Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Update 11 – The third release!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://crpgbook.wordpress.com/2015/12/21/update-11-the-third-release/

Update 11 – The third release!
DECEMBER 21, 2015
crpg-book-preview-3-11.jpg

Last month I skipped the updated, but I have something good this time to make up for it – the third, 300-page release of the CRPG Book!

CRPG Book Preview 3

This is our third public “alpha”, once again released six months after the previous one and offering 100 additional pages of content – bringing us to amazing 300 pages! That’s more than many books already, but we still have a lot of work to do…

It’s hard to believe, but it has been now two years since I first began to work on this project. My first estimate was “I’ll finish this in 6-8 months”, the first page layout was horrible, and many other foolish mistakes were made, but the journey has been a blast so far. My thanks to everyone who joined!

I consider this release to be the “structure” update. That’s because it comes with at least a small glimpse of all the sections I wish to include in the final version, such as the “Further Adventures”, “Hardware” and “Further Reading” sections. They are still missing most of their content and changes might yet be made, but this should provide a good sense of how the final release will look like.

That in no way means it’s short on games – this edition adds reviews to many of the most popular (and controversial) RPGs, such as Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Baldur’s Gate, Pool of Radiance, Quest for Glory, Knights of the Chalice, Neverwinter Nights 2, both KOTOR games, Dragon Age: Origins and its sequel and many more, pushing us to just over 150 reviews!

Once again, however, there are many more games that still need to be reviewed, so, if you’re interested in helping, please e-mail us: crpgbook@gmail.com or contact me on twitter felipepepe

Merry Christmas everyone, a great 2016 for all of us! :D

EDIT: Just noticed some of the historical/timeline pages have the wrong text… I’ll find out what happened and update this as fast as I can.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
There are some minor issues, missing credits and two not-100%-finished reviews, but I'm traveling today and wanna get this out there to see the what people think & get some feedback over the holidays. :)

page 210 "and the market became"
became what?

Really liked the opening paragraph on the page 6:)

Way of the Samurai 4 review has convinced me to try it :)

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The entire 1985-1989 intro is a mess. It seems to be talking about the 2000s instead, and it has too many unfinished sentences. :P

1985.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, that's what I meant in the "EDIT" of the original post... all these historical pages somehow are a mess... I'm trying to sort that out and find the finished texts

I blame my new laptop, the screen is too small, I couldn't read the text in the quick preview and just checked "yup, there's SOME text there" when doing the final pass. :oops:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also you still haven't updated my Labyrinth of Touhou review to the latest version (see our PM conversation). It's still the original placeholder text.

:rpgcodex:

Crooked Bee

Patron
No matter, I'm gonna give all my reviews another editing pass anyway. (And write the two or three I still haven't. :P)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Thanks! And I'll try to hunt people to do more of the fan-translation reviews, so that I can add more pages to the section and fit your updated review. :)

Crooked Bee

Patron
I know I (probably) told you this already, but imo a separate fan translation section doesn't make much sense anyway. Who cares whether the game is fan- or officially translated? As long as it's good enough and available in English, it merits at least a full one-page entry.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I know I (probably) told you this already, but imo a separate fan translation section doesn't make much sense anyway. Who cares whether the game is fan- or officially translated? As long as it's good enough and available in English, it merits at least a full one-page entry.
Honestly, it's more about page-count than anything else. Yes, I could dedicate one entire page to Labyrinth of Touhou 1 & 2 (and we will), but I wouldn't do that for all of them.

I.e., the RPG Maker section recommends 7 games in 2 pages AND tells a brief story of RPG Maker... I wouldn't recommend that many if I had to write & spend a page on each.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You should refresh your game reviews google sheet.
Done - mostly.

It's a bit frustrating to mark games as "assigned"... more than half of the people who ask for a game never delivers, and that ends up stopping others from trying. I've kept those taken by trustworthy people as assigned, but I think I'll wait for some sign of progress to start tagging games as taken.

Klarion

Arcane
hey felipepepe, I really like your book, I think it's awesome, real RPG encyclopedia! I especially like the part called "Games we'll never get to play" but so far there are only 4 titles in there which isn't much...

Some time ago I made a thread called "Greatest RPG that never got released?"

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/greatest-rpg-that-never-got-released.101459/

...and there was some interesting stuff in there so you can check it and see if one of the RPGs in there can go into your book. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

purpleblob

Savant
Thanks for the third release, Felipepepe and all the contributors. It's a great read! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom