Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Valkyria Chronicles Headed to PC

made

Arcane
Heh I keep mixing this up with Valkyrie Profile .

Dukatenscheisser

Educated
I just tried PPSSPP and and it works great "out of zee box". Even my new "cheaply acquired second hand XBONE controller" works great with it. I'll play second and third Valkyria Chronicles until the first one is released for PC. :bounce: (if games are good of course)

8c6ZhUm.png

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I see people talking about this a lot in the JRPG forum but I don't know much about it. Why do people think it's so good?

Dukatenscheisser

Educated
Dukatenscheisser Be warned that VC2 is considered to be much worse than the first game.

Ok. Thanks for the warning. Since the game is coming out in a week I'll wait for the first one. Maybe I'll even wait some time for the nice discount because of the damn backlog that keeps piling up, and then if I like it a lot I can play the second one. :)

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I see people talking about this a lot in the JRPG forum but I don't know much about it. Why do people think it's so good?

For me its the way, the combat system is a well done integration of light action and turn based squad level tactics. The strategy elements are on par with most good squad level tactics games, except that when you move/attack with your squad members it shifts into a third person, real time view. when you move characters around they are vulnerable to suppressing fire from nearby enemies, so you need to try to run behind cover and aim your weapon efficiently. The action elements in this view are just enough to make positioning and attacking with each member of your squad engaging and tense but so much that they usurp the basic tactical core of the game. As a result, things like enemy position and terrain features do not become irrelevant because you can use your action skillz to get around them. Instead, they become relevant in a more concrete way rather than providing an abstracted bonus.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Don't forget things like each character having his/her own skills and preferences that might make them suited for different missions or situations. For example, you don't want to hide in the tall grass with a character that has a pollen allergy. Or you might want to keep a racist character away from Darksens or you could start triggering SJWs debuffs.

Also the game features permadeath and you only get new people as story advances or as scripted replacements if certain characters die.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Unfortunately, the game is also very, very easy. (Or I thought so. But then, I probably played 2000+ hours of classic Terror From the Deep)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It is pretty easy if you're passingly accustomed to tactical games. After the first mission I chose to leave the tank behind because it made it too easy to find cover otherwise.

Isn't there a hard mode included in the extra content?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
It is pretty easy if you're passingly accustomed to tactical games. After the first mission I chose to leave the tank behind because it made it too easy to find cover otherwise.

Isn't there a hard mode included in the extra content?
Yes.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm sort of hoping the port will come with enhancements. If not, I'll buy it anyway because cranberries.

ColCol

Arcane
Of course, this former PS3 exclusive is only announced for PC now that I have a PS3.

jesus+facepalm.jpg

I'm still happy for the rest of you, though

heh, me too. This game was one of the main reasons I bought a ps3. (albeit not the only one)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dukatenscheisser Be warned that VC2 is considered to be much worse than the first game.

Ok. Thanks for the warning. Since the game is coming out in a week I'll wait for the first one. Maybe I'll even wait some time for the nice discount because of the damn backlog that keeps piling up, and then if I like it a lot I can play the second one. :)

The game play mechanics are rather better. They didn't add many innovations as the series went on so there was plenty of time for refinement. It's just the creeping influence of anime caught up with the series and you ended up being a high schooler (at a military academy) having to fight as a reserve military force during a civil war (the militia couldn't be legally summoned because it was

Personally, I liked the concept because historically cadets at military academies have been forced to take on extraordinary roles during civil wars -- there's no denying the execution was a little strange.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I just tried PPSSPP and and it works great "out of zee box". Even my new "cheaply acquired second hand XBONE controller" works great with it. I'll play second and third Valkyria Chronicles until the first one is released for PC. :bounce: (if games are good of course)

8c6ZhUm.png

Bro put some filters to that, and increase the internal resolution, it looks like a racoon's butthole.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yo everyone, THANKS for showing me the glory of PPSSPP. I'm grinding away on VC2 now with a 360 controller hooked to my macbook and I feel yummy

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
VC3 is better ciscum (am i doing this right?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom