Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Unrest: An Unconventional RPG set in Ancient India

pyroary

Ubisoft Abu Dhabi
Developer
I'm also curious about Traits, they seem more like a reflection of your play-style or an element that helps flesh out the starting story, rather than something that will impact the game world. One of my traits was opportunist. Will this have any future impact? Or does it just show that at one point I took an action that showed I was an opportunist.

Thanks for the feedback! Sorry for the delay in responding, the last few weeks have been insane in game dev stuff and bug fixing.
For the most part, traits will just reflect the actions you took. In some cases, they will unlock an extra conversation option, but that is not a frequent thing.

Also, against my better judgement, I've sent a couple of review codes to the RPG Codex mods ;)

P.S. I really appreciate the feedback I've gotten from you all, and hope I get some more of that when the game is out as well. (Download the demo here if you haven't)

Last edited:

pyroary

Ubisoft Abu Dhabi
Developer

Cromwell

Arcane
I am not even suprised people do this. I think I get the 10 euro steam currently wants from somewhere to buy it.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I just checked. The GOG release is the same price as the Steam release. The higher price Morkar is looking at is probably that of the special edition, which adds a soundtrack, novella, and some other unnecessary sundries.

I'll probably give the game itself a go on the weekend, even though it doesn't sound like much of an RPG.

pyroary

Ubisoft Abu Dhabi
Developer

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Updated the OP with a link to the STEAM page. pyroary if this on GOG, let me know and I'll update the OP with GOG link as well.

Link to GoG: http://af.gog.com/game/unrest?as=1649904300
Also, if possible can we change the first post image to this or this? The old logo isn't used anywhere (and is pretty ugly).

Done! And thanks for the GOG link. I added that to the OP as well.

Might be worth making a new forum post, since this one is mostly about the Kickstarter...Thanks!

We try to keep one thread for a game on here. Even though this at first was about the kickstarter, it will now work just fine as a current discussion about the game.

Starwars

Arcane
I just completed a first playthrough. Overall, I liked it.

It's not exactly a classic RPG though. I know you can discuss this to hell and back but it feels more like... Well, I don't know. An interactive storybook really. Not a complaint mind you.

The setting feels pretty fresh. A touch of fantasy too and yet it feels grounded and not sill or over the top. The writing is good too. I like the switching of characters in this game but it does lead to some problems I feel. I mean, each character does have its point (showcasing the conflict from several points of view) but it also means that you only start to get under the skin of a character and then you're off to someone else.

The gameplay of the game is really the conversations, and having only gone through the game once so far, it's hard to say how much "meat" there is. Given that you switch characters like mentioned above, it also makes consequences feel a bit... I don't know, floating or "weightless". Hard to explain. I guess the game never got me to really *care* if that makes sense. In an ideal world, I would've loved for the game to be a bit longer so you could really develop the characters more and really give more depth to them. It's a bit too brief now to have an impact (and I'm normally a proponent of shortening games to cut the fat). Also, I think the game *really* needed an ending slide summing up what happened as a result of your actions. The ending gives a bad taste as it is now, I feel, way too abrupt.

All that said, I enjoyed the game. The situation it's built around is generally intriguing and I couldn't wait to get back into it when I took some breaks. I will probably end up replaying it. But I don't feel it quite lived up to the potential.

Grats on the release and hope it does well!

pyroary

Ubisoft Abu Dhabi
Developer
I like how the Linux version isn't DRM-free and there isn't a non-steam demo.

I did sent a DRM-free linux version to Humble Bundle, other backers have said they downloaded it. Weird.
Also, the Steam version doesn't have any DRM (on any OS). You can backup the game into any folder and play it from there.

The demo is steam only because hosting free stuff on the internet is a weird thing. Many stores don't even seem to have the option of hosting a demo (and only Steam allowed me to set one up, the others I would need to email somebody, make a ticket - it is too many layers of stuff if you want to give stuff away for free).

pyroary

Ubisoft Abu Dhabi
Developer
Have you looked into itch.io, pyroary? It looks like an indie game store where you can easily upload a demo while charging for a full game.
Will check it out.

Or just dump it on Mediafire or something and share the link if you don't want to bother with hosting shenanigans.
I had thought about doing that, but when I did that with my last game lots of people turned their noses up at the "unprofessional" style I had uploaded the demo in.
That sort of feedback just makes me subconsciously afraid to do that in the future (irrational, I know but the feedback you get for your game affects you a lot).

I'll try to take in all the feedback I'm getting and try to implement it (well, most of it :) )

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I got this game on GOG and im now done.

While i did enjoy the game there are some major flaws:
*There are so many characters that you are following that the moment you start to care about him/her you are forced to switch to another character.
*The choices you get dont do anything from what i can tell. Yes sure you can decide this or that or who dies. But i cant see if anything happens other then a person saying "hello .... Bye!" a few min later in the game.
*There are some very annoying issues with targeting / pathfinding where you will get stuck on things all the times.
*This is the ending "And so the prince sav.... The end" I mean... holdon a moment was that the ending? Did i do something wrong? I had to replay the last part of the game just to make sure i did not hit a button or something that caused me to go to the menu.
I mean sure its not like it mater because you never play any of the characters for enough time to care at all about them. But still... Not even a message or a text or anything about... anything?

Is it worth the price its on right now? Im on the fence and more towards no. Its just to short and the story is all over the place, writing is average while the setting is interesting but never expanded upon.

If you have nothing else to play then maybe but i would still wait for 20-50% discount.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom