Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valkyria Chronicles IV

Viata

Arcane
Hope they tone down the dweeb-magic elements.
And tone down those cutscenes parts. Or better, stop cutting it so I don't have to select another image on a book to have another cutscene. I don't know if they fixed that in 2 and 3, but in 1, that is killing me.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
This time around the enemy Valkyria is literally Mother Russia.

RIQq9hf.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why hasn't the empire won yet if the literal goddesses of the battlefield are on their side.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
is this back to being a strat-RPg game? from what I remember reading vk2 and 3 were some dumbed down stuff.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
is this back to being a strat-RPg game? from what I remember reading vk2 and 3 were some dumbed down stuff.
It wasn't dumbed down so much as following hardware limitation of garbage handheld. Maps had to be dramatically smaller compared to the first game and were more repetitive. Maybe you're confusing the two sequels for the spinoff that wasn't a turn based rpg?

Deleted member 7219

Gameplay looks identical to the first game.

Good. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'll be getting mods to get rid of the canvas and streaks though.

Cross

Arcane

It was pretty broken though. You could regenerate health and ammo infinitely, fallen squad members could be revived and brought back in the same battle at no cost or penalty, you could repeatedly spend CP on one guy to turn them into a one-man army (the enemy A.I. never did the same for some reason) and tons of other easily exploitable mechanics. Fun for the novelty of one playthrough, but with it being a linear series of missions lacking in challenge I could never imagine the appeal of replaying it. A sequel that uses the same core mechanics won't have that novelty factor.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

It was pretty broken though. You could regenerate health and ammo infinitely, fallen squad members could be revived and brought back in the same battle at no cost or penalty, you could repeatedly spend CP on one guy to turn them into a one-man army (the enemy A.I. never did the same for some reason) and tons of other easily exploitable mechanics. Fun for the novelty of one playthrough, but with it being a linear series of missions lacking in challenge I could never imagine the appeal of replaying it. A sequel that uses the same core mechanics won't have that novelty factor.

I don't agree. What difficulty did you play on?

You could try to spend all your CP on one character but your movement would be heavily restricted, and Valkyria Chronicles was very much a game about movement.

Not sure about fallen squad members, if a squad member died I would normally replay the mission from scratch because of how fucked up everything would be as a result.

Regenerate health - can't remember this either. I don't think any of my characters had health regen, I do remember having to use the medical units to provide medkits to my main assault-focused units though.

Ammo - what are you expecting, Doom? It is turn based. Not all games use ammunition systems, especially in the turn based genre where the limitations are not on how quick you are or how much ammo you have, but how many actions you are afforded. The action points more than took care of this, limiting the number of shots you could have per turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

mck

Cipher
Hope they tone down the dweeb-magic elements.
And tone down those cutscenes parts. Or better, stop cutting it so I don't have to select another image on a book to have another cutscene. I don't know if they fixed that in 2 and 3, but in 1, that is killing me.

I've mostly only played 2 and they ditched that shit (at least in that one, can't speak for 3)

Cross

Arcane
I don't agree. What difficulty did you play on?
There are no difficulty settings. There are some skirmish missions you can play on easy or normal, but you can only play them on hard mode when you've beaten the game first. I despise it when games arbitrarily lock away difficulty settings and game modes until you've finished the game first, but here it's even worse (and pointless) as it only applies to the skirmish missions.

You could try to spend all your CP on one character but your movement would be heavily restricted, and Valkyria Chronicles was very much a game about movement.
Movement will eventually drop to a crawl, but before it does, you can repeatedly use CP on the same character and still move plenty, but most importantly, you can always shoot again. Meaning that if there are multiple enemies around, you can easily take them out with a single character. It's a broken system that effectively gives the player free turns on demand.

Not sure about fallen squad members, if a squad member died I would normally replay the mission from scratch because of how fucked up everything would be as a result.
There literally is no consequence for a unit dropping. If you move over their body you can deploy them the next turn at no cost of penalty. I didn't even realize units could die permanently until I read about it online, but the window for reviving characters is so generous that I can't image how it could happen unless you were trying to get them killed on purpose.

Regenerate health - can't remember this either. I don't think any of my characters had health regen, I do remember having to use the medical units to provide medkits to my main assault-focused units though.
Health regenerates a bit every turn and you have an endless supply of Ragnaid. Ergo, health is effectively infinite.

Ammo - what are you expecting, Doom? It is turn based.
Plenty of turn-based games have ammo. Having no ammo management would be fine if the game had any other kind of resource management, like health. It doesn't.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I played the 1st one. It was really good until I got to the last boss and discovered I hadn't grinded enough/replayed enough battles to beat him. Stupid, grindy Jap shit.

The Valkyria chic was primo waifu.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In most turn-based games you have effectively unlimited ammunition because you carry such a vast quantity of it. If you ever run out of ammo in, say, Jagged Alliance 2 or Silent Storm you are simply playing it wrong. Whining about VC1 not using ammo is simply pointless and stupid, because ammo management is a non-element in vast majority of games that have ammo.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Moving one soldier into a perfect position and taking many actions in a row is occasionally a useful tactic in Valkyria Chronicles, but most of the time it's not viable because you want to keep your entire squad moving so that you don't get outflanked or run out of time.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Especially not Welkin, since the AI is merciless when it comes to radiator openings.

And reactivation as a mechanic makes sense because the game is designed around using a smaller unit to fight a much more numerous enemy.

Falksi

Arcane
Enjoyed the first one to some degree, but it still wasn't anything mind blowing. A solid 6 or 7/10.

Looks a bit too samey tbh.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I dongetit, it will be on Steam? Just like that?

:d1p:

I see the plot and fanservice went full super retard beach scenes included. I mean, it's not like boobqueen in 1st one wasn't, or everything was particularly grimserious, but until the actual valkyria point it was better than average anime.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I dongetit, it will be on Steam? Just like that?

:d1p:

I see the plot and fanservice went full super retard beach scenes included. I mean, it's not like boobqueen in 1st one wasn't, or everything was particularly grimserious, but until the actual valkyria point it was better than average anime.

What? Jeez, they didn't mention that, but it's there.

Guess the disappointing Japan performance made them realize that PC is their only hope.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Oh hell yeah, Steam here I come for the next beach episode... although this seems to be better than the one in VC1, since it's more buttastic.

8ljEVOz.jpg

Cross

Arcane
Moving one soldier into a perfect position and taking many actions in a row is occasionally a useful tactic in Valkyria Chronicles, but most of the time it's not viable because you want to keep your entire squad moving so that you don't get outflanked or run out of time.
Barring the odd gimmick mission, I played the entire game like that, so clearly it's viable for even a middling player like myself. Can't remember flanking being an issue and if it was, it's not like a unit being downed has any lasting impact.

How is running out of time possibly an issue? Most missions have a 20 turn limit, in a game where a scout can run from one side of the map to the other in one turn.

Being able to act multiple times with a single unit (while the enemy cannot do the same) is just way too overpowered a mechanic.

In most turn-based games you have effectively unlimited ammunition because you carry such a vast quantity of it. If you ever run out of ammo in, say, Jagged Alliance 2 or Silent Storm you are simply playing it wrong. Whining about VC1 not using ammo is simply pointless and stupid, because ammo management is a non-element in vast majority of games that have ammo.
The games you mention have inventory and equipment systems. In say Jagged Alliance 2 any items, such as your armor, grenades, medkits, etc. take up both weight and a limited amount of inventory slots, and ammo is merely a piece of the puzzle.

Like I said, having no ammo management would be perfectly fine if VC had any other kind of resource management. With effectively infinite medkits and no real penalty for getting a unit downed, it's sorely lacking in that too.

And reactivation as a mechanic makes sense because the game is designed around using a smaller unit to fight a much more numerous enemy.
'Using a smaller unit to fight a much more numerous enemy' describes almost every game in existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom