Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Van Buren tech demo

DemonKing

Arcane
I had a little play with it last night.

It seemed to capture the FO atmosphere quite well (although did anyone notice that switching to a female character results in a naked avatar in character creation?). It's also interesting to consider that the abandoned BG3: The Black Hound was going to be built around the same engine.

However, in some ways I'm not sure it needed to be released. It's only going to make FO Freaks long even more for what could have been and (probably) make them go even more ballistic when Bethesda's FO3 is released (I can see the "BIS did more right in a tech demo than Beth did in their whole game!" rants now). Perhaps that was the intention of the leaker in the first place...

I really can't imagine what it must have been like in the final days of Ineptplay when the Powers that Be were shown this and decided to cancel it and bank on console crap saving the company. It just shows how disconected they really were from what their core audience wanted.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Thrym said:
It seems cool, but the first thing that struck me was that corporal shouting about commies. What the fuck? One of the things about Fallout was that it didn't pick sides, I mean the enclave may have been sucky capitalists holding on to their blown apart country, but at least I didn't have to pretend throughout the whole game I was "fighting the capitalist pig" or some shit. So where the fuck were they going with this "My parents were commies who didn't pay attn to the siren and were bombed" theme? Cause that's not Fallout.
Guess that you ignored the intro movies in FO1 & 2 eh? Along with about 10,000,000 other obvious references...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Mother fucker!

Does it include source code or is it just a playable exe?

Briosafreak

Augur
Playable .exe .

It's not hard to hack the thing and get the music, sounds, a few models,change the camera angles and height, find Jefferson stuff...

Jack_Deth

Augur
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm sure Bethesda had something to do with the release of this. Because all you would have ever heard was, Van Buren woulda been better, etc etc.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yeah, I was thinking the exact opposite actually. I'm pretty sure former BiS staffers had something to do with it just to show the world what they would've done, so that when Bethesda fuck it up royally, we can all whine about how Van Buren would've been so much better.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Jack_Deth wrote:
I'm sure Bethesda had something to do with the release of this. Because all you would have ever heard was, Van Buren woulda been better, etc etc.

Wrong.

At first I thought it was a former BIS employee or someone from Obsidian.

But then it occured to me that it came out after Bethesda bought the Fallout license and it was at the same time as their trailer announcement. So to me it feels like it was released by Bethesda for the free publicity and to increase the hype around the coming F3.

Also if a former BIS employee released it, why did they do it now instead of months or even years ago?

These are questions that will never be answered. :)

AdrianWerner

Novice
Davaris said:
Jack_Deth wrote:

Wrong.

At first I thought it was a former BIS employee or someone from Obsidian.

But then it occured to me that it came out after Bethesda bought the Fallout license and it was at the same time as their trailer announcement. So to me it feels like it was released by Bethesda for the free publicity and to increase the hype around the coming F3.

Also if a former BIS employee released it, why did they do it now instead of months or even years ago?

These are questions that will never be answered. :)

Or maybe BIS people released it solely to piss Bethsoft off and provoke the "blah..VB was soo much better" flame wars :)

Pope_Viper

Novice
I really don't think Beth had anything to do with it.

Why would they use NMA as a source point for publicity?

Shoelip

Arbiter
I don't see how Bethesda could turn around and do something so stupid after their marketing of Oblivion. All the people that are capable of seeing how much better Van Buren looked to be will hate them even more for making FO3 nothing like it, and all those idiots in their target demographic will think it sucks and lose some enthusiasm for FO3.

Then again, maybe I'm underestimating them a bit and while they aren't capable of seeing past the instability they are in fact capable of differentiating between Van Buren frrom FO3. Still I wouldn't expect Bethesda to overestimate the intelligence of their target audience, so I'm duobtful of that.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Bethesda had nothing to do with it. The demo has been floating around for a long time, but for some reasons it was kept secret. Perfect timing though.

Pope_Viper

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Bethesda had nothing to do with it. The demo has been floating around for a long time, but for some reasons it was kept secret. Perfect timing though.

Agreed, I wonder what ole Petey was thinking after the VB demo came out, and folks seemed to care more about that then ObliviFallout

Pope_Viper

Novice
Sitra Achara said:
Pope_Viper said:
I really don't think Beth had anything to do with it.

Why would they use NMA as a source point for publicity?

Plausible deniability?

Nah, I don't think Beth would really give the fans more ammo to pound them on their version of F3.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jack_Deth said:
So far the demo seems to confirm it, so I'm not sure that would've been a wise move for Bethesda..

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Jack_Deth said:

And I'm sure they didn't.

The timing coinciding with their teaser website was a pretty funny and lucky coincidence, at that.

M0RBUS

Augur
Pope_Viper said:
Vault Dweller said:
Agreed, I wonder what ole Petey was thinking after the VB demo came out, and folks seemed to care more about that then ObliviFallout
SOME folks seemed to care more about that the Falloublivious... There are plenty of cocksucking fanboys or simply plain disillusioned bastards hoping that FO3 will stay true to its roots over at bethesda forums... And THEY don't give a damn about an unfinished alpha tech demo...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom