Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Now we all know the game sells well, and your goal is achieved, are you still not interested to make some few boxed edition Vince? (Cause I still want one)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now we all know the game sells well, and your goal is achieved, are you still not interested to make some few boxed edition Vince? (Cause I still want one)
th.jpg

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
Hopefully, you deserve it. Probably the first RPG I felt truly engrossed in since Torment, though I haven't enjoyed the replays as much as I do some other things. Not sure why, just felt like once was enough.
How come? All the classes are different.

Just doing another playthrough didn't seem to appeal to me once I knew a general of all the plot twists and such. I know that there're some variations in story based on your starting faction and such but none of them interested me terribly of what I started and the combat I feel didn't change all that much since there's no like huge differences of casting spells and the like

Viata

Arcane
I played the game only once, but I did start some different classes to see how the game would roll. It was enough for me to know I need to finish this game over and over again. I remember how many things I was unable to do on first run because my character lack the skills/strength for that. Besides, since I ignored every post related to the plot I'm p. sure I only know the main plot and that is still incomplete since my character had to follow one route and didn't learn that much(did the merchant route because i want to roll a jew).

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
Just wasn't into the other factions enough to play them, if they add one that kills all the jews or something I'd play it again as that faction

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You forgot about curved beak of tax inspector...
You know, he sits down on your shoulder and opened his beak reaching for your wallet ....
This picture is from Harry Harrison, from the cycle of Steel Rat, somehow I remember it very well. ))

Btw I'm too did only one playthrough of P:T, or PS:T how you call it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's not the lack of interest, it's the logistics of it. Anyway, at the moment I'm kinda overloaded as I'm working on the final AoD update, dungeon crawler, and the colony ship game. I simply don't have time to take on another project, no matter how small.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
It's not the lack of interest, it's the logistics of it. Anyway, at the moment I'm kinda overloaded as I'm working on the final AoD update, dungeon crawler, and the colony ship game. I simply don't have time to take on another project, no matter how small.
To be honest, I knew you would say that, but after the final AoD update, and when the dungeon crawler will be released, you'll have more free time assuming the Colony Ship project will still be under the sate of pre-production.The way I see it would a kind of boxed edition that could include both AoD and the dungeon crawler. 2 stones, 1 hit, the final touch for a masterpiece : the AoD uberedition :takemyjewgold:

Viata

Arcane
PS:T has great writing, but not great C&C.
You are limited to a single playstyle if you want to learn the true about your character.

I always assumed that you learned about your real identity by investigating the trail of the past versions of yourself. I was missing something vital the whole time? Oh my god.
As far as I remember, it requires high int and charisma.
The game has shitty combat, so anyone that is going to replay it is not going to create a char based on combat. So it leaves to the diplomacy way, but that is limited to one way because you do need high int and charisma or you are going to have to fight sometimes. But since everyone that is going to replay it don't want to miss the important dialogues, they are going with the same build. That's why the game is limited to one playstyle, you either replay to do every important thing again(since the rest may lead to fights) or you don't replay. Torment is a good game, but there is no reason to play that game again if not in the next x years after the fist time you know everything about MC. Of course, that may lead to replay the game over and over until you are able to do so. But each time, you keep redoing the same build, just changing dialogues here and there. Also, everyone is going to play a mage because it ends battle fast and uses int as base.
Meanwhile, I can see myself replaying AoD many times and every build and choices are going to be different.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
I went through Torment a few times but only because it's much older and after enough time I can appreciate it again. I wouldn't necessarily say the combat is shitty though but it is nearly non-existent

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
As far as I remember, it requires high int and charisma.
The game has shitty combat, so anyone that is going to replay it is not going to create a char based on combat. So it leaves to the diplomacy way, but that is limited to one way because you do need high int and charisma or you are going to have to fight sometimes. But since everyone that is going to replay it don't want to miss the important dialogues, they are going with the same build. That's why the game is limited to one playstyle, you either replay to do every important thing again(since the rest may lead to fights) or you don't replay. Torment is a good game, but there is no reason to play that game again if not in the next x years after the fist time you know everything about MC. Of course, that may lead to replay the game over and over until you are able to do so. But each time, you keep redoing the same build, just changing dialogues here and there. Also, everyone is going to play a mage because it ends battle fast and uses int as base.
Meanwhile, I can see myself replaying AoD many times and every build and choices are going to be different.

I played with high INT and WIS, but I probably invested in CHA as well. Unfortunately, the retarded trash mobs and idiotic combat system killed any chance of replaying the game when I finished the first time, but I will probably play it another time.

Vault Dweller

Developer
To be honest, I knew you would say that, but after the final AoD update, and when the dungeon crawler will be released, you'll have more free time assuming the Colony Ship project will still be under the sate of pre-production.The way I see it would a kind of boxed edition that could include both AoD and the dungeon crawler. 2 stones, 1 hit, the final touch for a masterpiece : the AoD uberedition :takemyjewgold:
There are quite a few issues there from logistics (how many copies to order, quality which is usually related to the size of your order, distribution, etc) to taxes (selling physical goods is very different from selling digital goods). Even the price is an issue. Usually boxed editions go for $250 on Kickstarter, which covers a lot and even lets you get higher quality without placing a large order (1000 copies), but I don't want to sell boxes for $250, collection edition or not.

So it seems that Kickstarter is the best platform for such things but we won't do a KS just to sell 50 boxes. Anyway, it would be cool to have a real box, so maybe when I have time, probably next year, I will order 10 quality boxes for my amusement and just gift them to people, starting with AbounI and mindx2. It's not something I can promise as first I'd have to find a place that can do such a small run (in the printing industry nobody would touch an order that small, so it'd have to be a place that specializes in such things, handmade almost, which would rule printing out).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It would be cool to make it as a fun competition, like beating agathoth with non uograded bronze equipment or killing 300 people with minimum combat stat, have people email their saves and all.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
I feel like that'd make it into too much of a cheese-fest, seems he already has dedicated fans in mind which is probably fine.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
There are quite a few issues there from logistics (how many copies to order, quality which is usually related to the size of your order, distribution, etc) to taxes (selling physical goods is very different from selling digital goods). Even the price is an issue. Usually boxed editions go for $250 on Kickstarter, which covers a lot and even lets you get higher quality without placing a large order (1000 copies), but I don't want to sell boxes for $250, collection edition or not.

So it seems that Kickstarter is the best platform for such things but we won't do a KS just to sell 50 boxes. Anyway, it would be cool to have a real box, so maybe when I have time, probably next year, I will order 10 quality boxes for my amusement and just gift them to people, starting with AbounI and mindx2. It's not something I can promise as first I'd have to find a place that can do such a small run (in the printing industry nobody would touch an order that small, so it'd have to be a place that specializes in such things, handmade almost, which would rule printing out).

:brodex:

Concerning the boxes manufactory, In France, for the AoD 7" vinyl I made for myself, a very professional "high grade" manufactory has made a great suff for the cover I asked him.He's doesn't ask for minimal or maximum amount of pieces a customer wants to order, so 10 boxes (or even a few more) won't be a problem there. But of course, it's in France.No doubt you can find one in Canada

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I really see no reason why AOD's sales should stop, or even materially slow down. 55,000 customers represents a pretty small percentage of the total possible player base -- I'm not saying there are five million people who could play AOD, but I'm sure there are at least a couple hundred thousand. The easiest data point for me to work off of is Primordia, and the indication there is that it is way, way harder to exhaust the fan base than you'd think. I was reasonably confident that by the end of the first year we'd be in a drips and drabs affair, but not at all -- Year 3 (19k) outsold Year 2 (14k), and thus far Year 4 (10,144 in first two quarters*) is outselling Year 3 (9,821 in first two quarters). (* WEG gives us royalty reports with a two-month lag, so Q1 includes Christmas sales.) This year's summer sale on Steam seems bigger than either of the last two years', too. As long as people are buying the game, they're posting reviews/tweet about it, which brings new people in at a pretty steady rate. If anything, AOD seems to be holding up much more strongly than Primordia, so I wouldn't be surprised to see AOD hit a couple hundred thousand sales over the first four years or so. The percentage sold at a discount may increase over time, but I dunno, I feel like AOD has hit "critical mass" now and should continue doing great for years.

[EDIT: By way of example, Dead State has >100k copies sold. It may have had more "face" appeal with a bigger name designer and the zombies fad, but I would hazard that almost every person who bought that game will wind up buying AOD.]

Vault Dweller

Developer
The percentage sold at a discount may increase over time, but I dunno, I feel like AOD has hit "critical mass" now and should continue doing great for years.
Would be nice, but I'm not so sure.

[EDIT: By way of example, Dead State has >100k copies sold. It may have had more "face" appeal with a bigger name designer and the zombies fad, but I would hazard that almost every person who bought that game will wind up buying AOD.]
It includes the Humble Bundle sales.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm inclined to agree with MRY. The install base is large enough that it will remain in the consciousness of the core RPG market.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
It'd probably do good if it got picked up by some popular streamer but most of them don't have patience to review something like AoD and I wouldn't say AoD is like...prime "let's play!" material. Makes exposure hard.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I really see no reason why AOD's sales should stop, or even materially slow down.
I see one such reason - there are many gamers who rage quitted because the game was too difficult for them and instead of changing tactics they were doing the same thing for a hundredth time expecting different results (in other words - idiots). You can check this thread for such examples or just go to Steam forums. It's really amazing how retarded people can be. And what's worse, these imbeciles are often offended when even THEY notice that they're too stupid for such game and should go back to Skyrim or whatever. And when they're offended they spam Steam threads saying how bad this game is and work really hard to give it bad press. Look at the first AoD review (I'm linking to a picture of the site to not advertise it), it's still one of the highest search results on the net mainly because it was done a long time ago. I'm pretty sure that it did quite a bit of damage. Same goes for Gamebanshee review where the author is a Dragon Age/Risen 3 fan and the game was too hard for his tastes.

The way I see it there aren't that many RPG fans any more, people don't want to read when they play a game and they want to feel awesome, levelling up with spectacular results and killing dragons or other super bosses, romancing with virtual characters and just clicking mindlessly or FPS-ing through the game and see pretty pictures. Some of my friends loved Fallout 1/2, Planescape Torment and other "old" RPGs but now they wouldn't go back to it because of graphics and they find games such as AoD as obsolete. I often hear the excuses: "I'm too old for this"/"I just want to relax after work and don't have the will to think"/"I don't have time". I'm really curious how the demographic looks like for Age of Decadence, I doubt many very young (i.e. 20 years old or less) players enjoyed this game.And if that would be the case the sales will drop with each year.

There's also another category of players, not sure if he's an idiot but he's definitely not sane if an in-game warning could trigger him: http://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/358416640397765186/
I wonder what he would say if he saw the awesome button?

UQlnpHr.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom