Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
TB + challenging gameplay + narrative-focused + low fantasy setting + vintage graphics = :incline:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
On a more constructive note, I wonder if the game has a potential to become popular in the mainstream.
No. TB + too difficult + too much text + no monsters + dated graphics = very limited appeal.

Torment flopped when it was released. Despite some strong and positive critical reaction, many complained about the unusual setting and mechanics and the abundance of text. It took a few years but the public finally recognised it for what it is. I don't know how AoD will do at launch but if it's good its popularity can only grow with time.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Torment flopped when it was released. Despite some strong and positive critical reaction, many complained about the unusual setting and mechanics and the abundance of text. It took a few years but the public finally recognised it for what it is. I don't know how AoD will do at launch but if it's good its popularity can only grow with time.
This is a bit of a myth. PST didn't really flop, it was a profitable venture for Interplay and sold around double what Fallout sold for example.

It just wasn't BG successful.

Ninjerk

Arcane
This is a bit of a myth. PST didn't really flop, it was a profitable venture for Interplay and sold around double what Fallout sold for example.

It just wasn't BG successful.
Therefore, a terrible failure :P

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
On a more constructive note, I wonder if the game has a potential to become popular in the mainstream.
No. TB + too difficult + too much text + no monsters + dated graphics = very limited appeal.
But in counterparts, you manage to make it as you want it to be, that is to say "No level up system + no romances + no cinematics (+ no cinematic romances ) but a mighty game with heavy CC.
What's :incline: here is :decline: for the rest of the world

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
There are monsters though.
Not enough. Many people (mainly the casuals) want to start a game, make a character, and go kill some cool monsters, because in most cases that's what RPGs are all about. After seeing how the game was received on many different forums, I understand what Feargus meant when he was talking about the importance of the setting being familiar, so that people don't waste time trying to understand it, the importance of instant recognition, that spending a long time to make your party is a thing of the past now, etc.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
And in ZX Spectrum , I had enough time to read War and Peace while I was waiting for the cassette to load :D

43263221.jpg

So, Vault Dweller , since by now you have an idea what AoD's sales will be, are there any plans for a sequel ? Or is it "I made my game the way I wanted, I didn't compromise and the people who like the same things as me, liked it. So fuck you all, I'll concentrate on my day job I'll apply for a job at Obsidian.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I'd rather continue making games. As mentioned previously, I want to make a colony ship RPG (generation ship, orphans of the sky, non-stop, etc) and a party-based dungeon crawler set in the AoD world.

Biznatch Haderach

Barely Literate

Didn't ADOM get quite a bundle on KickStarter? Surely your game has a lot more appeal than that, even if it doesn't have as wide of a following. Yet.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There are monsters though.
Not enough. Many people (mainly the casuals) want to start a game, make a character, and go kill some cool monsters, because in most cases that's what RPGs are all about. After seeing how the game was received on many different forums, I understand what Feargus meant when he was talking about the importance of the setting being familiar, so that people don't waste time trying to understand it, the importance of instant recognition, that spending a long time to make your party is a thing of the past now, etc.

It's not a thing of a past. It's a thing of flawed assumptions.

You assume you can tap into the vast consoletard market by making an oldschool game. That's wrong. When you make an oldschool game, your market are the oldschool gamers. That means approx. the same sales numbers like in the old days.

You see, it is not that people that like to play old school RPGs have vanished but that the market has been blown up by consoletards and biowhores and that game developers and publishers assume their game is only successful if they have ridiculous sales figures.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I've never expected to tap into the casual/console market. My expectations have always been modest and conservative. The quote above was in response to "I wonder if the game has a potential to become popular in the mainstream".

In general though, even when it comes to "old-school" TB games, your mileage varies greatly. For example, Conquistadors didn't sell enough to justify a sequel, which is a shame, whereas Dead State sold significantly more than AoD in less time, even though the engine, systems, and visuals are the same/similar. Another 'Early Access' indie RPG (TB) sold 10,000+ copies in the first month on Early Access (not talking about Wasteland 2, obviously, as that's an entirely different category).

Vault Dweller

Developer
He told me in a private conversation. If you have access to my PM, take a look, otherwise it's not my info to share.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, if you talked to him here on the Codex, I guess I have a pretty good idea which one it is. Not many options, really.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sounds grim. Well then, one can only hope that you guys will ship a steam code to TotalBiscuit sometime prior to the final release and keep one's fingers crossed.

Vault Dweller

Developer
We asked him back in Nov, he said that he doesn't really cover RPGs. Besides, our game isn't exactly a video LP material.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
We asked him back in Nov, he said that he doesn't really cover RPGs. Besides, our game isn't exactly a video LP material.
You might be confusing him with someone else, he doesn't do let's plays but a sort of short reviews. And I distinctly remember him mentioning he likes CYOA, reactivity and mutually exclusive paths in games.

Aaand he seemed kind of excited for the game back in the day. Here he discussed it with his retard friend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsFpluxaFyE#t=2h24m54s

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom