Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Update #46: Backer Alpha Releasing Next Month

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; Sam Luangkhot; Underworld Ascendant

We've seen a lot of Underworld Ascendant in recent months - dev diaries, trailers, gameplay footage, and more. But the best is yet to come. OtherSide have spent this month preparing the game for E3, where it'll be showcased next month - and the same build they're showing there will be released to eligible backers as the Backer Alpha during the event. The monthly update released today has the details:

We’re proud to announce that a segment of Underworld Ascendant will be available to play at Alienware’s booth at E3! Catch us anytime on the show floor from June 12 – June 14 and have a sneak peek at the Abyss…

In addition to this, EXPLORER backers and above ($50+) will receive access to the Backer Alpha build during E3 (official date to be finalized). Our current plan is for the Backer Alpha build to include all of the content and features in the E3 build and an updated version of the tutorial level (aka “un-training level”). More information on this will be emailed to EXPLORER backers and above the week before the Backer Alpha is live, so make sure to check your email!

Access to the Backer Alpha will be unlocked on your BackerKit’s Digital Downloads page.
The update contains a few other odds and ends, such as this introduction to the gray lizard man Resherak, keeper of the Memoreum, the magical library that serves as Ascendant's level-up mechanism:

We’ve received a ton of questions about the Memora system and how this ties into the narrative of the Stygian Abyss. What exactly has gone on in this world, and who can you trust?

In our February update, we mentioned how Memora can catalogue information by preserving memories, which has allowed Ishtass and his followers to share knowledge across generations of Lizard Men. As the Abyss has fallen deeper into ruin and becomes threatened by otherworldly forces, you will need to harness the power of the Memora to share what you’ve learned.

Resherak, one of the descendants of Ishtass’s teachings and one of the rare Gray Lizard Men, is the Keeper of the Memoreum in Marcaul. The Lizard Man society is built off of shared knowledge, and Marcaul has become a hub where trade and the exchange of knowledge is highly encouraged. Resherak will reward you for sharing Memora of your traversals into the Abyss, and can allow you to access Memora across time and space to peek into the tactics of previous (and future) adventurers.
And there's this look at Ascendant's ghostly enemies, who like many of the game's creatures interact with the world in a systemic way:

Since last year, we’ve slowly been teasing the monsters you can encounter in Underworld Ascendant. Need a refresher of what’s to come?

Ghosts, like the Eidolon and Lich, are ethereal creatures that can’t be attacked directly. The player must seek out and destroy their Animus (seen above), which won’t go down without a fight. The core of an Animus is extremely valuable and is used in quests where the player needs to alter the environment. Rare cores may even be able to slow the game’s degrading world state.

While an Eidolon is near, recently slain Skeletons can be resurrected to continue their patrol.​

The art direction in those screenshots is starting to get decent. Apparently OtherSide have spent time touching up the game's lighting with the assistance of the Unity engine developers. You can see more of that here, in a collage of screenshots from a late game area called the Cathedral. Hopefully it'll be as impressive when we see it in motion next month. Though before that happens, OtherSide are already promising big news next week. I wonder what that could be.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
maxresdefault.jpg

Chunkyman

Augur
I'm glad to see they're making slow, steady progress on this game and that everything I see is looking good.

I have hopes for this... if it turns to be at least a decent dungeon crawl I will be well served
I've more fears than hopes currently, since all their showing up to this point has been underwhelming at best when not even openly disappointing.
Still, I'm setting my expectations to a reasonable but modest standard and I want to believe, as a former Looking Glass groupie.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I have zero hopes, listening to their round table QAs, its clear they have no fucking idea what to do, especially the passive aggressive fat fuck that wishes he was working on Ubisoft or some shit.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Release 2018!

:troll:

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom