Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unepic

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Metro said:
Too bad Al Lowe wrote much better dialogue than that. Never mind the fact it was an adventure game based around some guy trying to get laid and not a platform RPG.

Exactly, now think about what you just said for a moment, heh heh.

The game is equally juvenile as say, Larry or Space Quests. I'll still take the pop culture references (So far: Warcraft, Starcraft, Futurama, Star Wars, System Shock) and silly gags over the usual standard fantasy tripe.

But hey - it is a platformer, not a god damn adventure game. In this genre the "classics" had much, much worse dialogues and storylines (if they even had any).

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The dumb writing fits because the character is some dork that gets transported into the dungeon during a D&D session.

Also, this game is revolutionary and allows you to skip all dialogue by pressing ESC. So if it's the only thing stopping you from playing the demo...

Drool

Novice
One person and two years of work

This is Francisco Téllez de Meneses, the creator of Unepic.

He spent the last two years spending his free time to create this videogame, programming, creating the graphics of all scenarios, characters and items, editing all rooms, composing background music and writing more than 1000 lines of dialogs and quests.

img_fran.png

QTF???

Luigi

Barely Literate
Combat looks like banal shit boring pos.
Do not want.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Surf Solar said:
"Achievments" spotted.
Interesest was lost.

Uh... those being milestones you've reached so far (bosses killed, % of the map explored, spell schools unlocked...)

The game has a lot of nice little touches, for example a boss that
Uses your potions and magic spells and scrolls against you... including your "teleport somewhere else on the map" type of spells/items...

Also has a quest where you have to cover an orc's crotch with leeches to cause impotency. Leeches drain your health while they are in your inventory and you need to bring 8 of them from the other end of the map at once (while sneaking between guards).

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Surf Solar said:
"Achievments" spotted.
Interesest was lost.

BRO BRIANLESS PCTARD DETECTED LOLLOLOLOLLOL

WAY TO GO CRITICAL THINKING

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLOOLOL I BET THIS GAME DOESNT HAVE MOUSELOOOK

LOLLOLLOLLOL IT NEEDS ONLY KEYBOARD AND MOUSE CONTROL TO BE AWESOME JUST LIKE SUPER MARIO BROTHERS

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So the 'dex is now about discrediting what might be a legitimate game based on one hurr durr dialogue and the fact that it has achievements?

HEEEEEEEEEEEERP DEEEEEEEEEEEERP

expected better of you, Surf Solar

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Grunker said:
So the 'dex is now about discrediting what might be a legitimate game based on one hurr durr dialogue and the fact that it has achievements?

HEEEEEEEEEEEERP DEEEEEEEEEEEERP

expected better of you, Surf Solar

Codex does not play games, they whine.

Meanwhile I have fun. Endgame gets real hard. Though I dislike the fact that some mechanics are repeated (lift in the mine, as example)

circ

Arcane
DwarvenFood said:
circ said:
Why am I supposed to pay for yet another H.E.R.O./Spelunker/Lode Runner clone with shitty ANIMU graphix when I can play the originals. For free.

There was a H.E.R.O. clone ? What Where GIVEEE
There is/was a site that showcased old classics from the 2600/c64 remade for the PC, but I don't remember a URL or much else.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Thanks for pointing out this game. Didnt had that much fun in long time.

Game rocks! Dont believe me, try demo.

Kitako

Arcane
Liked the video, but honestly I can't stomach anymore platform in any form. I need a pause.

Also, it has no bloom.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Punishing Pointless Necroing of Threads
I finally dug up my old save and finished the game. The steam version has improved quite a bit, mainly in trivial ways (voice-overs, a little bit enhanced graphics). And multiplayer? WTF is this faggotry!

Anyway, for those who won't ever try it out, it certainly has memorable ending...
At certain point of the game, you have to pick one out of three chests. The choice determines your ending (that is literally said in the game)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvVkmG1EYU#t=312
[/QUOTE]

Second alternative, for comparison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvVkmG1EYU#t=312

I have an urge to post: "Wow, the end is really cool."

SwiftCrack

Arcane
It has just been fully released (that means officially out of early access) on Steam.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
:necro:

(Yes, again)

This game was in the latest Humble Bundle, and so far it has redeemed my expenditure for the whole bundle all on its own.

This is not a RPG by any definition of the word, though it has some character development in terms of weapons. Which weapons to choose becomes important because each of them have their style. Swords against maggots, hammers against skeletons, a bow is always handy and spears have that extra reach.

What it is, is a fun little game. Certainly not monocled, but worth a look, at least. It takes the approach of "real-life child sucked into a magical fantasy land", except said child is probably in his late 20s/early 30s and has yet to grow up. Conversations are inevitably immature, unfunny and predictable.

I'm currently in the penultimate area (Halls) and I've beaten all but one of the guardians needed to reach the end boss. And except for one boss (the one Haba mentioned, the one that messes with your controls and makes you drink potions and use teleportation items) they're all pushovers, I beat them on the first try (playing on Medium). But that Neuron boss is a motherfucker of a nuisance. He floats in the air, is immune to all projectiles and magic, his attack cannot be dodged and he forces the player to drink his potions, cast his spells upon himself or use teleportation items to be sent to another part of the castle. I can see that the developer is trying to channel a little Psycho Mantis here, but this is ridiculous. It took me over a dozen attempts to beat him, and only after I had to drop almost all of my inventory to prevent it being used against me. Cheesy piece of shit, it wouldn't surprise me if many players just give up when they reach that boss.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's the Medusa ripoff (the seventh guardian) that relies on sight. I'm talking about the brain, the fourth guardian. He doesn't care where you're looking.

Speaking of the Medusa ripoff, he follows the same school of thought as Neuron: You must have a specific build custom-tailored to beat him. The other bosses can be beaten with a little common sense and using whatever weapons you have on hand (even the rock-paper-scissors gauntlet), but Neuron and Medeox require specific builds in order to be beaten. Want to use a melee build against Medeox? Fuck you, he's floating over a pit of spikes and insta-kills you with that death-ray. Want to use a ranged/magic build against Neuron? FUCK YOU, he throws them back in your face.

At first I thought it was a nice touch that the game offers players to re-spec their characters, it didn't occur to me that it was MANDATORY to do so to have a chance at beating the game. And several times, at that.

So after a few attempts at beating Medeox, I just gave up on the game as a whole. It has a lot of things going for it, but it also has some things that ruin it. The game's biggest problem is that it's a one-man show. Another guy stepping in on a producer-level could have squashed some of the more moronic game design decisions before release, like how each area must be unlocked and beaten in a specific order. I looked up the rest of the game and saw that I wasn't missing out on much. The "you must control two characters in real-time to beat the final fight" gimmick is another poor game design decision.

A shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom