Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games

gondor

Learned

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
those sierra fixes (in general for all games they cover) make scummvm butthurt and since scummvm generally has all those fixes and more...

Astral Rag

Arcane
RavenShield 2.0 is a very nice mod for Rainbow Six 2, it takes some tweaking but it works fine with Steam version of RS2 Gold + Athena Sword + the free expansion Iron Wrath.

*Completely Updated Characters.
*Redefined Armaments Textures.
*Improved Visual Particle Effects.
*Implemented Ironsight System's.
*Fundamentally Improved Reality.
*Revisualized Menu Background.
*Updated AI, improving on squad.
*Hostile AI behaviour is balanced.
*GoggleHUD & Health.

If you own the game + expansion on Steam you must:

1. Install RS2 Gold Edition

2. Install RS2 Athena Sword

3. Copy paste the text below to a new .txt file, make sure both paths are correct:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{AF131494-F5D8-45C5-938C-D5F020CF1B0D}]
"DisplayVersion"="1.60.412"
"InstallLocation"="D:\\games\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\rainbow six 3 gold"
"ModifyPath"="D:\\games\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\rainbow six 3 gold"
"Version"=dword:01000000

Now save this file as rvs.reg, double click it and allow changes to registry.

4. You can now install the free expansion pack Iron Wrath make sure you DL the correct version, there is is a UK and US version.

5. Download Raven Shield 2.0 and unrar to the correct directory.

Optional: One thing I dislike about the mod is that it introduces an onscreen visor/ HUD to the game, you can disable this by opening mods/Ravenshield.mod (right click and open with notepad) and
insert "//" in front of the line "m_PlayerCtrlToSpawn=RVSComplete.RVS2PC"

There is also the problem of stretched scopes, I haven't found a way to fix this yet but it doesn't really bother me all that much.

random image from screenshot folder:
2015-02-01_00003c4ul6.jpg

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Tested unofficial 1B.05 patch for Homeworld 1.

While it works fine and widescreen looks glorious:

djx4ROq.jpg

High resolutions make GUI way too small. 1024x768 is a max for my weary eyes:

8L096dq.jpg

spekkio

Arcane
Fucking hell.

Decided to give Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow a try, but it's borked. Lighting / shadows are gone:

3gGcNJm.jpg

It looks like Ubishit screwed up again, you can compare how it should look like here:

:mob:

Some fag claims he was able to fix this, but I'm too lazy to fuck up my drivers (last post):
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41443&start=40

Anyway, tried the Gamecube version on Dolphin, but it looks like ass in native res:

vImtoAf.jpg

And using higher res screws up graphics even more:

Nvuhq74.jpg

:decline:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Wing Commander Prophecy
WC Prophecy With DVD Video (GOG version,November 2013 Update)
OK I'm confused, where do the DVD-quality videos come from. I'm pretty sure Prophecy wasn't released on DVD like WC4, and the text on the link itself confirms this. Did someone at Origin or EA make them available at some point or the other?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Magic and Mayhem this game installs and loads fine on Windows 7 x64 (don't forget to patch it) but certain in-game events cause the game to crash.

In order to prevent these crashes you have to open sounds.ini, this file can be found in Magic & Mayhem\Sounds, now delete the comments after:

812='Picview1'
813='Picview2'

I also capitalized picview1.wav and picview2.wav, these files are also in Magic & Mayhem\Sounds

gondor

Learned
Wing Commander Prophecy
WC Prophecy With DVD Video (GOG version,November 2013 Update)
OK I'm confused, where do the DVD-quality videos come from. I'm pretty sure Prophecy wasn't released on DVD like WC4, and the text on the link itself confirms this. Did someone at Origin or EA make them available at some point or the other?

http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7376
http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7380
http://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/prophecy-movie-upgrade-2-3-october-6-2006.19435/
http://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7405

seems to be some kind of leak, like the source code for WC 1-4

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Wow this is AWESOME. The quality difference is pretty noticeable, there's less compression artifacting and the colour balance is much better. Thanks for pointing this out. I don't have the GOG version but with these links I think it's also possible to get this to work with the CD version.

Astral Rag

Arcane
In case someone doesn't know this:

If you want to play "SS1 portable" without the next-gen filter, go to \RES\gulikoza\ and open dosbox.conf , now change

pixelshader=hq2x.fx
to
pixelshader=0

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Drifting's very, very awesome Bard's Tale patches (DOS versions) MUST be added. BT2 patch fixes some minor bugs (albeit irritating ones), but BT3 is essentially unplayable without it.

BT2 patch link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5cilMN7N6o2eUk2aWtmd0xHeGs/view
BT3 patch link: https://github.com/ChrisAubuchon/BT3-DOS-patch/blob/master/thiefp.exe

Running the patches is super easy: download the executables (dkp.exe and thiefp.exe), put them in the game folder, and then use them to run the games instead of the original exes (which you can keep there if, for some insane reason, you decide to run the unpatched games at some point). The patched exes use the same options, eg to configure BT3 you run "thiefp t".

The github page also has a TON of work that he's done on disassembling the code of all 3 games. I'm no programmer and have no idea what's what, but these could be amazing resources for, as far as I can tell, doing just about anything (including conversions of the games to another engine or whatnot)

I think Drifting also patched or did some work on the non-DOS versions but I am not sure and have no idea where the files would be.

drifting, I hotlinked the files directly, if you'd rather we use different links please let us know. And many thanks again for the great work.

spekkio

Arcane
Added some stuff and things:
- I've put the "multi-game" patches / thingies into a separate category and added some things (Luigi Auriemma's patches, ImageCFG, WSGF),
- Space Quest 4 patches,
- script code patches for Sierra SCI games,
- resolution fix for Medieval - Total War,
- unofficial patches for vanilla Outcast,
- Master of Magic fix by Anthony,
- updated links to new versions of patches for Total Annihilation and WTMB,
- DVD videos fo Wing Commander - Prophecy,
- instruction for running Magic and Mayhem on Win7 x64,
- grammar nazi patch for King's Bounty - The Legend,
- drifting's unofficial patches for Bard's Tale 2&3,
- "No canvas + no paint brush effect" Mod for Valkyria Chronicles,
- and some other shit.

594 lines of pure awesome.

:obviously:

Thanks, people (mostly gondor).

Astral Rag

Arcane
Unpopamole your mouse with this Mouse Acceleration Fix

Some older games, such as Half-Life 1, Counter-Strike 1.x, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal and others, while they are active and running, call a Windows function intending to disable variable mouse acceleration by forcing ALL movement to be accelerated by the same amount (doubled).
On Windows 2000 and earlier, that removed all variable acceleration.
Pointing and aiming in those games was OK, because the mouse response was then linear (all movement was accelerated by the same amount; it was doubled).

In XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.x, Microsoft changed how mouse pointer acceleration worked.
Now when those games call the function (asking that all movement be accelerated), Windows enables the mouse 'Enhance pointer precision' feature, which adds mouse acceleration using a varying curve to control the mouse response. (It enables it even if you have it turned off in the Control Panel Mouse settings.)

With 'Enhance pointer precision' enabled, slower mouse movements make the pointer go extra slow and faster mouse movements make the pointer go extra fast. It is not linear and not straightline.

This is annoying, because where you are aiming at depends on how far you move your mouse, and also on how fast you moved the mouse to aim.

http://www.esreality.com/post/1846538/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix/
http://wiki.sourceruns.org/wiki/Disabling_Mouse_Acceleration

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
^Awaiting opinion from resident FPS-whores.

:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
It's one of the first things I fix when I start using a new PC, playing FPS (and some other genres) without 1:1 precision is insufferable.

This is a "simple" reg fix that can be installed and uninstalled with a few mouse clicks.

TripJack

Hedonist
seems to work as advertised in Windows but apparently quakespasm fixed this issue so i'll have to find another game to test it out with :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom