Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unhealthy interest in sales figures

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vault Dweller Would you shed some light on how accurate the Steamspy numbers are on game sales. Currently for AoD it is: 25,275 ± 3,506. I don't want you to tell the exact number, but I was wondering if the Steam owner's number is really between 22-28.000?

He already did. This is what happens when discussion gets split between two threads

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-to-be-successful.103562/page-24#post-4306391

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Vault Dweller Would you shed some light on how accurate the Steamspy numbers are on game sales. Currently for AoD it is: 25,275 ± 3,506. I don't want you to tell the exact number, but I was wondering if the Steam owner's number is really between 22-28.000?

He already did. This is what happens when discussion gets split between two threads

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-to-be-successful.103562/page-24#post-4306391
Sad thing this means that GOG basically sells fuck all considering some thousands were sold directly by IT.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Sad thing this means that GOG basically sells fuck all considering some thousands were sold directly by IT.
Yeah, it seems GOG's main profile are still the old classics, people who want to buy a new game still prefer Steam.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GoG's doing ok, way better than GG or any other non-Steam platform. Thing is, Steam is a behemoth that handles 80% of the market (at least). Have to admire Gabe for being a visionary and starting early when the very concept of buying games online was a ridiculous novelty.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Forbes estimation 2011 said:
Steam controls half to 70% of the $4 billion market for downloaded PC games
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0228/technology-gabe-newell-videogames-valve-online-mayhem.html
It's from 2011.Half of 70% digital market is 35%,back then I found it was 75/25 split digital/retail ,so 25% in the end.And that was before we had any solid data on steam.
Looks like spyguy info is cited here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-games-market-worth-35-billion-in-2015/

"can't distinguish games bought elsewhere and activated on Steam from those bought via the Steam store. There's clear margin for error,"

So even less than 15% share for sure.
Ofc I understand that for ITS and 99% of the independent devs steam is really all that is ,but I'm talking about the whole picture.Valve is just big player ,that will probably get bigger,but we got EA,Blizzard,Riot and alike just as big as them.

Now that I mentioned them Vault Dweller did you try to put AoD on Origin or Uplay or they have some crazy policy that make it impossible to sell it there?I have seen a lot of obscure games in both shops recently.

Also googling stuff found this interesting:

https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

Top Grossing PC Games by Revenue, 2015 (mil $)
1 League of Legends Tencent/Riot Games $1,628
2 CrossFire SmileGate $1,110
3 Dungeon Fighter Online Neople $1,052
4 World of Warcraft Activision $814
5 World of Tanks Wargaming.net $446
6 Lineage I NCSOFT $339
7 Maplestory Nexon $253
8 DOTA 2 Valve Corporation $238
9 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Valve Corporation $221
10 Grand Theft Auto V Take-Two Interactive $205

Last edited:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm curious if that PC Gamer article will have any effect on AoD's sales. Do those sites have the pull/power they used to especially on a more niche game?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Now that I mentioned them Vault Dweller did you try to put AoD on Origin or Uplay or they have some crazy policy that make it impossible to sell it there?I have seen a lot of obscure games in both shops recently.
Didn't try.

I'm curious if that PC Gamer article will have any effect on AoD's sales. Do those sites have the pull/power they used to especially on a more niche game?
No immediate effect. Steam exposure is the only thing that matters when it comes to sales.

Vault Dweller

Developer
In Ontario:

Small business tax rate
For tax years that end after 2015, the small business tax rate will be reduced from 11% to 9% over four years as follows:
  • 10.5% effective January 1, 2016;
  • 10% effective January 1, 2017;
  • 9.5% effective January 1, 2018; and
  • 9% effective January 1, 2019.
That's on taxable income, of course.

Trashos

Arcane
45,168 copies, gross revenues $1,030,347, avg $22.81 per copy, wishlist 130,513

I don't know how wishlists work. Is the wishlist number in addition to 45k or does it include it?

Anyway, the question now is how to go from the copies sold number to the wishlist number. Surely there must be some science on it.

Vault Dweller

Developer

That's before Steam and GOG took their cut right?
Yes. Overall, AoD sold well enough to pay for the CSG development and that's all we care about. The money isn't a reward for hard work but wages and expenses (like art) for the next 4 years.

I don't know how wishlists work. Is the wishlist number in addition to 45k or does it include it?
In addition, of course. When you buy a game it's removed from your wishlist and we get a report showing how many people wishlisters we 'converted' at any given period.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
The money isn't a reward for hard work but wages and expenses (like art) for the next 4 years.
Do you think it's enough for that purpose? How do you think will sales develope, do you think the game will continue to sell like many cRPGs do (selling for years on a low but steady level)?

Hegel

Arcane
Is the artist who made this portrait (My avatar) still working with you?

Vault Dweller

Developer
The money isn't a reward for hard work but wages and expenses (like art) for the next 4 years.
Do you think it's enough for that purpose?
It's hard to say, but we got enough to see it through, even if we have to work on pure enthusiasm for a year. I was worried about selling 10-15,000 copies, which would have been the end of it, but 45k copies sold at a good price give us a good 'foundation'. We wouldn't be able to get this kind of money on Kickstarter.

How do you think will sales develope, do you think the game will continue to sell like many cRPGs do (selling for years on a low but steady level)?
I don't know as nobody really knows how well cRPGs sell, especially indie RPGs. We have SteamSpy now but it doesn't account for bundles and free giveaways. If I have to guess though, our sales will continue to go down and after a year or so we'll only sell 3-5 copies a day.

Mustawd

Dunno, but I imagine this is what Hegel looks like in real life. Don't step on my dreams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom