Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption

So, tell me all about it. What sort of CRPG is it? What would you compare it to? How do the mechanics work? and so on.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's a party-based hack'n'slash. I doubt you'd like it.

Last time I played it was like, dunno, maybe even 8 years ago, and while I thought the first part of the game was sorta fun, the other half was so banal/shit/boring that I never actually finished it.

Mechanics? Well, chop teutonic knights by furiously clicking at them and/or suck their blaahd to activate disciplines unlockable by gaining levels. And that's basically all there is to it.

KalosKagathos

Learned
It's a Diablo clone.

With RTwP.

And a plot about a vamped knight lusting after "fair Aneska", or whatever the fuck the nun's name was.

And a script imitating Olde Englishe.

Avoid.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Blackadder said:
So, tell me all about it. What sort of CRPG is it? What would you compare it to? How do the mechanics work? and so on.

I bet you like it. It has a point n click interface + iso perspective, has a very good character system with shitloads of disciplines. It's entirely linear though. The single most irritating thing is that it's realtime, which makes the combat (which can be pretty hard difficulty wise) difficult to handle, controlling a party in realtime? In the patched version you can pause, but you can't issue/queue commands. So it goes like: pausing, switch to character, unpause, initiate action, pausing, switch to other character etc. Since all this is quite clumsy, I did for the most part rely on Christof alone, lure the enemies one after the other, use feed to kill them etc, until later in the game I killed them with high level disciplines.

Digged the atmosphere in the town and dungeons however the dungeons always felt say 1.3 or 1.5x longer than they 'should' have been. Plus I've never made it past the Nosferatu warren due it bugs aka my party members disappearing rendering it a gamebreaker.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's the Dragon Age prototype, released too early for the public to properly appreciate its genius.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is not that bad. Your standard hack & slash with WoD setting, thus quite a bit of variety available.

Had very decent manuals that came with it.

Eyeball

Arcane
Redemption is an excellent game with the glaring flaw that it was released at the height of Diablomania. I imagine the conversation at the devs went something like this:

"So, we've devised this party-based RPG with an original story and amazing setting, what do you think?"

"It's SHIT, it's not like DIABLO, everything has to be like Diablo or the punters won't buy it! Quick, change the entire user interface!"

"Uh, okay, I guess I've got, like, 15 minutes I can do that in before launch."

As a result, the finished game has a lot of half-baked hack and slash with unwieldy controls and poorly balanced vampiric disciplines (spells), some of which are completely useless and some of which are game-breakingly overpowered if abused.

Which is a shame, because Redemption has a very interesting storyline and an amazing setting, with excellent voice acting and a plot twist around 2/3rds through the game which completely renews the gaming experience.

For all its faults, I love Redemption, but only for its narrative, atmosphere, great soundtrack and presentation. As far as being an enjoyable GAME, it kind of fails.

If you liked Bloodlines, check it out, if you consider The Masquerade to be a retarded setting and vampires in general to be ultrafaggy, give it a pass.

You can get it off GoG dirt cheap: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/vampire_ ... redemption

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gameplay was weak but I enjoyed the sto... erm, no not the story, I rather liked playing with NEW and UNIQUE disciplines. You know not the classic 'magic missile' but instead something else.

But its basically a hack and slash with shit characters and story. And easy too - I remember playing through the first 1/4 of the game solo (with allies dead cause I thought they shared my xp and I didnt want that). Final boss was tough. Has some C&C in the end, but introduced in a bad way - one choice at the end and thats t.

oscar

Arcane
Sounds like it could of been an awesome rpg. Diablo has a lot to answer for.

Radisshu

Prophet
It's not very good. Really melodramatic, shitty actiony combat, half-assed voice acting, you can't create your own character and are forced to play a Brujah. I didn't get that far, because it sucked, but it was really linear when I played it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Radisshu said:
It's not very good. Really melodramatic, shitty actiony combat, half-assed voice acting, you can't create your own character and are forced to play a Brujah courier.

How familiar.

Radisshu

Prophet
racofer said:
Radisshu said:
It's not very good. Really melodramatic, shitty actiony combat, half-assed voice acting, you can't create your own character and are forced to play a Brujah courier.
thread_incliner.png

How original.

Radisshu

Prophet
- Hey guys, what's that over there?
- OH SHIT, it's...

thread_incliner.png

- RACOFER, GET OUT OF THE WAY! You're blocking that interesting thing we saw!

Pablosdog

Prophet
It was just a pretty average hack and slash with some interesting back story on the Vampire the masquerade lore(All while shitting on it at the same time)

Phelot

Arcane
It's funny, this game divides so many people. You either thought it was good or bad.

I thought it was good mostly for the reasons mentioned. yes, the story was absurdly lame, but I liked the setting, the stats, and the music.

I believe I stopped playing once I was a bit into the modern era (London, I believe?)

The editor was sort of fun though, you could setup battles with skeletons holding submachine guns and police riot shields

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom