Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascension renamed to Underworld Ascendant, to be Kickstarted on February 4th

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Cautiously optimistic, because what we have here are two outstanding and in many ways yet-to-be-matched dungeon crawlers, with some of the best dungeon design in the business, and leading the project for this spiritual successor there isn't some random wannabe who promises "I want to capture that essence", but the original lead designer of the old ones.
The original designers are as capable of making horrible abominations, especially those who's been making mobile games for a decade and talking about about drawing in new fans (code-speak for goatse-wide audience) and evolving the experience. Granted, he might present a mind-blowing concept on Feb 4th and we'll all line up to donate, but so far all we know is that yet another old designer who's been making nothing of interest for many years (which isn't necessarily his fault) decided to wipe away dust from an old license and take it to KS.

It may sound harsh but that's literally all we know at this point.

After seeing the prehype website I'm fairly pessimistic. It describes a game that appears more Diablo 3 than Underworld 3.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After seeing the prehype website I'm fairly pessimistic. It describes a game that appears more Diablo 3 than Underworld 3.

I don't see any description at all. Schlocky fantasy concept art shouldn't be taken too seriously

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I would be interested in a genuine rebirth of UU, but 2$ concept graphics? early prototype? new innovations?

They influenced a whole generation of games: Doom, Thief, Deus Ex, Skyrim, BioShock and more.

*chuckles*

I can’t wait to tell you more about what we have planned!

MMO

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would be interested in a genuine rebirth of UU, but 2$ concept graphics? early prototype? new innovations?

*chuckles*

104px-Chuckles.gif.png

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

YES I WAS WRONG
UW HAS TOTALLY INFLUENCED GAMES BIOSHOCK AND SKYRYM
YOU ARE RIGHT THESE GAMES ARE ALSO FIRST PERSON AND EPIC RPG ESPECIALY SKYRIM
BIOSHOCK LESS YOU CANT REALLY HAVE RPG WITH THESE SETTINGS
BUT SO POPULAR, EPIC AND RELAVANT
AND ALWAYS IN OUR HEARTS AND MINDS
/NEWFAG

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Wasn't there an interview with Warren Spector a year or two ago, in which he was all explicitly "Casualisation FTW! I regret not having seen the light earlier!"?
I do like what Paul Neurath's saying in these interviews, though. We'll see how much munnies their pitch will make me throw at them despite the ECB fucking me all over.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
On a related note:

RPS: Speaking of, um, the opposite of doing something different, a lot of industry pioneers are now launching Kickstarters and going back to their roots. As someone who’s fought so hard to push beyond a perceived “box,” what’s your take on that trend?

Spector: I certainly understand it. I look back on the games I’ve worked on and I have very fond memories of Deus Ex and System Shock and Underworld. Those are an important part of my life. Would I revisit them in the sense of, “Hey, let’s put some pretty graphics on an old game”? No.

Well, OK, if someone gave me the opportunity – I guess it would have to be EA – to go back and take some of the ideas behind an Underworld or a System Shock, I’d have to think pretty seriously about that, for sure.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/14/warren-spector-on-life-after-mickey-going-no-weapons/

I think he could be a good advisor.

From the same interview:

One other thing about worlds: I don’t want people to get the wrong impression. I’m probably going to be talking about that quite a bit, actually, for a while now. When people think about worlds, virtual worlds, they think about enormous, fully explorable, Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Skyrim, that stuff. I’ve never done that. I never wanted to do it. Well, that’s not true. Back in the Ultima days, that’s kind of what we did. But around the time of Underworld and System Shock and Deus Ex, I got a lot more interested in really deeply simulated smaller spaces. I’d rather do something that’s an inch wide and a mile deep than something that’s a mile wide and an inch deep. I want to create worlds, but by “worlds” I mean someplace where every object is interactable. The NPCs actually have something to do other than kill you. Every door can be opened and there’s a reason to open them. That’s what I mean by creating world. It’s not about size and scope, it’s about depth and interactivity.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Back in the Ultima days, that’s kind of what we did. But around the time of Underworld and System Shock and Deus Ex, I got a lot more interested in really deeply simulated smaller spaces. I’d rather do something that’s an inch wide and a mile deep than something that’s a mile wide and an inch deep. I want to create worlds, but by “worlds” I mean someplace where every object is interactable. The NPCs actually have something to do other than kill you. Every door can be opened and there’s a reason to open them.
Doesn't that actually pretty much describe the Ultima experience?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Developing in UE4 is supposed to be pretty good ?

Not really my style of RPG though.
UE3 couldn't handle the RotT remake. From everything I've reahd UE4 is just UE3 with bells and whistles. This game will not feature complex level design with unreal engine.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Why not? 3D maps are made externally from the engine itself, in other programs (if that's what you're referring to).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why not? 3D maps are made externally from the engine itself, in other programs (if that's what you're referring to).
Recreating the RotT maps 1:1 in UE3 caused stuttering problems because the engine wasn't designed to handle such complex geometry.

Burning Bridges

Is there a point you are trying to make, beside sounding like a mentally deranged person?

Both. The point was that people who play Skyrim should fuck off and leave their dirty money from UW. It was not meant for people who are so stupid. It won't help though I already see images of an Avatar with retarded shoulderpads and a supersized weapon stuck on his back.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's official... the new Underworld is "connected" to Garriott's SotA world by a portal:
Raise the Underworld
7cc4e2e0-135f-4800-bcdc-8f548f48e967.png

We are pleased to announce that our long-time friend and former Origin protégé, Paul Neurath, is launching a Kickstarter campaign on February 4th to reboot the legendary Ultima Underworld games.

It has been more than a decade long wait, but the stars have aligned and Paul has long last freed the rights to move forward with the franchise, sans only the “Ultima” brand itself. He is joined by some of his Looking Glass colleagues who worked on the original franchise, as well as on System Shock and Thief, in the newly formed company, OtherSide Entertainment. The team has vowed to stay true to the spirit of the original Underworld, while at the same time innovating in all new ways. And they want you to be a part of it.

We're especially excited to reveal that, just as the original Ultima and Underworld shared a connection on backstory and fictional elements, so too will Shroud of the Avatar and Underworld Ascendant. There is a portal between the two worlds, which over the ages travelers have crossed, some bringing with them artifacts and arcane lore.

Our partnership, forged in the bonds of creativity, inspires us to continue the legacy. As backers of Shroud of the Avatar, you know how pivotal you are in the development of the game. No longer is there a wall between the fans and the developers. Through the magic of crowdfunding, we can develop the game and check in with fans along the way. We can get a reality check at each step so we’re truly making the game you, the player want. Not only are we sharing storyline elements with Underworld Ascendant, but we share this philosophy of collaborative development. It is a powerful time in game design, where game creators can connect directly to you, the community.

So as you have shown your allegiance to Shroud of the Avatar, bring forth that same spirit and make your pledge to raise the Underworld on February 4th.

For more information on Underworld Ascendant, follow them on Facebook and Twitter.

Richard Garriott (Ultima, Shroud of the Avatar) – “For those of us lifelong gamers that go back to the early days of the Underworld franchise, created by Paul Neurath, it represented a watershed event on what an immersive 3D true role-playing game could be. Personally I am as excited about Underworld returning as any game I can imagine.”

Chris Roberts (Star Citizen, Wing Commander) – “Underworld was the first truly 3D textured first-person game… it influenced pretty much all first person 3D games that came afterwards.”

“Most modern gamers probably don’t realize how much their favorite games owe to classic first-person RPG Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss, which laid the foundations back in 1992 for games as diverse as Deus Ex, Bioshock and the Elder Scrolls series." – GameWatcher, January 2015

“But to cast the game as a distant godfather of modern gaming is to misunderstand it: Underworld isn’t done. Looking Glass’ first series was ended prematurely - and Paul Neurath intends to finish it.” – PCGamesN, January 2015

“After 20 years of trying –– and finally succeeding –– to acquire the franchise rights from Electronic Arts, Neurath said the decision to fund the project through Kickstarter has a number of appealing possibilities for the team –– artistic independence, creative leeway and transparency for backers”. – IGN, January 2015

At least it's not a shared world... right?

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As long as they have not contracted molyneux disease, that's fine. Even the original Underworld games didn't have much to do with the Ultimas anyways.

mindx2

Patron
As long as they have not contracted molyneux disease, that's fine. Even the original Underworld games didn't have much to do with the Ultimas anyways.

I keep reading people saying this, and I totally agree that the first UU had a tenuous connection to the Ultima world at best, but UUII and it's story fits pretty solidly between U7 and U7 part 2 with LB's castle and it's inhabitants all regular and recurring characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom