Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous, a retro RPG inspired by 80s classics, now on Kickstarter

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
What concerns me more is the very basic combat
After playing Lurking RPG, I think their choice (I mean the choice in Unknown Realm) could be the good one. In Lurking they did the journey right, with a very good use of the dialog system, big world to explore with large scale puzzles, etc...but the party-based long boring combats without any interesting enemy because it wasn't one of their main focus are finally as bad as your average hack&slash combat ; If they want to concentrate their efforts on the journey, some basic fast turn-based combat is a decent way to go, at least it's not an action game.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wtf is this fucking "lol hipster retrostuff those graphics are ugly make something better pls" bullshit, I thought this was the fucking Codex where classical oldschool RPG gaming is held in high regard
This looks good. I didn't even play the 80s RPGs back when they were fresh (mostly because I was born in 1988 and was introduced to gaming by my dad in the early 90s when I was 3 years old, so all pre-1990 games passed me by), but this looks appealing to me because there just seems to be so much love for the genre and era put into it. This isn't "let's cash in on the pixel nostalgia" retro, this is "we fucking love oldschool and want games like that back" retro.

And did you even read the feature list? "Just some dumb archaic game" my ass. Secret locations? Large bestiary? Fucking choice and consequence? That's more than most modern RPGs offer.

I, for one, get a very positive vibe from this.

Anyone who bashes this for the archaic graphics should hand in their Codexer card.

Did you even read that I mentioned the presentation and NOT the features? Redding is teh hard for Krauts it seems.

Anyway, fuck off with shit arguments. Choice and Consequence as a 'feature' in a RPG? Next you'll be singing the praises of Romance options! So apart from shit graphics, you also welcome shit features in shit graphics? Let me guess, the static one colour icon of the villager will turn from red to blue when you choose to keep the sword of buttfucking instead of giving it back? Cool story bro.

I'm exaggerating of course, but you miss the point. I wasn't complaining about the features but the presentation. There's no need to make it look like shit just to fill some perceived nostalgia. You think this will sell in any way to keep these guys active beyond this? If they have something decent, then present it decently. Shit minimalist graphics don't make things 'cool' and what is the point of 'C&C' when its presented in such a rudimentary way? I've news for you:there were much better looking games than this even in C64 era!Just aping Ultima IV doesn't make this game a classic of the ages. Problem here is they are trying to put modern RPG sensibilities in a presentation that isn't really that good in conveying what they are trying to do. Games in the past used other assets that I mentioned like maps, lore books, journals in order to flesh out what couldn't be presented.They didn't do it just for the fun of it. This game won't have physical additions like that, so will have to rely purely on the graphics to convey information and I don't think it's the right way to go about it. At least if they went with with 1990 256 colour EGA/VGA style, it would be exponentially better(Ultima 6,Wiz 6).

Hell, take Underrail. It's not a pretty game, looks more primitive than Fallout and even Vogels recent efforts, YET there's enough graphical fidelity to provide oodles of immersion and ability to present a detailed world that HELPS the game. It's nothing to do with graphic whoring!

Oh and you're a Thief fan....why play it in 3D? Why not play a 4 colour, 2D version? Why sell out to the next gen?

Beyond_Castle_Wolfenstein_1985_screenshot.gif

By your reasoning, you should play this instead of Thief. Why don't you? Oh, what's that, because it looks like shit and is limited compared to what Thief with its late 90's engine can do and present?

The presentation is entirely adequate for the thing they're planning to do, I think.

And your final strawman argument is bullshit. Thief is a different game with different goals. Being in 3D is an integral part of its gameplay.

This is trying to emulate the old classics from the late 80s to early 90s. Ultimas, Gold Box games, etc.
Sure, going with early 90s VGA graphics would look exponentially better, but it would also take more effort to create and wouldn't work as well on the C64 due to hardware limitations. The very fact they're making this for C64 is impressive in itself.

Just because this isn't to your tastes doesn't mean this game doesn't have any legitimacy.
There are lots of posters here who will very likely love this game when it's released because it's exactly their type. I'd bet cash that this kickstarter campaign is already getting Crooked Bee's panties wet :M

newtmonkey

Arcane
It seems like they're making a cool game, and I don't care that that the graphics are old. No one is making games like this, regardless of the graphics. I think it's a good thing.

Darkzone

Arcane
I don't think that this will revive the C64. But i love the graphics and the sound.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks quite charming.

How I wish someone would make a scifi RPG with Dreamweb as the model of function and visuals.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
What are you complaining about? This game looks gorgeous. Hopefully they will discard shit like cutscenes and minigames, because all other features look great.

jungl

Augur
oh this is what is trendy now in hipster indie gaming? When are they going to start making indie games with early 3D games low resolution graphics I miss those and can't wait to play them in 2017! xD

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny. All these edgelords here quickly fapped and broke the bank on getting a VGA 386 to replace their C64's(assuming they actually played on a C64 or even were born then). Now all of a sudden, making games in more that 4 colours is AAA? Methinks the hipsters doth try hard too much.

PS. Game looks like any other lazy retro shit vomited on steam by the shitload. C64 palette is the in 'thing' these days. Just making it look like crap from the 80's shouldn't get a free pass.Those Ultimas came with all sorts of added lore books, and stuffies that made the world come alive beyond the limitations of the age. Garriott didn't make the games look like that because he thought to be all 'retro chic' in the coming decades, but due to technological constraints. Why accept such presentation now when you don't have to? If you have a great game, present it as such. I'd rather see this game use D:OS engine or even bloody Unity than appeal to faux nostalgia. If I want nostalgia I'll play the original games of that time!
Never thought I would side with Mr Blakemore's vilest enemy but I have to agree; one thing is looking to stir those nostalgic strings and another is having 4 color graphics and say it made the games classics. I rather replay Ultima 4 than play a game that "evokes" those games

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
How dare they make a game in the graphical style that they personally enjoy. Fucking hipster bullshit cashing in on nostalgia

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Ultima fans are opening their wallets. The KS is at $36,421 with 286 supporters. That averages out to $127 per backer - close to the price of the Collector's Edition. :takemymoney:

Is it Ultima fans, or is it C64/retrogaming fans? I bet there's more than a few Retro Gamer magazine subscribers who have been waiting for something like this.

Morkar Left

Though, the game will be limited to the essources of a c64?

I don't mind the "retro" style to have more time and ressources to focus on gameplay. But I expect more gameplay this way.
If it's just a new Ultima 4 clone I can go without it. If they actually bring in more complex game mechanics, good dialog with branching trees, lots of exploration etc. I'm interested.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd put my money on the former. Ultima fans have always been a bit crazy about their games, crazy enough to buy virtual housing and fund Richard Garriott's various schemes. Not saying the latter don't play a part.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

I don't mind the "retro" style to have more time and ressources to focus on gameplay. But I expect more gameplay this way.
If it's just a new Ultima 4 clone I can go without it. If they actually bring in more complex game mechanics, good dialog with branching trees, lots of exploration etc. I'm interested.

Origin, SSI etc didn't too badly with C64's limitations. When you have limitations you have to use your creativity.

Morkar Left

Origin, SSI etc didn't too badly with C64's limitations. When you have limitations you have to use your creativity.

Being restricted how much text you can use is hardly something to push creativity in a rpg. I'm all for focusing on gameplay instead of graphics but limiting yourself to constraints of c64 hardware is not a recipe for a good game. It's just artificially limiting your game. Which can be interesting as a programmer I guess or to get some historical inside how it was in the past of gamedevelopment. But not a game I really want to play when I can have enough old games to replay.

almondblight

Arcane
Being restricted how much text you can use is hardly something to push creativity in a rpg. I'm all for focusing on gameplay instead of graphics but limiting yourself to constraints of c64 hardware is not a recipe for a good game. It's just artificially limiting your game. Which can be interesting as a programmer I guess or to get some historical inside how it was in the past of gamedevelopment. But not a game I really want to play when I can have enough old games to replay.

Relevant quote:

You are correct in that at one point I was considering making it for the C128 because I wasn't sure I could get all the features I wanted in just 64k, including things like, music, portraits and the ability for in-game cutscenes. Some may recall that features like those didn't exist on the C64 in the later Ultimas of that era (Ultima V & VI) and I thought they were important story telling devices. Since I got all the features in I wanted, there is no reason for a C128 version anymore. :)

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Another relevant quote:

our design philosophy, which is that constraints breed creativity. Designing in 8-bit forces us to focus exclusively on creating fun gameplay rather than non-essential features.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I think the only C64 constraint they're violating is cartridge capacity.

hemispheres

Stirring Dragon Games
Patron
Developer
Infinitron thank you so much for posting about our game! Its an honor to be mentioned here. :) It seems like there are some old school fans here and we hope to win over at least a few more of you yet.
-Laura of Stirring Dragon Games

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom