Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games

Astral Rag

Arcane
Return to Castle Wolfenstein v1.42c Patch

Enables the use of widescreen resolutions and anisotropic filtering and most important of all it makes the game run crash free on Windows 7 x64.

http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/downloads.htm

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is more of a mod to enable proper aspect ratio for widescreen resolutions in Max Payne.

Widescreen Fix

There's also a:

Sound Fix if you're experiencing sound glitches in Vista/7, mainly no music and weird/missing sound effects.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Morrowind patches aren't listed (not under e, m or t and doesn't show up on find)?

(use all these together)
Unofficial Morrowind Patch Project AKA Unofficial Morrowind Patch, Morrowind Patch Project
Morrowind Code Project (includes optional new features)
Morrowind Graphics Extender (includes a bunch of other options, but they are options and it CAN be used purely for widescreen)

Sourceport (currently Incomplete, but mostly playable)
OpenMW (use with Morrowind Patch Project but not the others).

I don't give a shit about the game and don't care to list them, but last I checked, Oblivion had unofficial patches for its unofficial patches . :smileyofreaderschoice:

deuxhero

Arcane
There the same thing I think. That's why I listed the alternate names.

edit: I think MCP has the new stuff unchecked by default and it fixes some very nasty issues.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Added links to controller fixes for Rayman 2 & 3 (vanilla games won't detect gaypads / joysticks on DirectX 9-11).

Tested Unofficial Patch for Blood Omen on Win7 x64.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Patch for The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition this crucial update gives Guybrush a much needed haircut:

C49AED2D9EF6480D73D0CE4577865B75862712A8

Astral Rag

Arcane
ECWolf source port for Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny

ecwolf_fullres.png

Some features:

One binary plays both Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny.
Runs on all popular operating systems. (That's Windows, Mac OS X, Ubuntu, and other Linux based operating systems.)
Modern control schemes supported.
Widescreen and tall screen support with aspect ratio correction.
Soft-moding (no need to deal with compilers)!
Unrestricted map size with support for non-square maps.
Support for high resolution textures and mixed definition.
Support for additional image formats and archive formats.

http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/

If you use Steam to play Wolf you can just delete dosbox.exe and place the ECWolf content in common/wolfenstein 3D/base and rename ecwolf.exe to dosbox.exe

spekkio

Arcane
Well, you mentioned the Chaplain mod here, but I had to do the further research myself. Brolapsed.

:rpgcodex:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
So it took you less than a minute with Google. Big deal. Did you know the bugfix mod also incorporates the Skirmish AI mod, which dramatically improves the AI but isn't a bugfix and changes the way the game plays, which should go against your own guideline at the start of the post?

spekkio

Arcane
Gragt said:
Did you know the bugfix mod also incorporates the Skirmish AI mod, which dramatically improves the AI but isn't a bugfix and changes the way the game plays, which should go against your own guideline at the start of the post?
But of course.

:smug:

An what "guidelines" are you talking about?

spekkio said:
These rules are not set in stone, of course - in some cases fan updates contain both clear fixes and some gameplay modifications.
Grooby, pls.

:roll:

For purity's sake, I can add links to the original Chaplain mod, but only if you google it for me.

:rpgcodex:

*Edit

Of course, you would have to find some older version, since Chaplain mod already had the Skirmish AI mod included (since V21, with V25 being the latest version).

smug.png

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I mention something in another thread that you find useful for this one, and you decide to go Priscilla McOffended because you had to do a web search yourself. That's cute.

Of course, you would have to find some older version, since Chaplain mod already had the Skirmish AI mod included (since V21, with V25 being the latest version).

Why would I need to do a search when you're the one caring more about this? And why use an older version when one can simply install the latest version of the bugfix mod and remove the Skirmish AI mod from it if one feels so inclined?

spekkio

Arcane
Gragt said:
I mention something in another thread that you find useful for this one, and you decide to go Priscilla McOffended
BRO, I think you need to chill out.
I thought everyone here is familiar with my sense of humor. Check out my "translation" thread where I bitch about people posting hentai games all the time (which I have 0 problems with, of course).
I'll try to remember to handle your sensible feels with care next time.
It looks that the ferret-free environment doesn't serve you well.

fagit

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Doom, Doom 2, Hexen, Heretic, Strife

Chocolate Doom is a source port for Doom and other games based on the same engine. Other ports exist but mainly aim to add new features while Chocolate Doom tries to faithfully reproduce the way Vanilla Doom originally played back in the '90s, including bugs and other limitations. It lacks the bells and whistles of other ports but the games will look and feel the way they were designed to while natively running on modern systems without the need for DOSBox. While it may be tempting to use another port with more features some of these may change the gameplay in the subtle ways, for instance dynamic lighting systems might remove a difference in lighting that can be a clue to a secret area. Chocolate Doom can also play old maps and mods created for Vanilla Doom that won't run in more modern ports.

Edit: While on the subject this page may be useful if you want to check the version for the various WAD files and ensure you have the latest ones: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/IWAD If you do not have the latest version you can always track patches for them on the net but may need to use DOSBox to apply them.

It is worth nothing that for the best experience you should use the original WADs and not those that come from the BFG Edition of Doom 3 as these contains some silly changes (censorship of the secret Wolfenstein levels, Nightmare! difficulty toned down, red cross logo of stimpacks changed to a pill) and potentially some bugs. Spare yourself the trouble and use the files from the regular releases of Doom.

Final Doom is interesting. It consists of two WADs, being TNT: Evilution and Plutonia Experiment and both have bugs — minor for Plutonia and game-breaking for Evilution. Evilution is infamous for having the yellow key card being flagged as multiplayer-only in map31, making it unable to be collected in single-player and thus preventing the completion of the level — it's possible to do it with glitches but you'll have to admit it's less than ideal; the popular fix is to use a PWAD released by TeamTNT to patch the issue. The weird thing is that while id Software never officially released a patch for the issue, some versions of their '96 anthology contain a WAD with the bug fixed as well as some minor changes. That version also features a fixed Plutonia WAD where the multiplayer spawns on two maps are correctly activated this time. The trick is that only a handful of these anthologies have the fixed WADs and the rest have the original ones, and since all packaging are identical it is a bit of a mystery why this happened. Even the Final Doom version being currently sold on Steam has the original unfixed WADs, so it's like someone at id fixed that stuff without most people knowing, it made its way on some anthology CDs, and then it went unnoticed. So in case you got your Final Doom WADs from Steam, be aware that you'll be stuck in Evilution unless you apply the fix linked earlier, but I guess you can live with the 2 maps in Plutonia being unavailable for multiplayer. Of course you can always track the updated WADs on the Seven Seas if you wish, but their scarce status might break compatibility with demos and the likes if that is important to you — it doesn't for me.

Lastly the first, and most commonly distributed, version of Final Doom has 2 bugs tied to the executable. One is that the game will crash if left on the title screen too long. Reason for that one is simple: Final Doom is based on the Ultimate Doom source, and UD has 4 demos while FD only 3; FD will play its 3 demos and crash when it expects to find the 4th. The second bug affects teleportation: the Z coordinate isn't checked, meaning the player may spawn on the ground just as he may spawn in mid-air. The second release of Final Doom fixes both bugs, but again due to its rarity it may break external stuff. Chocolate Doom can emulate the game version you want but due to the fact the first version is most common, it will by default load the 2 Final Doom WADs as that one. This can easily be switched though by using the "-gameversion final2" command-line argument.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Doom, Doom 2, Hexen, Heretic, Strife

Chocolate Doom is a source port for Doom and other games based on the same engine. Other ports exist but mainly aim to add new features while Chocolate Doom tries to faithfully reproduce the way Vanilla Doom originally played back in the '90s, including bugs and other limitations. It lacks the bells and whistles of other ports but the games will look and feel the way they were designed to while natively running on modern systems without the need for DOSBox. While it may be tempting to use another port with more features some of these may change the gameplay in the subtle ways, for instance dynamic lighting systems might remove a difference in lighting that can be a clue to a secret area. Chocolate Doom can also play old maps and mods created for Vanilla Doom that won't run in more modern ports.
No roland music, p. lame

Divicus

Learned
spekkio

Jagged Alliance 2 1.13:

It's half patch (bugfixes, higher resolutions etc) and half mod (new chance to hit system, changes with tactical implications like sight orientation and distance, new items). If you like your game close to vanilla you can tone down the changes with the built-in ini-editor which allows for lots of customisations.

Official site with stable release

Forums with newer releases

There's even a submod which allows you to recruit Calvin Barkmore:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom