Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Unrest: An Unconventional RPG set in Ancient India - Available Now on GOG and STEAM see OP

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by daveyd, Jun 15, 2013.

1. pyroary Educated

pyroary
    Click here and disable ads!
    (Lead Developer of Unrest here) I'm going to level with you here - the reason we went with a publisher was:

1. My previous game, Will Fight for Food has been on Greenlight for 626 days. It's currently #81, so assuming it stays that way it will be Greenlit in 2 months from now. That's basically 2 full years to pass greenlight, and I was very nervous about Unrest facing a similar situation. Even if I performed 10 times better, it would be two months to get Greenlit and appear on Steam's store. As a team of 5, we don't have the funds to stay afloat that long (the last two months of development have been out of our own pockets already). I know Valve are opening the floodgates and everything, but I just can't take the risk knowing how Valve time works.

2. The publisher we chose will also simplify the process of getting on other stores, which otherwise would take a lot of emailing/negotiating and some have strange requirements like having a US address and phone (I live in India), or insisting you sell the game at a price they want. Some also require invoices be sent in a specific format, which can be a right pain and cause delay in payments for no good reason.

3. They'll also help out with PR, which in this crowded market can be very valuable. As a (mostly) unknown developer, I need all the PR help I can get.

4. I still own all IP, and their terms are reasonable for what they're offering. Maybe I'm once bitten, twice shy but my entire game-making-livelihood is at stake here so I hope you forgive me if I was a little too cautious :)
    JarlFrank, ghostdog, Hoaxmetal and 11 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  2. stony3k Scholar

stony3k
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Thanks for the reply:hero:. Hope this sells well enough that you don't need publishers with the next game.
    ^ Top  
  3. himmy Arbiter

himmy
    This post is the best response to the "publishers are inherently bad for a game" argument that I have seen on this site.
    ^ Top  
  4. Sunsetspawn Savant

Sunsetspawn
    Our local religitard.

I would recommend ignoring him but, like all devs that come to the codex, you're probably going to have a virtual nuclear assault launched at you, so theologically pontificating blowhards are going to be the least of your worries.
    ^ Top  
  5. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Looks interesting. I have to admit that my inner racist recoils at the Indian influences, yet the design sounds intriguing. Though will need some impressions before I'll loosen up my purse strings.

Is someone doing a review?
    ^ Top  
  6. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Very interested. :thumbsup: Probably going to cough up cash for the setting alone.

When I first heard 'Naga', I actually thought you meant my fellow hill-men in the north east. :lol: Of course, to be perfectly frank, we don't have much history or culture to speak of so yeah.
    Sunsetspawn, ERYFKRAD and Phantasmal Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  7. Already coughed up.

Now waiting for June.
    anus_pounder Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  8. pyroary Educated

pyroary
    There have been a ton of previews by some pretty huge sites (all listed here in a convenient location). We'll send out review copies early next month, so hopefully reviews appear soon after!
    Personally, I don't know much about the history of the Naga (our north eastern brethren) - but that can be fixed by some research and maybe even a train ride ;) I think every place has some interesting tale to tell, and maybe I'll tell one from there in the future!

P.S. Thanks a lot y'all for the positive response to my publisher post. I was pretty nervous about how it would be received :)
    ^ Top  
  9. LESS T_T Arbiter

LESS T_T
    Hm, the game is delayed again for some reason.

The new release date is July 23rd (backers will get the game on July 17th) and they'll release a demo on June 26th. (pyroary: Will the demo public or backers only?)

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ntional-rpg-set-in-ancient-india/posts/855101

Well, considering Divinity: Original Sin will be released on 20 June, and AFAIK there's no big RPG release in July, it looks fine for me ;)
    ^ Top  
  10. FuelBlooded Learned

FuelBlooded
    Are we allowed to post backer only emails on public forums?
    ^ Top  
  11. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    I didn't know this game was fantasy.
    ^ Top  
  12. LESS T_T Arbiter

LESS T_T
    You mean this update? It's a public update. You can follow the link and see that it is.
    ^ Top  
  13. pyroary Educated

pyroary
    It wasn't up to us, you guys will know the reason why when June 26th comes - can't say any more than that, sorry :(

Public demo - anyone can download and play.
    anus_pounder and LESS T_T Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  14. LESS T_T Arbiter

LESS T_T
    Nice, then I could spread it to my friends :)
    ^ Top  
  15. pyroary Educated

pyroary
    Demo is out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/304520/

NOTE: This released ten days ago because of an accident somewhere (I only realized the demo was out when I saw the RPS post about our demo), so there might be bugs. I'm working on fixing them.
    Broseph, LESS T_T, anus_pounder and 2 others Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  16. Broseph Filthy Degenerate

Self-Ejected
    Andhaira
    Does this have Curry Potions instead of Health Potions?
    ^ Top  
  17. pyroary Educated

pyroary
    Curry is almost entirely a British-Indian thing, there's no singular "curry" dish in India (unless it was brought back by Indians who first went to UK and now came back). In short, no :P
    ^ Top  
  18. Broseph Filthy Degenerate

Self-Ejected
    Andhaira
    What kind of rights are attributed to women in the gameworld?
    ^ Top  
  19. pyroary Educated

pyroary
    ....I don't understand the question? Is this about the game's code, or the social system in ancient India, or something else - could you elaborate?
    ^ Top  
  20. Hint:SJW.
    ^ Top  
  21. pyroary Educated

pyroary
    Well, the protagonist in the demo is a woman, and the scenario is based on inter-caste relations. How many rights do women have in ancient India is in fact one of the things the demo touches on briefly.

The choice of what to do in the situation is left to the player, hence I would recommend both of you check the demo out and make up your mind yourself :)
    joelofdeath and Broseph Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  22. I would, but uni blocks Steam. Bought the game anyway, so no issues.
    Broseph Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  23. Rohit_N Liturgist Patron

Rohit_N
    Project: Eternity
    pyroary, I am unable to launch the Unrest demo on Linux. I'm looking at the installed game files, and I noticed that no shared libraries are included, and that the Unrest binary cannot find the SDL2 and boost libraries, which are expected to be in /usr/lib. I could install the SDL libraries easily, but my package manager does not have version 1.54 of Boost, only 1.55.

You should be able to package the SDL2 libraries with your game and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory containing .so files (I think the Steam Runtime should take care of this?). You may be able to do the same for the Boost libraries, but I'm not sure if their license permits this.
    ^ Top  
  24. pyroary Educated

pyroary
    Hm, that is strange. I'll work on a fix for this.
    ^ Top  
  25. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)