Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampyr - vampire action-RPG from Life Is Strange devs

DeepOcean

Arcane
It takes less 10 minutes because damage is tied to weapons and not level.And you will need to dodge regardless of your level.

Does this mean I would need about 10 minutes to kill a boss using dodge spamming and other repetetive techniques? Never played DS...
Dodging is very cheap, without any upgrades to stamina, you can spam dodge at your hearts desire, once the stamina reaches zero, you just need to wait a very short time for it to refill, they really need to make dodging more costly and make the recharge time alot more slower. Anyone that is comparing this with DS is full of bullshit, here you can spam your attacks and dodge, the stamina isn't an obstacle even without upgrades.

Getting blood becomes a non issue later so you can spam healing and your other powers too what makes you even harder to kill.

The problem with this is that enemies really can't put up a fight unless you are truly incompetent. You can fight enemies that are WAY above your level by abusing dodging, there are no hard fights on this game, only longer or shorter ones, you will win, it is just a question on how fast it will be.

If what people are talking is true and there is level scalling, then even that idea of being a good samaritan hurting you was complete bullshit too.

The combat is shit and they just place trash mobs of enemies on the streets and there is respawn too, so lots and lots of trash combat. They should have removed most of the fights on the streets and only had fights on certain places.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You can spam dodge and survive a long time(indefinitely) in a fight, the same way you can in any Dark Souls game, it doesn't help you with your boss problem though, does it . It just makes the fight incredibly long and tedious. People who complain about this are just plain retarded, how about you play the game properly and then you wont take 30 minutes to kill Mary.

As for level scaling, enemies scale to a level appropriate for the point in the story you're in, this is to prevent you from never sleeping and never facing consequences of advancing a night. If you don't rest and insist on fighting enemies 10 levels above you I can guarantee you'll have a terrible time since not only do enemies hp and damage increase but also their damage absorption.

The best way to handle leveling/combat is to level up when you see the enemies leveled up.

In short just play the game the way it was meant to be played and you'll have no problem with the combat or if you do insist on doing this games equivalent of SL1 DS run, at least have the common decency not to be a spastic fuck and complain about how enemies are too spongie for your underleveled ass.
You are full of bullshit.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
DeepOcean I think your being a bit too over dramatic. Yea the combat isn't amazingballs but making stamina regen any slower would make it only more tedious.

Cael

Arcane
Enemies that level with you ends up becoming the Lone Wolf syndrome where even your every day average cranky old man can take down a Grandmaster of the Kai by the time the Grandmaster series rolls around.

DeepOcean

Arcane
DeepOcean I think your being a bit too over dramatic. Yea the combat isn't amazingballs but making stamina regen any slower would make it only more tedious.
My storyfagness has a limit, thank God Bloodlines for example only goes full retard on the shitty combat by the end, this game wasn't so wise.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My storyfagness has a limit, thank God Bloodlines for example only goes full retard on the shitty combat by the end, this game wasn't so wise.

I mean I am gameplay fag but in this game you can basically skip most enemies by just running and dodge spamming reaally doesn't work on bosses since you get fucked if you run out of stamina. I think your main problem is that recovery time between dodges is too low and I guess I can agree to that but this game is definitely not one to play for combat.

Jokzore

Arbiter
You are full of bullshit.

From what you're saying its quite evident you haven't actually played both games you're referring to or at the very least aren't particularly good at identifying and understanding how mechanics work. Dark Souls is infinitely more forgiving with its stamina bar than Vampyr is, not only do you have more stamina to play around with from the beginning but it recharges faster and it allows you to dodge using FAR less stamina, all of which means you can ''dodge spam'' in Dark Souls for far longer than you can in Vampyr.

The issue is enemies in Vampyr are far more forgiving than they are in Dark Souls where their AI and animations are tailored for ''roll catching'', also Vampyr gives you cooldown based abilities you can cast at no cost and no windup. All of this means that while dodge spamming exists in both games only in Vampyr is it a viable tactic and only if you feel like cheesing the thing or taking on unnecessarily high level fights to prove how big your epenis is.

Sentinel

Arcane
I think the combat is pretty serviceable but the problem is that there's too much of it. Fucking respawning enemies ruin this game for me. I'm having trouble playing for more than 1 hour straight 'cause it's really tiring having these faggots respawn and fighting them all over again.

Jokzore

Arbiter
I just dashed by them, fuck respawns, they don't even give semi-decent exp. Near the end you need 1k+ for an upgrade and a 5 person fight gives 50.

Tao

Savant
So... who the fuck embrace Reid?

Because Merlin is like a blood ghost. Did "it" posses a random vampire and gave Reid super blood bc magic? I'll asume it was Merlin somehow lol

Plot wise this game makes little sense at the end with the bloodgods entities. But overall, untill then, everything else it's pretty straightfoward

Gameplay wise i just want to add to the already said that 4 active abilities at max is a retard design choice. Combat could improve by just letting us use more skills. You are force to make a build in a game where there is little point to do it. Plus it takes the fun away to experiment.

Why did i need an antidote?
Is it the same one William gave to Elizabeth?
If it is, why didn't he just make two of them?
If he's a monster craving blood, how did he have enough sense to agree to be locked in a castle?
If he didn't feed in centuries how did he escape the Great Hunt?
If Arthur was a vampire (of same lineage as Dr. Reid), why didn't Geoffrey turn into one after drinking his blood? Reid sired his sister by accident.

-To dont get infected fighting the Disaster
-It's the same formula but not the same ingredients. Only one dosis could be made. Reid make another dosis with the Willian's blood (pre-infected) that Redgave had.
-He only bited Elisabeth, then looked for a cure. Then he asked her to care for him. The monster was Elisabeth pretty much.
-Elisabeth arranged to move his coffin from the St Paul Temple to the castle a few years before the 1st Great Hunt.
-To make a vampire one must die with vampire blood ingested i think

Not a good game, not a terrible one either. For a vampire game rarity is worth the time, but not the actual money they ask for imo.

I would play a secuel if they improve the obvious flaws and lack of actual gameplay direction.

zaper

Yes.
Developer
Does anyone else think Vampyr has been one of the dullest games in the history of RPGs? Each chapter following the vampire doctor and his acquaintances from London as they fight the plague has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the grim imagery, the game’s only consistency has been its lack of excitement in combat and the ineffective use of dialogue trees, all to make interactions inconsequential, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Dontnod vetoed the idea of customizing your character outside of spells and abilities; they made sure the game would never be mistaken for anything other than a visual novel glued in with a combat that serves as a poor imitation of From Software’s Bloodborne.

The Vampyr game might be profitable (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in its refusal of choice, branching, and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

a-at least the npcs were good though r-right

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the quests were terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time the MC was introduced to a new NPC, the character once again presented itself as “Dr Johnatan Reid, recently returned from the war and investigating a cure for the plague.”

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. The writers’ mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that they have no other style of writing.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of the game on RPG Codex. Someone wrote something to the effect of, "If these casuals are playing Vampyr at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to play games made by Obsidian. And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Vampyr" you are, in fact, trained to play Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Does anybody think the game would be better off being a "vampire sherlock" adventure instead of begin a dull open world action rpg.I mean every single element that isn't the dialogue system is boring or dreadful.
Open world makes the game the biggest chore thanks to the stupid trash mobs,npc sickness bullshit,level design being samey regardless of district and having no fast travel.What is the point of presenting a poor London's district multiplied several times.It doesn't help that you collect literal trash from the streets.

And what the hell were they thinking making a narrative focused game with voiced dialogue only?That cuts the entire conversation system to only a couple of lines per npc,that is boring.
But then again there are the same people who made a above 10 hour game have no manual saves so it no surprise.

And is it just me or do rats give way too much blood,almost as much as humans?Cause that is just laughable.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Tried to play as a sociopath, eating all the npcs as soon as feasible.

Didn’t really feel like the game responded to it too well, at least in the early stages that I’m up to - Reid is still overly polite and helpful in most dialogues despite my attempts to make him a massive asshole and I had a particularly jarring experience where I murdered the gay guy instantly in the sewer after rescuing him then ran into his boyfriend and launched into a sermon on being open about his sexuality and enjoying the rest of his life with his lover...who I just murdered and ate.

Plus what is with all the trash combat, it’s like they tried to emulate bloodlines but specifically chose the shittest thing to copy - huge swathes of crappy, clunky combat then threw all the good things they could have copied in the bin. Hell, at least with bloodlines it was only the last few levels and not the whole damn game.:negative:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Does anyone else think Vampyr has been one of the dullest games in the history of RPGs? Each chapter following the vampire doctor and his acquaintances from London as they fight the plague has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the grim imagery, the game’s only consistency has been its lack of excitement in combat and the ineffective use of dialogue trees, all to make interactions inconsequential, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Dontnod vetoed the idea of customizing your character outside of spells and abilities; they made sure the game would never be mistaken for anything other than a visual novel glued in with a combat that serves as a poor imitation of From Software’s Bloodborne.

The Vampyr game might be profitable (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines in its refusal of choice, branching, and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

"No!"

The writing is dreadful; the quests were terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time the MC was introduced to a new NPC, the character once again presented itself as “Dr Johnatan Reid, recently returned from the war and investigating a cure for the plague.”

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. The writers’ mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that they have no other style of writing.

Later I read a lavish, loving review of the game on RPG Codex. Someone wrote something to the effect of, "If these casuals are playing Vampyr at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to play games made by Obsidian. And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play "Vampyr" you are, in fact, trained to play Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire.

Everything you say is true.
They got the atmosphere right, but not much else.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

"No!"

While Vampyr's writing is retarded and dull, it's also not infuriatingly bad while PoE and PoE2 writing is much worse.

frajaq

Erudite
Damn, I was expecting a bit more reactivity on the endings based on the people I choose to feed on each district, didn't know it was just gonna tally up the total feed to give me one of the four endings. Oh well

Game is overall what I expected, a 6.5/10 AA game, will probably buy on some sale

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, writing seemed fine, aside from a few parts like a few conversations and the end for example like several people mentioned. Only thing I dislike about the dialogue system with the hints is it doesn't seem to do anything aside from increasing blood quality, that just plain sucks. Don't think sidequests do anything as well except giving you some exp and an item that sometimes is rare and most times is similar to an enemy drops.

For combat I played worse so for me it was fine as well for the most part and since I didn't sleep a lot, didn't encounter a lot of respawns, things got pretty hard at the later parts but high level potions helped. Kinda wish if cleaning a district from vampires and enemies helped the district from sickness and or anything really.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that it would have been great to have a summery of the people's fates or something depending on your involvement with them, that would have been great because right now everyone are just exp packages or something.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

This is one of the lamest complains about "writing quality" I've ever heard.
How the fuck else Dr.Jonathan Reid, who recently returned from war and happens to be investigating plague, is to introduce himself?
If you invent a new name every time you meet new people, it's a clinical case.

Considering how this gripe takes nearly half of your review, the rest can also be disregarded as drivel written in way showing how much you like the sound of your own voice.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Man, that Shadow Veil 250% damage multiplier is insane.
I almost couldn't believe this fight ended that quickly.
The game should've been just a series of psychos Dr. Reid had to deal with instead of this 'talk to a bunch of random NPCs with dark twists'.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom