Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Vanilla WoW emulation

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Once again I'm going to enjoy raising my mage to level 9 before Bobby Kotick barges into Elysium server room and eats everyone

They added something for the new years as an "event" (muh blizzlike) and the server has thus crashed every 10 minutes and done a full 10 minute rollback every time.

crestfall or burning crusade pls be good

XP rates are currently set around x0.7 for quests and exploration bonuses, mob XP seems to be around x0.8 or x1.0, can't really tell.
t7wHv.png

sneaky little cunt

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
So, apparently some dude got bored and hacked in one of those gold selling sites, stole the data containing the list of people who have bought gold from them on all the biggest private servers and leaked their account and personal data. The servers are now executing , as described by one of the Kronos' GMs, "red wedding" style purges of all the listed accounts. One of the more prominent private server youtubers got caught buying gold as well and is now receiving death threats in his email. Lots of schadenfreude and drama on the reddit and forums. Great stuff!

:hero:

Last edited:

Divine Blessing

Scholar
unsubbed vanilla ret for Neocron: Beyond The Dome Of York: def quality of life decision

the nostalgia hype is entertaining, but all these... disbalances, inconveniences etc.
feels like devolution, cuz the formula hasnt changed at all, but improved.

J1M

Arcane
I'm assuming that paladins are more popular than shamans so you guys will be rolling on Alliance tomorrow?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
The servers are still up, streamers haven't stopped playing, I'm stuck in a 5k+ queue.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
The dream is real, after 2 hour queue, finally got in. Look for Buddycop, a friendly human paladin who's just too old for this shit.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Someone at Blizzard needs to leak if it's actually Blizzard DDOSing the server. If it is in fact Blizzard, then someone should DDOS them back. Fuck those assholes pushing their shitty version of WoW that they fucked up over the years.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Someone at Blizzard needs to leak if it's actually Blizzard DDOSing the server. If it is in fact Blizzard, then someone should DDOS them back. Fuck those assholes pushing their shitty version of WoW that they fucked up over the years.

Let's just for a moment entertain the idea of Blizzard ddosing private servers. What exactly is the benefit here? Retail is not a viable alternative, why bother.

So far Elysium's host has been able to deal with the ddos just fine. Something Kronos couldn't and in turn lost whole bunch of players in the process. Apparently the ddos came right after they took drastic measures against gold sellers and/or chinese, so there's a more plausible conspiracy for you.

:nocountryforshitposters:
Let's just for a moment entertain the idea of Blizzard ddosing private servers. What exactly is the benefit here? Retail is not a viable alternative, why bother.

So far Elysium's host has been able to deal with the ddos just fine. Something Kronos couldn't and in turn lost whole bunch of players in the process. Apparently the ddos came right after they took drastic measures against gold sellers and/or chinese, so there's a more plausible conspiracy for you.
Kronos's heavy downtime did not come from a DDoS, but rather them incorrectly configuring their network for the servers, they admitted this somewhere on their forums months ago.

Nostralius getting heavily influenced by DDoS'es is also a meme of its kind, as they're using one of the top notch DDoS protection supporting hosts (attacking this for even weeks would cost a hefty sum), the main issue here comes from either:
A) Mango cores inability to handle more than 15k players by default thanks to both heavy and somewhat rubbish coding
B) Server not being strong enough for the sum amount of players + mango
C) Valkyrie/Nostralius/Elysium developers once again DDoSing themselves trough horrid scripting and/or network configuration

I'd go for the good quality scripting option, most viable

Xorphitus

Scholar
Finally got into the queue yesterday and after two hours was able to make a character. Didn't get any quests completed and eventually got disconnected. Did see a level 18 running out of Ironforge as well as a couple of level 15s.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Didn't get any quests completed and eventually got disconnected.

You should be able to reconnect without a queue for some minutes after a disconnect.

Got my pally to lvl 10 in about 3 hours time. The dynamic respawn rates are retarded now, you can pretty much stand in one spot and farm the mobs as they respawn several seconds after death.

A) Mango cores inability to handle more than 15k players by default thanks to both heavy and somewhat rubbish coding
B) Server not being strong enough for the sum amount of players + mango
C) Valkyrie/Nostralius/Elysium developers once again DDoSing themselves trough horrid scripting and/or network

I'll be the first one to admit that I have zero idea about network coding and mongos, but this doesn't make a lick of sense. They can and do manually adjust the number of people that can play at one time, they were already slowly increasing max cap from 5k at the launch and up to 10k+ some hours later, while monitoring performance. Wouldn't it make sense to just leave the cap to where the server is still running optimally? Once the limit is reached, you are simply thrown in a queue and that's that. Now, the problem is that during DDOS you get bombarded by so many requests, you can't even get into a queue to begin with and the website itself is lagging and choking up constantly. Now, how do you go about blaming bad scripting/mongos for stock html template homepage not working properly. Surely a professional host should be able to take care of that at least.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Would be nice to do a dungeon together. Which level should I stop at for Deadmines?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Can go into it at 15.
Last boss is level 21.

As a healer you can enter dungeons much sooner, you will use down-ranked heals for most of your career anyway and +healing gear doesn't come into play until later. As long as you have a decent tank that doesn't send you oom mid-fight, you should be fine. Make sure to wait for a mp5 tick between spell casts and try last-hitting mobs with a wand to get the double spirit proc off.

I'm moving to Westfall now, will gladly join a Deadmines run with you, when we're both ready.

Last edited:
Now, how do you go about blaming bad scripting/mongos for stock html template homepage not working properly. Surely a professional host should be able to take care of that at least.
I made a lengthy post about this whole array of questions and statements, but I forgot to reply.
Whoops!

Anyhow, the login server and website/forum are hosted on the same server and network, server got ran over by a flood of logins, queue placements, constant checks for said queue placements and a few other wrenches in the cogs.
All this combined together made the server lack the power to feed cloudflares hungry hungry hippo service of "we're not as bad as a DDoS, but that wont stop us from eating your resources" DDoS protection.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The difference in levels (player to mob) is more pronounced in vanilla. It's a good idea for the group to be no more than three levels lower than the boss. But, yeah, healers have some leeway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom