Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valve - If we have to sell console hardware we will

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Custom hardware in a partnership with Falcon Northwest. All your gabegolds for a custom PC stamped with the valve logo. Greasy finger prints pre-applied.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Gabe is a pretty cool guy overall, but sometimes he just needs to shut the fuck up. All this talk about innovation, but still no HL3...

Also Tablet gaming is like totally shit at this point. Not sure if the next homeconsoles are gonna change that though.

I rather want developers concentrate on improving their story telling/gameplay skills and craftsmanship instead toying around with silly gimmicks and sell it to us as innovation (Kinect).

SoupNazi

Why did I get alerted about this thread, I don't even watch it

racofer

Thread Incliner
Gabe is a pretty cool guy overall, but sometimes he just needs to shut the fuck up. All this talk about innovation, but still no HL3...

Also Tablet gaming is like totally shit at this point. Not sure if the next homeconsoles are gonna change that though.

I rather want developers concentrate on improving their story telling/gameplay skills and craftsmanship instead toying around with silly gimmicks and sell it to us as innovation (Kinect).

I just figure you're jealous that he gets to have both a vagina belly AND a games industry job, and you can't get either.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I'm waiting until the holiday sales before I buy any Valve hardware.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I felt it was more of a thread for discussion on this specific topic, so I moved it out of the Half Life 3 thread Morgoth.

racofer

Thread Incliner

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No surprise -- they've been shifting towards being a console centric developer for a while now. That is, with what few games/IPs they actually develop.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No surprise -- they've been shifting towards being a console centric developer for a while now. That is, with what few games/IPs they actually develop.

Explain. What shift have you perceived? Is DOTA console-centric?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
L4D2 and Portal 2? DOTA isn't even their own IP... never mind the fact it's a nearly a ten year old game to boot.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
L4D2 and Portal 2? DOTA isn't even their own IP... never mind the fact it's a nearly a ten year old game to boot.

Only L4D could be thought of as console-ish. Don't see what's console-centric about a puzzle game born from an adopted indie project.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There was a discussion thread about the console-ish aspects of Portal 2 a while back. I might search for it later.

Their own console hardware? Not gonna happen.

Valve branded pre-built system lineup for gaming? I can see that in the distant future. In the near run I really don't see why they aren't already partnering up with PC shops to offer Steam + 1 or 2 free games bundled together with every pre-built system, I can only imagine that would see tremendous paybacks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Only L4D could be thought of as console-ish. Don't see what's console-centric about a puzzle game born from an adopted indie project.

How about how 99% of the game is a tutorial and 1% of the game requires thought/skill?

I would call that being a puzzle game. Each new puzzle teaches you a new portal trick. Would you really rather have a game with hours and hours of rehashing the same portal tricks, after the initial tutorial? It just wouldn't be interesting.

potatojohn

Arcane
The Steam console will come with a block of C4 that Valve can detonate at any time for any reason.

Every complaint that Valve blew up your house will be met by a plague of Steam fanboys telling you that you should've read the EULA.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Don't see what's console-centric about a puzzle game born from an adopted indie project.
This screenshot was taken of the PC version of the game.
24otwrl.jpg

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
strange, I played a unpatched version(it crashed relatively often until I got the patch, btw) and don't remember seeing that

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom