Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Arcanum Patch (Original Thread)

KoopaKoot

Novice
First I'd like to say that I very much enjoy the changes and improvements that the patch has made.

I noticed two possible issues (Spoilers):

-After he leaves to avenge his brother, Virgil didn't become the level 25 Virgil. has that not been changed since the official patch?
-In Tulla, I got locked in one of the rooms you open by stepping on the magic switches. The doors closed behind me somehow.

Mesqalito

Novice
Dear Drog Black Tooth. I really appreciate your effort for making such a huge work on Arcanum. Accept my thanks.

As long as I want this project to evolve, I'd like to submit a small bug report.

I play latest UAP (UAP081229 I guess) and found these:
  1. When you first come to Shrouded Hills Gaylin the herbalist does not appear at all. If you leave SH, wait a day and return she will be at her place. You can test this by creating a new character and running strait to SH.
  2. Halcyon Altar in Vooriden.
    If you managed to complete the quest by fixing the altar before you talk to Stringy Pete, the altar will look fixed but it still will be actually broken and you'll unable to make an offering. I haven't tested though if talking to Stringy Pete before completing the quest fixes the problem, but such info I found on other forums.
    As long as your UAP does not provide fix for this situation I managed to make some diggings and found a solution (partially adopted from Asrudin's fix and Russian GrandFix).
    Here is a solution that I made: rapidshare. The actual bug in my situation was in two script files (02806Halcyon_Altar_USE.scr and 02944Halcyon_Offering_Plate_USE.scr) which referenced incorrect global flags. Other fixes there is a tool for forcibly setting global flags. It can be activated ingame by talking to Gaylin.
  3. Thorvald Two Stones
    You cannot inform Wheel Clan about incarceration of Thorvald if you already persuaded Loghaire to return to his people. This makes Randver disappear and it appears that Randver is the only person you can let this quest out. I didn't any investigation here and cannot provide you with ready fix, sorry.
  4. Tarant library and "The Curse of T'sen Ang"
    My conditions were: I never talked to librarian before and now according to main quest I have to talk to librarian to obtain membership and this book (apparently, not this book, but Horror among the dark elves or vice versa, don't remember). I also had "suspicous" attitude to me from the librarian.
    I've made about 20-30 tries of different dialogue options with her and found that there is a way to break the dialogue coming to a dead end: you haven't retrieved a membership or a book and you have only one dialogue option to say goodbye. You have to do about 5-7 dialogue steps to reproduce this bug but I don't remember now the exact order. Considering this is a really small bug(because in most cases you end up with correct dialogue), I have no distinct scenario for now but if the need will raise I think I will be able to reproduce it.

And in conclusion I have to add that you really ignored Russian GrandFix for nothing (as I found mention about it in this thread) as it does not only fixes language issues but many gameplay related also. I cannot address all the key differences for now but at least Halcyon issue was fixed in GrandFix. Please, reconsider your decision about GrandFix, I think it's worth to be merged with UAP.

As for Extra Content (including both unimplemented/unused by developers initial features and features that tend to improve "immersion" - like new items, quests, NPCs, dialogues, etc.) I would like to see this part largely expanded (Automaton Gunner etc.). It appears GrandFix also has quite alot of stuff in this section.

Again, thanks for attention, I hope at least some of my words will help the project:).

Double Ogre

Scholar
Mesqalito said:
Halcyon Altar in Vooriden.
If you managed to complete the quest by fixing the altar before you talk to Stringy Pete, the altar will look fixed but it still will be actually broken and you'll unable to make an offering. I haven't tested though if talking to Stringy Pete before completing the quest fixes the problem, but such info I found on other forums.
As long as your UAP does not provide fix for this situation I managed to make some diggings and found a solution (partially adopted from Asrudin's fix and Russian GrandFix).
This doesn't happen to me, or anyone else here, as far as I know. Thus, it's a problem on your side. The upcoming version will be performing several checks during the installation to make sure that you have the English version patched to 1.0.7.4 without any conflicting mods to rule out problems like this. If the requirements aren't met, the patch simply won't install.

Mesqalito said:
And in conclusion I have to add that you really ignored Russian GrandFix for nothing (as I found mention about it in this thread) as it does not only fixes language issues but many gameplay related also. I cannot address all the key differences for now but at least Halcyon issue was fixed in GrandFix. Please, reconsider your decision about GrandFix, I think it's worth to be merged with UAP.
I've heard of that project. It's basically a crude translation patch + lots of "kewl" custom content and some random fixes.

Mesqalito

Novice
OgreOgre said:
This doesn't happen to me, or anyone else here, as far as I know. Thus, it's a problem on your side. The upcoming version will be performing several checks during the installation to make sure that you have the English version patched to 1.0.7.4 without any conflicting mods to rule out problems like this. If the requirements aren't met, the patch simply won't install.
I have English version of Arcanum with 1.0.7.4 patch installed. I use UAP and resolution patch. i also applied universal level cap remover and wrote leveling table myself but this doesn't interfere with other game mechanics. I also undatted all resources in game after UAP installation and found there scripts that reference incorrect global flags. So I really don't understand how it managed to work at yours if you didn't change the numbers of global flags of course.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Mesqalito said:
I have English version of Arcanum with 1.0.7.4 patch installed. I use UAP and resolution patch. i also applied universal level cap remover and wrote leveling table myself but this doesn't interfere with other game mechanics. I also undatted all resources in game after UAP installation and found there scripts that reference incorrect global flags. So I really don't understand how it managed to work at yours if you didn't change the numbers of global flags of course.
Mesqalito said:
The actual bug in my situation was in two script files (02806Halcyon_Altar_USE.scr and 02944Halcyon_Offering_Plate_USE.scr) which referenced incorrect global flags.
Except these two scripts were actually fixed in the official patch. Check Arcanum4.dat and see for yourself, they're using the same global flag as your 'fixed' ones.

Mesqalito

Novice
Damn stupid I feel, you're right! Apparently I somehow installed patch only on arcanum.exe file and forgotten everything else. So I haven't Arcanum4.dat at all!
Sorry for this accident.

Brunhart

Novice
Recently I began playing Arcanum again and I have only just recently been aware of an unofficial patch, I am very happy to see there is a community for Arcanum and I rather enjoy the patch.

I thought I should mention a couple of bugs I have come across while using the latest patch, in hopes of seeing these fixed in the next version.

- The Gnome in shrouded Hills who says he is "Prestons Brother" In several cases, if you give him the ring, he does not have it in his inventory and so the ring is lost for good, I think it varies on what you choose in Dialogue as I gave him the ring once and he was then wearing it, meaning I could get it back. But in some cases where you give him the ring, he won't have it on him at all.
(It Could be related to Persuasion I tend to build that first and found new dialogue lines with the gnome)

- This one isn't as big of a deal, but I had Franklyn Payne in my party, and noticed some of his lines have no audio, I noticed this especially in the void etc. when you ask him about where we are.

- This one I am rather confused about, I recall in vanilla Arcanum that after Virgil leaves and you go and find him, that he was a changed man and had stats and magic that were more suited for battle, I also know his level was set to 25, using this unofficial patch, Virgil does not seem to acquire that new "build" when he rejoins you now.
It kind of kills the whole idea of a "New Virgil" and the fact he said
"I feel as though I am now better equipped for our upcoming fight" etc.
I'm also using the Prima Guide that explains the whole thing about virgil having different spells and will be level 25 etc.

- The last thing i noticed was with the Molochien hand encounters, if you talk your way out of fighting them, there is Dialogue that they say that seems to vanish off the screen extremely quickly, then they say "On your way then eh?"

Anyway, those are the only things I have noticed that aren't listed in upcoming fixes, everything else is great though.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Brunhart said:
- This one isn't as big of a deal, but I had Franklyn Payne in my party, and noticed some of his lines have no audio, I noticed this especially in the void etc. when you ask him about where we are.
Many voice clips for Franklyn Payne aren't included with the game.

Brunhart said:
- This one I am rather confused about, I recall in vanilla Arcanum that after Virgil leaves and you go and find him, that he was a changed man and had stats and magic that were more suited for battle, I also know his level was set to 25, using this unofficial patch, Virgil does not seem to acquire that new "build" when he rejoins you now.
It kind of kills the whole idea of a "New Virgil" and the fact he said
"I feel as though I am now better equipped for our upcoming fight" etc.
I'm also using the Prima Guide that explains the whole thing about virgil having different spells and will be level 25 etc.
The UAP has nothing to do with this. This change was introduced in the official patch, since most people didn't like Virgil losing XP and items. Also, note that he does change his leveling scheme, so if the transition is done at a low enough level, he will learn new spells, such as Harm and Resurrect (normal Virgil no longer learns Resurrect, this was also changed in the official patch).

Brunhart

Novice
OgreOgre said:
Many voice clips for Franklyn Payne aren't included with the game.

The UAP has nothing to do with this. This change was introduced in the official patch, since most people didn't like Virgil losing XP and items. Also, note that he does change his leveling scheme, so if the transition is done at a low enough level, he will learn new spells, such as Harm and Resurrect (normal Virgil no longer learns Resurrect, this was also changed in the official patch).

That's a shame about Franklyns Voice.

On the subject of Virgil though... that's quite odd, I never knew that was "official" how low are we talking for levels?

I am wondering if I can force this all, since just knowing how to find Hardins pass allows access to that half of Arcanum (I still haven't even visited the Schuylers yet) I'm also trying to trigger Mr. Willoughsby's appearance early so I can get my damn Master rank, anyway that's another topic.

Rakanishu

Novice
woot an arcanum patch and I saw there's also a high resolotion patch
do I start reading the 95 pages of this thread or start installing arcanum,hmmm,difficult choice.
There's also the Indie rpg's thread to discover ,I thinck I really found a gem with this site
Was desperate for something to do and now I find myself with too much choice lol ,I wanna read it all,hope I don't find myself digging up really old threads and being blamed for that

emperorworm

Novice
hey drog,first of all i want to thank you for all the efforts you have made to make all of this patch.i just want to ask you when will the next patch will be released?its been a while...

Alqualos

Novice
foobie said:
The save file: http://rapidshare.de/files/48000343/Save.rar.htm

Book passage to half-ogre island and there will be no captain on the ship.

I must say that I, too, have run into the same problem. However, I have found out that it apparently has nothing to do with the UAP itself but rather it is caused by hi-res patch for whatever crazy reason. I had tried removing UAP and going to Half-Ogre island and there was still no captain. But when I removed the hi-res patch, it appeared, no matter if with the UAP or not. Moreover, when I started the game without the hi-res patch and loaded the game saved with no captain on the island already, he mysteriously appeared. Then I saved the game, restarted with hi-res patch and the captain was still there. Go figure. Still, it is a pretty simple workaround that helps not to break the game with this bug even in the worst case.

I am running at 1280x1024, if that helps.

P. S. I have found another workaround while writing this post. It is to save game a bit away from the ship and then just reload it. The captain appears. Looks like some script checks for whether the ship is in the "vicinity" when causing the captain to appear.

hal900x

Augur
Postponed indefinitely? I didn't see anything on this besides the title edit. Hopefully it's just due to temporary RL issues or some such, would be a real shame to see it dropped altogether. If that's the case now would be a good time to say thanks for all the work to this point. The patch in it's current incarnation is plenty, and it's given me a lot of joy.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I'm taking a break from Arcanum. Moreover, no new major bugs have been found and no new particularly interesting features/cut content have been implemented. If I release what I have now, it won't be very exciting/meaningful. Anyway, I'll probably finish going through my list of minor bugs and annoyances and release the patch in a month or two. Or not.

Oh, and BTW, I won't be posting here anymore (regarding Arcanum related matters at least). This thread is shit and I don't have any moderator powers to clean it up and/or deal with spammers and idiots. Terra-Arcanum now rightfully becomes the only place to report bugs/discuss the matters related to the UAP. See you there.

rroyo

Novice
Yeah, Drog took his page down when he left TA but the patch and extra content files are still available in the downloads section.

And the 081229 was the last release.

dx__

Educated
That really sucks, but the last patch fixes enough that I won't have to worry about anything? All I ever hear about is how good the game is, and then I read Drog saying there were going to be some small fixes in the next release - and then, boom, he ups and pulls a _why.

rroyo

Novice
About 99 and-some-odd % of Arcanum's bugs were fixed by the time the 081229 release came out. What I remember seeing in the upcoming fix list was mainly game engine tweaks, NPC toggle-offs, and three or four small dialog fixes. So yeah, Arcanum can now be played without worry.

Enjoy!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom