Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unreal

DraQ

Arcane
Like DraQ outlined, Unreal is still enchanting and fun. A lot of talented mapmakers and composers contributed to it, each with their own style, so it feels all over the place, but that variety is to its benefit. It also has a strangeness you don't get often in computer games. UT1999 is also tremendously enjoyable as a multiplayer game, even with bots.
UT'99 can also be used as platform for playing most Unreal content (both original and custom) as the code and basic resources (sounds, textures, models) are already included, you just need maps, music and small mod to access the already present SP code.

It's a far better idea to play the better fanmade campaigns, like Operation: Na Pali.
I know, I know, that voice acting wasn't exactly 10/10. The rest, though, is mostly solid gold.
Indeed, VA is most definitely not 10/10, it's more like -10/10, there is even mod replacing all of it with blank sound files.
Other than that ONP is p. good. Arcadey and somewhat lacking in atmosphere, but entertainingly crazy (in an old shooter sense) and top-notch technically - pretty long too. Also features one of the best credits sequences ever.

Though TBH, I prefer some other packs - Tower of Shrakitha (old, not very long, but masterful in terms of overall quality and atmosphere), Deja Vu (a pretty conservative pack, basically more Unreal, but far superior to official RTNP in all aspects) and Xidia series (Xidia, Na Pali Haven: Redux, Seven Bullets). There are some good newer packs too.
All can be found at http://www.unrealsp.org/ , along with reviews.
The reviews themselves are very strict and rigorous - Deja Vu, which isn't far from the original in terms of overall quality is rated 70% (Tower, despite its age is one of the two mappacks that reached 90%).

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It's a far better idea to play the better fanmade campaigns, like Operation: Na Pali.

Watch out who you reply to. He got urge to throwing moniez at shit.
Free good stuff like fan made mission or mods? Nope. He preffered to buy Thiaf instead of DL The Dark Mod for free so...

And yeah, I forgot about biggest Unreal/Ut mods like Operation Na Pali. Or Beer from Outer Space.
Damn, they made Damnation mod, better than retail one.
Or Killing Floor. Or Ballistic Weapons. Or Frag Ops

Do you remember anything similiar to Operation Na Pali? Would try.
Pity I have no source of that neat stuff...

http://www.unrealsp.org/
Howley dewley! Why I didn't know about this site decade ago?!

EDIT2
holy tits, they even release soundtracks! If that will be as good as soundtracks for Deus Ex fan missions - I'll be in ave!

Last edited:

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
DraQ speaking of fan-made Unreal SP's, do you remember the name of the one where you play as a Nali and it has this potion/spell system? It was pretty good, i remember playing when i was young and i was quite impressed but i can't remember the damn name of it anymore.

Edit: FOUND IT

Working download link

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
It was kind of boring, but the atmosphere was strong. Not sure if that particularly holds up years later.

Might as well just skip it and play Unreal Tournament.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ speaking of fan-made Unreal SP's, do you remember the name of the one where you play as a Nali and it has this potion/spell system? It was pretty good, i remember playing when i was young and i was quite impressed but i can't remember the damn name of it anymore.

Edit: FOUND IT

Working download link
I see you found it already.

Good mod. A bit weak on map quality (at the beginning, then it gets better) and a bit crippled by fairly critical story bit being left out due to author issues meaning rather hastily patched hole in story progression, but very atmospheric and fun to play, not to mention good alchemy system, pretty fun magic and amusing dialogue with your familiar.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Why game companies don't release some sort of "community pack" with the best mods is beyond me. Some of these mods are a pain to find, and some games requires a lot of work in order to work with mods.

Cazzeris

Why game companies don't release some sort of "community pack" with the best mods is beyond me. Some of these mods are a pain to find, and some games requires a lot of work in order to work with mods.
I suppose they want people like us to make threads on forums with mods guides of games like Unreal, Thief, Blood...

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I suppose they want people like us to make threads on forums with mods guides of games like Unreal, Thief, Blood...
To think these game companies wanted to add more value to the game... shame on me. Moddb is a good source for mods, but it's not enough in some cases.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
To think these game companies wanted to add more value to the game... shame on me. Moddb is a good source for mods, but it's not enough in some cases.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I never found Unreal's single-player as fun as Quake's or Half-Life's. The outdoor scenery and music is still great, but the combat felt like a chore, where you were shooting unsatisfying weapons into bullet-sponge Skaarj.

The pacing of the campaign was also off, with the difficulty curve getting ridiculous near the end.

This. Unreal had a good "wow" factor but gameplay and level design were shit (by the standards of those days, of course). For a game that actually did "huge" levels right, try Dark Forces 2.

potatojohn

Arcane
I played a lot UT but I never liked Unreal. It felt like a boring techdemo. HL1 was better in every way.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a legal quagmire where it is very easy to make a misstep and find yourself in a horrendous legal situation. Most companies aren't well prepared for this kind of thing, or just don't think the profits justify the potential risks.

They'd also prefer you to buy their Officially More Awesome Sequels, not what they consider an afterthought (and mapping tools mostly are).

Also, by the time a strong fan community emerges, the original publisher might be long gone or radically changed.

As DraQ has already stated, Unreal was (and is) awesome. Seriously, I played it again a couple of years ago and it's still excellent, like a fine aged wine. I actually think I played it as a mod from UT, but it was pretty much exactly the same experience. I only replaced the original shock rifle with the UT version, because the original is just so wimpy it comparison.

Hell if I can. I remember it was a complete Unreal campaign in UT. You could change some stuff (like individual weapons) or keep them like they were, but graphics, enemies, sounds and everything else was exactly the same. The problem is, now I can't find the mod on the net anywhere, and I've been searching for the last half hour. Did I imagine this? I don't think so because the details I do remember are too specific, but where the hell is it then?

DraQ

Arcane
I actually think I played it as a mod from UT

Tell us more, that sounds interesting.
Hell if I can. I remember it was a complete Unreal campaign in UT. You could change some stuff (like individual weapons) or keep them like they were, but graphics, enemies, sounds and everything else was exactly the same. The problem is, now I can't find the mod on the net anywhere, and I've been searching for the last half hour. Did I imagine this? I don't think so because the details I do remember are too specific, but where the hell is it then?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/oldskool-ampd

It usually comes bundled with SP mappacks for UT as well.

Astral Rag

Arcane
DraQ et al what are some of your favourite UT99 maps?

I'm mostly interested in discovering "new" deathmatch maps.

PS If some of you monocled gentlemen are ever in the mood to play UT99 DM and see a server called "1999". Feel free to join. I'm located in Western Europe. Password is always NUKA.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ et al what are some of your favourite UT99 DM maps?
I probably won't be terribly original if I say "Deck".
Codex (heh) was pretty fun, so was Morpheus and Morbias ][ (although I feel the original worked better quick&dirty missile massacres).
From custom maps DM-Edge][ (conversion of DMEdge) was plenty fun as well, so was something called DM-Kinetica and touney map called DM-Viridian-TOURNEY.
I probably could list a few other nice maps, but not off the top of my head.

OTOH I was never particularly fond of KGalleon or Barricade.

I was never much of DM player, though, I mostly played on small private servers with a friend or two.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Deck 16, Codex of Wisdom and Curse never get old, I also have a soft spot for Unreal's Ariza and Elsinore.

Downloading DM-Edge][ and DM-Kinetica. I remember Viridian Dreams now, that's a good map indeed.

:bro:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I remember some megamod for UT99, inspired by StarGate and (propably) Dragon Ball, where maps were pyramids (helluva big one)
Got that mod from CD with mods from my cousin, never found it again...
Not sure if it was part of this mod but you could fly in this mod with some machines (jets? mechs?),

Same with custom skin with Visor (from Quake3, with custom voices), got it propably from FPS themed zin from CDA and never found it again.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Unreal might retroactively be my favourite shooter from the late 90s. Fantastic atmosphere, tons of unique and memorable levels, a story that isn't in-your-face and actually rather well told through text logs... it's the perfect modernizing of those ideas original started with games look Doom and Quake, for me.

This. Unreal had a good "wow" factor but gameplay and level design were shit (by the standards of those days, of course). For a game that actually did "huge" levels right, try Dark Forces 2.
Eh, disagreed. Jedi Knight is great of course but Unreal has a lot more variety and consistency in quality, at least in my opinion. The weapons and enemies are more entertaining in Unreal for me as well. But, both games are a lot of fun and hold up really well.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Viridian, Tempest, Phobos and Morpheus are probably my favorite official DM maps. Lava Giant is my favorite CTF map. Like DraQ I was never fond of KGalleon even if I know where the Redeemer is and smashed everyone.
I always really loved the Last Crusader maps for UT99, really good fun. You could find some really high quality maps in packs like Frags of Time, Flags of Time or Forts of Time (they've made quite a bit).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom