Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vagrant Story

A user named cat

As mentioned earlier in this thread years ago; there's Final Fantasy XII which is probably the closest you'll get aside from a FromSoftware crawler. It takes place in same world and has similar character art and music. Unfortunately the combat is pretty bad as most know, it feels like a single player MMO and it doesn't have the same gloomy atmosphere as VS. It's still a pretty decent FF though and plays perfectly in PCSX2. If you just want a solitary crawler, then check out the King's Field or Shadow Tower games for PS1 and PS2.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Crimson Shroud for the 3DS. A short-ish game made by Matsuno. It has similar story elements to VS (3 heroes on a gloomy journey through an undead infested dead city). Gameplay is like Dungeons & Dragons in that you use the stylus and 2nd screen to throw different die depending on what skills or spells you use. The game map is also a paper graph map and the charcter and monster models are like tabletop minis. It has a novel look and a novel way how it plays, but it has everything you'd expect from a Matsuno game. Despite the shortness, there are New Game+ modes with harder encounters (not stat bloat, but new and different encounters) and you reveal more of the mystery behind the plot as old areas that were gated off in the previous play are now open. Great writing and fun gameplay.

Mustawd

Read through this thread....you old tards really used to like defining what an "RPG" was a lot back in 2011...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I might add Brandish: Dark Revenant to this one, when it comes to exploring. Every floor is filled with puzzles and trials to pass.
Maybe Dungeon Explorer? Or Ultima Underworld?

Crimson Shroud
Bring me 3DS emulator and this will be first title I would play on it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I might add Brandish: Dark Revenant to this one, when it comes to exploring. Every floor is filled with puzzles and trials to pass.
Maybe Dungeon Explorer? Or Ultima Underworld?

Bring me 3DS emulator and this will be first title I would play on it.

Highly recommended if you ever get the chance. It's the first thing I got for my 3DS as well. It's really fun.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hi. I started some days ago coding a roguelike from scratch in Java simply as hobby without thinking any theme or mechanics in particular. I have done some interactions like movement, open and close doors, and pick and drop items.

Yesterday I was thinking that done that basic stuff, it was the time to think about the mechanics that would make the game distinct to others. And I remembered how much I liked Vagrant Story and how sad is that there probably won't be any continuation ever. Even Spiritual.

I like the idea of character progression in a roguelike determined by the items you find (like in Brogue), so I thought I could also imitate some of the stuff I like about crafting in Vagrant story, to make this the central mechanic of the game. I'd also like to implement some of the spells, weapons arts,etc. Like in VS you would randomly find weapon parts of different quality, gems,etc. And after that, upgrade your equipment with the simple crafting system.

I think the itemization and crafting system in Vagrant Story was great, and the problems it had was because of the bad interface (contrived and frustrating menus), and the inability to switch weapons t fast without having to navigate some menus to do such a basic action.

My question is: Do you guys like the VS crafting system eliminating its bad interface, or is a part of the game you don't enjoy or think is sound and interesting?

I'm not sure if this is a thing people would like to play, or if I'm the only one who enjoyed VS crafting despite the clunky menus.

Thanks to all!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Crafting system in VS is good within the game. If you isolate it from the other systems of the game then it's a kinda worthless. Crafting works in VS because fighting against enemies with sub optimal weapons and weapon types is so much worse than fighting against them with optimal ones. If in your game it's worth swapping and crafting your weapons, beyond just some lame statistical improvement, then go ahead. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks for the Feedback. Makes a lot of sense. I will take in consideration when designing enemies and encounters. Like I said, I only started to develop the game for fun, without having any idea into mind, until I remembered Vagrant Story.

I implemented (replicated) the weapon system this weekend, including gem affinities. Fairly easy. I only need to make restrictions for the combining parts (for example, not allowing combine an Axe grip with a sword blade), or maybe better giving those combinations stat penalties, to make the combination possible but not worth. Like a crude unrefined peasant weapon.

Exhuminator

Arcane
I think a sword blade attached to an axe handle would do tremendous damage if it hit, from sheer leverage alone. It should get an attack boost and a critical hit chance increase, but offset by an agility penalty or some stat effect to simulate its unwieldy nature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom