people on Elysium complain they haven't gotten AQ yet compared to Anathema/Nost. I seriously have no idea how this stuff works.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok i was just hopping around Anathema and i noticed there's no fish pools. Lol what patch is this in?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom