Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Vanilla WoW emulation

Holy shit, it's still rising and going, there's going to be a 4th server.

There's no way blizzard's lawyers won't start bombarding the server hosts with C&D at this point, wonder where they would migrate to if they did.

Naraya

Arcane
Holy shit, it's still rising and going, there's going to be a 4th server.

There's no way blizzard's lawyers won't start bombarding the server hosts with C&D at this point, wonder where they would migrate to if they did.
Definitely. I am baffled by all those people shouting "Fuck you blizzard, look at us having fun on vanilla!". I am not a lawyer but I don't doubt for a second that Blizzard's army of lawyers could force Nostlysium to close. To think otherwise is delusional. No company will allow its brand to be publicly tarnished like that.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Definitely. I am baffled by all those people shouting "Fuck you blizzard, look at us having fun on vanilla!". I am not a lawyer but I don't doubt for a second that Blizzard's army of lawyers could force Nostlysium to close. To think otherwise is delusional. No company will allow its brand to be publicly tarnished like that.

The grand irony is that the shutting down of Nostalrius last year is what made the vanilla scene and legacy server movement blow up the way it did in the first place.

Everything depends on whether this kind of publicity serves Blizzard's interests or not.

Everything depends on whether this kind of publicity serves Blizzard's interests or not.
There's some really difficult guess-work to be made by both blizzard and their lawyers upon what they would do and if they would go for a progressive server from the start for themselves.
If they shut down the server but make their own as well after the shutdown, would people be inclined to go "wow I'm sick of these restarts on private servers, I'm glad I can go to blizzard for a server that wont be decked" or if they're just going to be buttflastered enough to never touch Vanilla again.

On the other hand, if they don't act on the server and make their own, what would motivate the majority of the Vanilla crowd to not go to a free private server, and rather their option that will no doubt cost money? What kind of buzzwords do they have to feed their stockholders, "experience the journey like never before, as we allow players to revisit their ages of memories"?

It's all risky beyond hell and back and requires a decent sum amount of research and hype (which Elysium is practically feeding for them for free), and it's obvious that Blizznerds have had their eye on the progressive server idea for quite a while now. If Elysium got their 4th server going with an even bigger playerbase and queues chock up, and decided to pull the plug, there is no possibility that Blizzard wouldn't instantly joust into the scene and pick up "bag of hype 'n confusion" +2

its hip and cool to double post

Zeth'kurgabables as a new server by tommorow, maybe this means I can actually play on my character again without having to play queue simulator 2017.

zeitgeist

Magister
2xr5n0pr7p9y.jpg

We ask Elysium to join this effort for Legacy realms by stopping to use data that we provided. We know they aim at official legacy realms as we do. We have already stopped the account transfer process from our side as a first step. Nostalrius community is no longer about private servers, it is about official legacy realms.

We want to apologize to the former Nostalrius players who transferred their account. We understand that our decision to ask Elysium to stop using our data might bring you pain.

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45489

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What possible purpose could that withdrawal of data have at this point except to piss off existing players? Have Nostalrius people lost their mind or something? Not to mention they're still counting on Blizzard making official legacy servers. Just how naive can you be in some matters?

Last edited:

zeitgeist

Magister
Here's an interesting pastebin from 2 days ago, which could potentially be a leak of the planned Elysium response:

http://pastebin.com/CCaEqS32

Nevertheless, the Nostalrius administration has decided that the server relaunch has only put off the creation of official Legacy servers and is asking us to drop the data they provided us. While we disagree with their conclusion, we respect their decision and out of that respect, we will take the following actions:

Nostalrius characters will be removed on Sunday during a maintenance

We will not publish the source code nor Nostalrius data.

We will transition back to using our first core, Anathema

edit: the leak was real

KSRK3Ai.jpg

Last edited:
Elysium Team said:
Anathema Core
oh now this would be a good giggle if they actually did this, wouldn't survive over 1k players

although by Anathema core they're probably just going to change 3 variables in the core from nost/elysium combo and call it "Anathema" instead

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Elysium Team said:
Anathema Core
oh now this would be a good giggle if they actually did this, wouldn't survive over 1k players

although by Anathema core they're probably just going to change 3 variables in the core from nost/elysium combo and call it "Anathema" instead

Yeah I'm almost certain that they're just going to copy+paste nost core and rename it

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Let me translate this:

Nost team got threatened again by Blizzard for contractual breach one they wrote during their meeting and decided to pull back all reigns to not be fucked because this time they are legally bound to unlike when they were CnDd and they tugged their tail inbetween their legs like puppies, then they could've just moved the server into different service and that's a process with Mangos that takes few hours at most.

RapineDel

Augur
I get the feeling they may have planned for this which is why it all feels very neat with Elysium changing the names of everything, no way is this a Nostalrius change of heart and not them bending over in response to legal action. Highly interested to hear about what sort of legal action was/is being taken against them.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I find the extreme hate against the Nost team unfair, who wouldn't cower in fear when Blizzard launches a full legal attack against them.

It is their own fault. If they had done the common sense route, aka when their provider was CnD's they'd have simply moved the server elsewhere. Instead they wrapped up and went to visit them where they were goaded/forced to make actually legal binding contract that now made them liable of everything.

Their popularity simply put got into their heads. It's the same situation when the dude who leaked HL2 before release and thought he'd get job at Valve instead of being sued except due to PR Blizzard managed it far more tactfully for their benefit.

https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/33369-explanation-for-20170117-downtime/
elysium-transp.png.0a3a8e135a3ecee0ddf99ca4cddedb81.png.1f1a892656e3113d793811b0ef62eb8e.png

Dear Community,

Let us discuss what has caused this downtime in complete disclosure.

Two days ago a player on our server received a gift of an unusually large amount of gold. We were instantly made aware of this, began our investigation and quickly discovered that the gold was not genuine. Last night, we found an issue with the hardware and decided shut down for unscheduled maintenance. A little while after, our investigation on the gold showed us that an individual gained access to an account with modification privileges on the Anathema character database. As a result, we decided to immediately shut down all of our services to evaluate the damages, their extent and if this individual had more access.

Our System Admin and devs have isolating the breach, revamped our security, and reverted alterations. There was a lot of data to sift through and Anathema PvP is still under some investigation. Preferring to remain safer than sorry, we have kept the servers down until this afternoon to ensure beyond a shadow of a doubt that all is well. Anathema will return as soon as we are comfortable.

Before anyone starts to panic: We have secured the breach. Your data is safe (use the .account password command in-game to change your password, just in case), and any damage done has been discovered and reverted with no need for a rollback.

We have made contact with the individuals whom gained access, and they did not have the intention of harming us. Rather, they were more interested in testing our security measures. In fact, they have agreed to help us to find any remaining security breaches. As a result, we welcome Auya to the Elysium team who is tasked with making sure we are never in this position, ever again!

All in all, it has been a crazy 24 hours, but everything seems to be in hand. We will take further steps to secure our system as best as possible. While we very much doubt there will be any further issues from this event, we will let you know immediately if any should arise. The community is our primary concern, and we will not let pride prevent us from telling you the truth. Should we get ANY hint of a database leak, we will let you know immediately. However, as of now, we have no reason to be concerned this is the case. We will, though, take this opportunity to once again stress the importance of enabling your two-factor authentication. No matter what kind of attacks we may suffer now or in the future, 2FA will secure your account.

We thank you for your patience with us during the downtime, and hope today’s adventures in the world of Azeroth will make up for the time lost!

Elysium Staff

We're on a strict one breach to the database per week quota

I played on Elysium last week, every day. Leveled some characters. Overall, it's both better and worse than regular WoW as I remember it from when I played last (right before Cataclysm came out). The leveling speed, the challenge, the costs of everything, and the absence of lfg queues/tools are all much better. The game definitely feels like an MMO, unlike what WoW has become later on.

The thing that's worse about vanilla is the absolute lack of customization and viable specs, and PvP imbalances. There is only one viable tank for high end stuff (prot warrior), only one viable healer (holy priest), a handful of specs viable in PvP, most of them abusing some retarded imbalanced mechanic (e.g. PoM Pyro or infinite fear or stunlock). This is the one area where I think WoW definitely improved over time, with most specs being somewhat viable at things.

In the end though, I kinda got tired of it pretty quickly. The themepark grind fatigue set in, and the ol' brain started asking why am I doing this. Sandbox MMOs is what we need...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
All in all this whole thing has been a giant clusterfuck. The Nostalrius devs seemed to know what they were doing and behaved like professionals, but they turned into massive cucks the minute Blizzard gave them any attention. And the Elysium devs seemingly aren't cucks but seem to have no idea what they're doing in managing a project of this scale.

Apparently this has been going on for a month, all the while they were accusing numerous players banned for having their accounts breached of being wildly irresponsible with their account names and passwords.
xofl0Uo.jpg

how hard is it to allow people to change their passwords on the website instead of using some shoddy command that doesn't work and/or if miswritten will announce your password to everyone around you

But let's see here,
Characters "hacked" not because of a leak, but because of oudated mangos security flaws (lol early 2016),
Chinese guilded characters with extreme amount of rare items and incredibly high amounts of gold,
A 24-hour shutdown on something that should've been noticed two months ago,
"we didn't check the admin logs because we had no reason to",
Porta "designated safespace" Pottu as head gamemaster,
Mystery literal-who noname "hacker" is somehow contacted when servers are down and nobody who has the deep train of thought to cheat uses their real email,
and the head administrator flat out ignoring and lying that this was a one time incident and only gold was created.

I'm going to diagnose the situation with extreme precision and tacticool lettering:

Valkyrie Staff

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
shitters can't code. give other shitters their shitty code. later shitters cry about other shitters using their shitty code to stop using said shitty code and be shit together with them after blizzard smelled in the winds that their shitty code is outshitted by shitters. did i miss anything?

git gud and don't do wow kids. it's bad.

Ragnaros doesn't cast half of his spells and there's people in battlegrounds running around with admin powers
said warlock that did 16k dps in a raid actually did 16k dps because he was casting mob spells.

blizzard didn't even have to whip out the CnD's, server is killing itself on its own
so whats the next meme server on the horizon

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Crestfall it is.

:selfhate:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom