Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Vanilla WoW emulation

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Playing a warrior completely solo is the most unfun and shittiest experience you can have in Vanilla tho. Even when you have a highlvl main providing a warrior alt with good lvling gear it can become REALLY frustrating ;)

That sounds scary.

:shittydog:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The stretch from around 20 to 40 is incredibly painful for a warrior, and the warrior class quests are all fairly hard to solo. Then when you actually get to 60 gearing as a tank costs hundreds of gold. Still, even a mediocre warrior tank will be able to find a 5-man group pretty damn quickly, and a good tank will basically be able to choose their raiding guild since they're always in demand.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The stretch from around 20 to 40 is incredibly painful for a warrior, and the warrior class quests are all fairly hard to solo. Then when you actually get to 60 gearing as a tank costs hundreds of gold. Still, even a mediocre warrior tank will be able to find a 5-man group pretty damn quickly, and a good tank will basically be able to choose their raiding guild since they're always in demand.

Isn't it for everyone who goes to Stranglethorn Vietnam.

wowscrnshot_042709_150853.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Website is broken and I can't connect. Smooth launch :D

EDIT: Also if there is any Codex presence I sure as hell hope it is on the PVP server :rpgcodex:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't have the patience for PVP servers anymore. It just makes leveling to 60 take that much longer, and I don't find the fun in being ambushed while I'm at half health fighting two mobs for what is basically a free kill. On a server with Nost's population that problem will be magnified since there will be probably 200+ people in most leveling zones, especially for the first few months after launch. I just want to solo my way to 60, I don't want to deal with grouping with people just to survive walking outside a capital city.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Shoddy launch is pretty much expected. You have 70k+ people bombarding two servers nonstop.

I managed to access character panel. It seems the progress was rolled a week or so back from where it ended. My 40 shammy is now 38. Got stuck on loading screen both times.

I myself am waiting for the fresh Elysium PVP server release in January(hopefully).

Naraya

Arcane
I never played a warrior before Nostalrius. I remember during leveling, my level 15 warrior was completely unable to kill more than 1 kobold of level 12-13 (in Loch Modan). I was sure I was doing something horribly wrong, but then some kind soul explained "the vanilla warrior levelling experience" to me. Never again, unless I found someone to group with.

The most pleasant and genuinely fun levelling experience I had was levelling an enhancement shaman in TBC. Those windfury procs and especially crits were glorious :)

hivemind

and a good tank will basically be able to choose their raiding guild since they're always in demand.
Isn't the problem the exact opposite?
Like everyone sucks your dick to tank 5mans for them, but when it comes to raids you have a hard time because basically there is only 1 warrior tank needed per 40 people and like all of the established guilds already have their tanks sorted out.

Xor

Arcane
and a good tank will basically be able to choose their raiding guild since they're always in demand.
Isn't the problem the exact opposite?
Like everyone sucks your dick to tank 5mans for them, but when it comes to raids you have a hard time because basically there is only 1 warrior tank needed per 40 people and like all of the established guilds already have their tanks sorted out.
You need at least 2 tanks for most fights, and 3 is better for clearing trash. And there are a few fights where you need 3 or 4 tanks. And I don't think I've ever been in a guild that would turn away a great tank. At the very least you recruit them as a backup.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ That. As someone who managed a raiding guild for a portion of vanilla (and this was at the early stage when guilds were forming) you never turned away a decent tank. You poached the fuck out of your server (remember, no transfers back then except for 'official' ones offered to alleviate over populated realms to other specific realms) grabbing any warrior you could. This was a time when Paladins and Druids didn't tank in raids or, if they did, were EXTREMELY rare. I think we had around five or six warriors. Since most were reliable one simply switched to Fury DPS. Others would rotate spec depending on attendance. I can't think of too many vanilla raid fights that required only one tank. Even if the fight only had one physical entity (just the boss) you usually had some mechanics that required ping-pong'ing them due to a debuff or something.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
After being told how much of a time investment it is to get to 60 and that warrior is not a pleasant lvl-up experience I have decided to wish all the brave vanilla souls farewell :salute:

Wulfstand

Prophet
After being told how much of a time investment it is to get to 60 and that warrior is not a pleasant lvl-up experience I have decided to wish all the brave vanilla souls farewell :salute:

Make some more videos though.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron

Being a warrior has nothing to do with it. It would take you several months of casual play to get to 60 no matter what class you play.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep. A lot of people forget just how long it took to level in vanilla. Assuming you don't grind it out 8+ hours a day it would indeed take a few months. Something I have zero desire to do on a server that could very well be shut down again.

Turns out this is kind of enjoyable, even the garbage "kill 14 of these low spawning mobs that take minutes to kill" go smoothly because people party up for these and talk while waiting, bear ass collecting quests are less fun and so I tend to avoid those.
Unfortunately the community seems to be made out of 10 parrots who were stuffed into a room that had a 24/7 text-to-speech program reading /pol/, which is a huge shame considering the thing that made Vanilla shine was the community aspect.

Are most of you rolling transferred characters or are you going from level 1?
also they forgot to implement the anti-cheat, woops

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Unfortunately the community seems to be made out of 10 parrots who were stuffed into a room that had a 24/7 text-to-speech program reading /pol/, which is a huge shame considering the thing that made Vanilla shine was the community aspect.

This complaint is only valid if you rolled Alliance.

Are most of you rolling transferred characters or are you going from level 1?

Couple of us are waiting for the fresh server.

also they forgot to implement the anti-cheat, woops

Source? It is my understanding they disabled it during stress-tests. Did they really forget to turn it back on?

This complaint is only valid if you rolled Alliance.
I rolled Tauren and Dwarf, and both seemed pretty identical, Alliance more on the European times and Horde more on the American times.
Source? It is my understanding they disabled it during stress-tests. Did they really forget to turn it back on?
EDIT: Sharing this alongside with a picture of my character might be dumb, whoops.
To sum up easily, injection detection is still in, but any other forms have been just dropped out for some reason.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
If I recall correctly obtaining the whirlwind axe smooths this out.

Xor

Arcane
If I recall correctly obtaining the whirlwind axe smooths this out.
Hence the painful stretch ending at 40, which is around the earliest you can get the whirlwind weapons (although the axe is the best choice there are two others.) You also get MS at that level if you're arms.

Oh whoops never mind they didn't fix it, they made the anticheat just ban anyone moving somewhere too fast, people using flightpaths or people falling off boats/getting pushed off boats by mindcontrol are getting instantly suspended. I guess waiting for fresh is a good idea at this point.

At this point I don't even think they're using nost's anticheat or core at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom