Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve - If we have to sell console hardware we will

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Click here and disable ads!
    Indeed, it took tons of creativity and effort to 'develop' Portal 2 and L4D2. Same mechanics, pretty much the same art assets, and very little new content. Portal 2 had... what a six or seven hour long single player campaign coupled with a static six or seven hour long co-op (experience is the same every time)? They added a few new hazards and tricks but it's basically Portal... just not the two hour edition. L4D2 could literally have been released as a $10 DLC for L4D and no one would have batted an eye. It added three new infected, melee weapons, and four or five new maps? And their next trick is Dota 2 (which, let's be honest, is just a means of marketing the Steam platform even further and gouging morons with microtrasactions for hats, skins, new heroes, flags, etc.)! Whoa... slow down there, Valve. Don't bust a vessel pumping out these revolutionary sequels. It's the same shit Activision does with Call of Durpies but since it's Valve doing the people slurp it up.

Those are the facts. I'd wager the reason for the HL3 delay is them deciding whether or not they want to make it a cover shooter with regenerating health, removing the physics puzzles, and extended the length of the vehicle sections tenfold.
    ^ Top  
  2. Multi-headed Cow Arcane

Multi-headed Cow
    On the topic of concept art, there was this mentioned about a year ago.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/22/u...sts-brand-new-project-spoilers-gordon-absent/
    Some better/more pictures from other articles if you're inclined to root around.

It's also worth keeping in mind that since Valve is basically independently wealthy and an independent company without being on the stock market, they seemingly just make whatever the fuck they want to. Assuming you trust interviews and articles by Valve employees, their process for starting a new game is sitting around bullshitting until they hit something the majority of the employees are excited about. L4D2 and Portal 2 and DotA2 all came from this, and supposedly the Glorious God Gaben of Mankind has said he's played DotA2 for 800 hours already. It kinda just sounds like nobody it Valve is that interested in HL3/episode 3.
    ^ Top  
  3. DarthBehemoth Learned

DarthBehemoth
    Valve's best feature is that it doesn't listen to the consoleturd crowd. An example of this is Portal. Nobody was asking for this kind of game, and even Valve doubted it's succes. But it turned out all fine in the end. Valve just knows how to please everyone. With Portal 2, I still remembered Dragon Age 2 and kinda was expecting the puzzles to be dumbed down, include guns or even bullet time nonense. But Portal 2 was just more of the same. Is that bad? Some might say yes, but wasn't more of the same exactly what the portal/valve/steam fanboys were asking for?

I bet this is why Half-Life 3 is taking so long. HL2 + Shiny new graphics just isn't going to impress people these days. They HAVE to incorporate some shit from COD MW3 into their games. They're just wondering what to tweak and what to leave alone when developing HL3
    ^ Top  
  4. Alexandros Liturgist

Alexandros
    Yeah I know. I was just theorizing on how Valve might have to respond in the (unlikely due to anti-tust issues) event that Microsoft "outlaws" them from Windows through mandatory use of the Windows Store.
    ^ Top  
  5. Oriental European Learned

Oriental European
    Tags: Valve, Steam, Go Gaben.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console
    ^ Top  
  6. 20 Eyes Liturgist

20 Eyes
    Gaben is playing chess while the rest of the industry is playing checkers.
    ^ Top  
  7. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    So it's basically a PC? Well, I guess that's nice, I mean, I've got one stronger than the specs so I wouldn't get it, but at least it sounds a shit-ton more powerful than the other consoles.

Would be kind of interesting if it gets made and really sells well.
    ^ Top  
  8. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Christ.
    ^ Top  
  9. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    It's probably just a Valve-branded PC (like AlienWare), with pre-installed Steam ('cause retards are too stupid to do that on their own).
    ^ Top  
  10. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    i7? Why? There is no improvement with i7 over i5 for games, and it cost much more, guess they didn't care to change the perception that gaming PC cost 1k$ so expensive lolz.

But I guess that isn't important for the mainstream, most people are perfectly happy to pay 3 times more for the same hardware with a popular logo. Most people who will buy this shit will probably had no idea that they could just plug they PC to the TV, and will think that this is some technical revolution, not that they party like its early 90s.
    ^ Top  
  11. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    But bigger numbers sound better!
    ^ Top  
  12. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Are there gonna be Steam Box exclusives too that can't run on a normal PC? I still don't see the point in this, since the PC is already an open platform.
    ^ Top  
  13. Spellcaster Arcane

Spellcaster
    Their point is to be the new Apple, in all possible ways. There won't be benefits for PC gamers, that's for sure. One can only hope there won't be much harm too.
    ^ Top  
  14. Alexandros Liturgist

Alexandros
    Actually their point is to be the anti-Apple. A Steam console would be a great way to expand the PC audience and lure the general public away from other consoles.
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Steam "console" should be a custom-built PC, designed to match the power of the current console generation plus X.
    It would be a kind of technological parasitism. In acknowledging the consoles' general market superiority, it's possible to market a product specifically designed to outdo them in every way, and carve out a strong niche.

In other words, I'm suggesting that the SteamBox could use its own underdog position vis-a-vis the consoles as a marketing bullet point.
    ^ Top  
  16. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    The point is that normally PC sales have to bring in enough revenue on their own to support the business. Everyone knows that any pre-made PC is at least 2x overpriced compared to what a self-built PC would be (and another 50% when you consider that buying in bulk would cut your costs), thats because of all the overhead and bullshit you get when you bring in a middleman like Dell to sell it to you. OTOH, Valve can price the PC at competitive rates even if they don't make much profit, because steam sales would drive them (much like consoles). I doubt this will interest anyone already owning and building their PC, its to take a bite out of the consoletard crowd.

As for i7 vs i5, AFAIK the chips are fabbed exactly the same and the i5 is simply crippled later before sold. I bet that means that when bought in bulk the actual cost is really close (its already only like ~$60 at retail). Plus I'm sure Intel and Nvidia want this to succeed and bring back the high end PC market, so you can be sure they are both giving Valve the best deals they can.

The rest of the article also has interesting stuff. It sounds like Valve is really pulling out all the stops and putting their mountain of jew-gold to work
    Infinitron Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  17. TripJack Hedonist Patron

TripJack
    will the valve box require an internet connection to boot

:smug::dance::smug:
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Bingo! Excellent point.
    ^ Top  
  19. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Windows Store... now I remember why I decided to boycott Windows 8 besides its shitty iFag interface.

Once "Trusted" Computing fascism takes over I'll be among the last men standing to "turn off the lights" of free Internets and mourn such a terrible loss... and then become a technophobe as I'd never accept purchasing any IT device the government and corporations own and control instead of me.
    Alex Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  20. Spellcaster Arcane

Spellcaster
    Assuming their console will be closer to PCs than to other consoles. If that's the case, why aren't they calling it a Valve Computer or something like that?

So here's this new little cub we're going to sell. It's a cat. Let's name him "Rex The Dog", so both dogs and cats lovers will be interested.

Sounds promising and honest since day 1.
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Nobody's calling it anything yet. They say 'hardware'.
    ^ Top  
  22. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    Maybe market has a place from reasonably priced pre build PC with popular brand behind, and one that wouldn't look out of place in a living room, but I must first see the confirmed specs, and price to know what they are aiming at, they might just want to cash on Steam fanatics who will overpay for hardware with Steam logo for what I know.

Still i7 is pretty pointless, and every extra few backs count for the final price.
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
  24. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Well, this better be comparably as powerful as the Xbox 720/PS4.

I don't see this happening though if they wanna run a standard (or custom-made) Windows on it. Valve would have to provide it's own OS, which isn't a trivial thing to begin with.
    ^ Top  
  25. Kraszu Prophet

Kraszu
    All Windows eats is 1-2% of decent CPU, and 1GB RAM completely negligible.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)