Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games

gondor

Learned
Kyrub is currently working after years(?) of pause again on his legendary Master of Magic insecticide patch.

There is an alpha feedback thread available , so if you have bugs, feedback or wishes for him, now is your chance!

M.A.X. crash fix for round > 150
https://www.maxr.org/showtopic.php?id=762 (dosextender replacement http://www.sid6581.net/pmodew/)

an even better dosextender substitutes for many dosgames is http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html (qualified for the general section?)

(more here http://maximumhoyt.blogspot.de/2008/12/dos4gwexe-version-201a-and-alternative.html )

Industry giant 2 critical newer graphics card crash fix
http://forum.nordicgames.at/threads/167118-NVidia-Mod-(Summary)
http://www.gau-games.de/index.php?download&fid=61

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II and Star Wars Jedi Knight - Mysteries of the Sith

Visuals:

Download dgVoodoo 2
Run dgVoodoo2
Click on the Direct X tab and choose Virtual 3D Accelerated Card, set RAM to 65536 kB.
Optional: enable AA etc, disable dgVoodoo watermark
Click apply
Navigate to the MS folder in the dgVoodoo directory and copy D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll to your main Dark Forces 2 or Mysteries of the Sith folder
Launch game, enable 3D acceleration and select your desired resolution

Music:

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II music patch:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n1bid00x0xa8fx3/JK_Music_Patch_MP3.zip

Jedi Knight Mysteries of the Sith music patch:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4ow4d600v4j2t07/MotS_Music_Patch_MP3.zip

Last edited:

Coyote

Arcane
Not exactly a patch, but maybe someone will find it useful: after picking up the Tex Murphy bundle that's currently running on Bundle Stars, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Steam version of Overseer is working just fine for me. I've had it on GOG for years, and it always had issues that rendered it unplayable on any modern system that I've tried it on. Apparently GOG uses the CD version and Steam the DVD version, though I think there must be something else to it since AFAIK the only difference is the quality of video files. Edit: Turns out that GOG has used the DVD version for over a year now, and I tried it as recently as last fall, so that's definitely not it.

Anyway, I did have an issue where it failed to play cutscenes, giving an error message "Unable to activate MPEG2 driver". Manually installing ffdshow with MPEG2 codecs (unchecked by default) fixed the problem. Now it's working great with only one minor issue - a seemingly harmless "Error: Error code does not indicate an error" message upon loading areas - after 3-4 hours of playing. Edit2: Oh yeah, and the gallery crash, though that's nothing new. For anyone unfamiliar, be sure to mute MIDI under the sound options if you find that the game is crashing after you solve the first puzzle in Gideon's gallery. You can turn it back on afterwards; it only causes a crash during the cutscene.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Mac-enstein 3D

Great port of the Mac version of Wolf 3D, it works fine on Win7 and you don't need any other files...

macsdl22014-05-1020-39fbvn.jpg

The Macintosh version was based on the code of the Super Nintendo port and was developed by MacPlay, and released in October 1994. In this port, the game's sprites and textures are redrawn as 128×128 pixel sprites, rather than 64×64 pixel sprites, allowing more detail in the game's characters and objects. However, they are drawn from one angle, like the bosses, eliminating the stealth element of the game.

There are three editions of the Macintosh port:

Wolfenstein 3D: First Encounter - the shareware demo including three levels.
Wolfenstein 3D: Second Encounter - includes the 30 levels from the SNES port.
Wolfenstein 3D: Third Encounter - includes the 30 levels from the SNES port, as well as the original 60 levels from the PC version.

(All 3 editions are playable in Mac-enstein 3D, simply double click First.bat, Second.bat or Third.bat)

The music in the Mac port is all new, composed by Interplay's resident musician Brian Luzietti. The Mac port and all derivative versions (including the Apple IIGS) are the only ones to use authentic German voices and speech, recorded by native Germans. Other versions contain broken German phrases, with incorrect article and adjective usages, mostly stemming from the misunderstanding of the genders of the nouns.

In the version released for the Macintosh, all the bosses, except the final boss, Adolf Hitler, drop a gold key when killed which opens a door to the end of the level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_versions_of_Wolfenstein_3D#Macintosh

Took some screenshots:
macsdl220141t7jhu.jpg

m08j8j9c.jpg

dsfqfqsdgqgf0ysk1e.jpg

69gvkxl.jpg

29jjd3.jpg

3w8jxw.jpg

dsf5dzkmp.jpg

8-75azkts.jpg

fsd54d4j0l.jpg

5-06iujyh.jpg

macsq2-13jcjpc.jpg

Guten Tag

-979gj9i.jpg

-33sxk7j.jpg

v847ejen.jpg

v-76ifkpw.jpg

dfqs47jjw.jpg

bonus content:

^cheater!

202mlje6.png

awxjdn.png

bdqjmb.png

mac_pacmancdqej.gif

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Which one is better, Hellfire: Fixed or the more recent mod off-shoot?

Not-edit: looks like the mod off-shoot is based on a mod by Marsh who updated Hellfire: Fixed. Link

Hey guys,
This is a mod I made quite some time ago based on code from The Dark modnotes, The hell, and Hellfire: Fixed. Essentially I was trying to fix some of the bugs that were still in Hellfire 1.01 and add some new features that are part of the other mods like The Hell and The Dark mods; while still maintaining the vanilla Hellfire feel. In a way it's a bit like an updated Hellfire: Fixed.

Anyway I thought I'd upload it in case anyone else is interested in it.
HF102.exe

To use it just make a fresh Hellfire v1.00 install from the cd and then install this patch to the folder. This mod also includes the changes from the 1.01 patch, so there's no issues with trying to use the 1.01 patch on windows 7 operating systems.

Here's the complete changelog

[1] NEW FEATURES
====================================
- Gillian the Barmaid now offers a Stash service to characters, run the game using loader.exe to enable it, and read the Stash Readme for more details
- Command.txt is now no longer required to activate Multiplayer mode, the Bard and Barbarian Character Classes and Theoquest, see section [3] for details on activating Cowquest in v1.02
- All players now appear on the automap in multiplayer if they are on the same dungeon level
- Friendly Fire can now be toggled on and off for missle weapons and spells using the Player Friendly/Player Attack button in addition to melee attacks as in previous versions, see section [3] for more details on reverting this change
- Experience points are now shared between all players on the same dungeon level when a monster is killed
- Multiplayer Savegames are now saved in a computer independent way, and can therefore be moved from computer to computer as with Singleplayer savegames, they are still saved in the C:\windows\system folder as hidden files named hrinfo_#.drv
- The ending movie now no longer plays after killing Diablo, see section [3] for more details on how to reenable the ending movie
- Diablo always drops a random magical item in multiplayer and the Undead Crown in singleplayer
- UDP network protocol is now supported in multiplayer, this enables players with modern operating systems that do not support IPX to play multiplayer games over LAN or Hamachi
- DiabloClicker has been included with the patch, this program can be run in the background to allow players to hold down the mouse button rather than having to repeatedly click it

[2] BUG FIXES
====================================
- Fixed the Random Reseed, this allows for more random monster behaviour and to-hit chance, making long missing streaks less likely to occur
- Characters will no longer block magical attacks to which they have any resistance, this will help prevent characters from getting stuck in their blocking animation
- Monsters now regenerate at a noticable rate, this rate is double in Nightmare and doubled again in Hell difficulty
- Fixed bug with Splash Attack code so that characters will now have a reduced to-hit chance and damage on the two additional targets
- Fixed bug that caused monsters AC to wrap around to 0 in Hell diffulty, now monsters will have very high AC in Hell
- Fixed bug which prevented players with a version of DirectX greater than v3 from changing their volume in game
- Fixed Doppleganger prefix to no longer work on golems, as this could crash the game
- Fixed Barbarian's Rage skill so that it no longer removes life, as this was very buggy and life could be returned by moving items in your inventory
- Mana Shield now no longer subtracts too much life when it is removed through damage
- Mana Shield now no longer becomes worse at reducing damage taken as the spell level increases, now all levels of Mana Shield have a 33% damage reduction
- Flash now deals the correct amount of damage to monsters in all 9 possible locations around the caster
- The Jog/Walk in town option now works in Multiplayer mode
- All oils can now drop in Multiplayer mode
- All shrines can now occur in Multiplayer mode
- The Enchanted Shrine effect can now be obtained from Cauldrons and Goat Shrines beyond dungeon level 8
- Black Deaths now no longer remove a point of Max Life when they hit a character
- Fascinating, Sacred and Ornate Shrines now remove a point of the Magic stat rather than reducing Maximum Mana by 10%
- King Leoric can now resurrect skeletons in Multiplayer mode as well as Singleplayer
- The Warlord of Blood quest now occurs on dungeon level 13 in Multiplayer mode as well as in Singelplayer mode
- Balrog AI has been improved so that they no longer pause for several seconds when deciding between casting Inferno or attacking in melee
- Unique monsters that were set to spawn on dungeon levels where their base monster could not appear have been corrected
- Unique monsters have been added to the Hives and the Crypts levels
- Many weapon prefixes and suffixes could not appear on staves in previous versions, these have now been added to staves to give Monks more weapons options. The "of blocking" suffix can now appear on staves as well as shields again to give monks more options
- Due to errors in the Unique Item data table such as many unique items of the same base item type sharing the same ilevel, and many unique items have an ilevel lower than the ilevel of their base item type it was very difficult or impossible for many unique items to drop, these errors have been corrected so that all unique items have a fairly even chance of dropping on all difficulty levels in Multiplayer and Singleplayer modes
Cool. Hellfire has potential, but it definitely isn't realized as-released.

Khorne

Arbiter
List DarkPlaces quake1/glquake engine, I had played it recently and it exceeded my expectations.
Supports wide res, proper mouselook, makes quake1 run like quake3 arena.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

Could someone please download this patch and host it on mediafire or something. This lurkerslounge forum won't let me create an account, and can't download the file without one.

thanks

Here is the Neverhood Restoration Patch that'll get the game running flawlessly on W7. I had issues with the videos in the game being laggy as hell until I used this.

Here
Instructions

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I used the Blood Omen patches to get the game running, and for the most part it works great, but the mouse cursor gets all glitchy in the menus and the animations in the menus play extremely fast - like the book pages turning or the highlights on the map screen.

Anyone know what could be causing this/how to fix it? I tried slowing my cpu with cpugrabber but to no avail.

gondor

Learned
I used the Blood Omen patches to get the game running, and for the most part it works great, but the mouse cursor gets all glitchy in the menus and the animations in the menus play extremely fast - like the book pages turning or the highlights on the map screen.

Anyone know what could be causing this/how to fix it? I tried slowing my cpu with cpugrabber but to no avail.
Well, I just remember that the question in the options, "hardware cursor" or "software cursor", was critical. I could run DO only with software cursor.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I use Virtual PC 2007 to emulate Windows 98SE, you can find an easy tutorial with dl links here.

Don't worry about the compatibility warning, VPC works just fine on Windows 7 (not sure about 8 and 10). EDIT: MS has made the program incompatible with MS Windows 10 :rpgcodex:

Install KB958559 if you run into the "The wizard was interrupted before M$ Virtual PC 2007 was installed..." issue.

VPC2007 allows you to mount some images but it's far easier to just download an old version of Daemon Tools (3.47 is a good choice), you can drag and drop files from Windows 7 to your virtual OS and vice versa.

You can use a tool like Snapper to take screenshots, run this program on your modern OS before launching the virtual machine, take screenshots with Print Screen.

In my experience a lot of Win 3.. and most Win 95 software works just fine on Win 98 sadly you won't be able to play more demanding 3D accelerated games because VPC emulates a P3 with a puny S3 Trio 32/64 card.

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's a ultimate talkie release for monkey island 2 now. It's stuck at a ridiculously low release number... but it exists (and runs in dos/dosbox/scummvm like the ute monkey 1).

I had (for both of them) to run the bat files twice, once for scummvm and once for 'dosbox' and then merge the directories. The overwritten files are all the same (verified with diff), the guy is just saving space because scummvm wants to use ogg instead of midi or it's just for people who don't have the mt32 roms or something stupid like that.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit "Modern Patch"
*Full HD and widescreen resolutions support.
*Improved graphics. No more cars with non-rotating wheels, better textures and models for other’s cars, greater view distance in the rear view, etc.
*Fog effect and light beams support in the DirectX 6 (they were exclusive effects for the 3dfx Voodoo).
*Portability. All system settings are loaded from the ini file. No more registry!
*Compatibility. Most problems with modern Windows were fixed. New system settings were added.
*Full support of multi-core processors. Original game could work correctly only on one core. This change dramatically improves performance of the nGlide and the dgVoodoo.
*Alt+Tab support. You can safely minimize the game when nGlide or dgVoodoo driver is used.
*Optimizations and bugfixes. More than 100 changes.

Astral Rag

Arcane
After installing this InstallShield Wrapper you will be able to execute most 16bit InstallShield installers on your modern 32 and 64bit OS. (Source)

Check out this link if the wrapper fails to trick your OS. (backups of Is3Engine and Is5Launcher)

With the nGlide wrapper you can easily emulate 3dfx hardware on your modern zoomers. Don't forget to set your native desktop resolution and force 4:3 aspect ratio in the Configurator.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Nope, it's very user friendly. I just installed Mad Trax on my Windows 7 x64 machine:

1. Install the wrapper.
2. Mount image Insert legally acquired cd-rom.
3. Double click Setup.exe and install the game.
4. Launch game (fancy glide version of course).

Without the wrapper installed double clicking that particular setup.exe would give me a "System Initialization Error Setup is unable to find installation language in G:\Setup.lid file. Error 105 " error.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
After installing this InstallShield Wrapper you will be able to execute most 16bit InstallShield installers on your modern 32 and 64bit OS. (Source)

With the nGlide wrapper you can easily emulate 3dfx hardware on your modern zoomers. Don't forget to set you native desktop resolution and force 4:3 aspect ratio in the Configurator.
If people are interested in a link with more longevity, it looks like the source of the program is here: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42464

spekkio

Arcane
Nope, it's very user friendly. I just installed Mad Trax on my Windows 7 x64 machine:

1. Install the wrapper.
2. Mount image Insert legally acquired cd-rom.
3. Double click Setup.exe and install the game.
4. Launch game (fancy glide version of course).

Without the wrapper installed double clicking that particular setup.exe would give me a "System Initialization Error Setup is unable to find installation language in G:\Setup.lid file. Error 105 " error.
Played around with this wrapper and C&C95. Win7 x64 SP1.

Without the wrapper, you can run the autorun.exe:

Fjgcw5A.jpg

But the installer itself won't run:

J9gNu3z.jpg

KcWMeoG.jpg

Unless you actually install the wrapper:

RfR1IMA.jpg

:incline:

Windows bitches a bit:

sXveFL3.jpg

But the game installs fine. Virtual PC + Win98 no longer required (yeah, right).

:yeah:

Vanilla game won't work, of course:

Uxe5R33.jpg

You can either:

1) Modify vanilla
- install the WinXP fix (thipx32.dll)
- set the .exe to Win95 compatibility

640x400 won't run in my case (unsupported by new Nvidia drivers?). No matter which res you set via config, the game uses 640x480 (640x400 + black horizontal bars):

JyhIxUT.jpg

2) Use good old cnc-ddraw, which allows you to use opengl renderer / fix the fast-scroll bug (maxfps=120). The game looks exactly as before. If you force 640x480 in ddraw.ini, instead of using the config utility, the output will be stretched:

AXoACTj.jpg

:decline:

3) Go with the newest Nyerguds patch. It increases the viewpoint vertically (Ver+) in all resolutions (640x400 still doesn't work, the game uses 640x480 instead):

S6jsR19.jpg

That is all...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom