Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:
I only got 2-3 minutes before it crashed. It is set up as an untextured obstacle course, room by room like Portal. I was bumping objects, and highlighting was annoying.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only got 2-3 minutes before it crashed. It is set up as an untextured obstacle course, room by room like Portal. I was bumping objects, and highlighting was annoying.

Can you post the email they sent you (with personal information and the Steam key/download link/whatever removed if you want)?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=925.msg15674#msg15674

Tim Stellmach said:
We're not attached to those effects or anything. Right now we're erring on the side of clarity because we need to settle down into our final art style development before we can really refine how objects read in the scene.

Also, yeah, those crates. The yellow rim-light effect that confirms mouse focus was really designed for objects with a lot more surface curvature. On big planes it either pops like crazy or fades away (since whole faces get the same yellow level based on their facing angle). So, definitely consider that placeholder.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Gamespot: ONLY CRASHED ONCE, 10/10. GOTY!

IGN: ...YELLOW HIGHLIGHTING ON OBJECTS..., 9.5/10 (We wish highlighting was more green)

Infinitron Codex: LOL ZEPO. I THINK SOMEONE IS PLAYING! CODEX RPG OF YEAR!

Zep: Sad, sad, sad.

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
areyoukiddingme.jpg

Guess I'll have to wait for Nekot to show up.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
"Advertising Plant" detected for DawnrazorDCLXVI

Sounds like some Quarter to Three forum tag
Or
Maybe Broken Forum tag
I remember...

Zep--

For everyone that supported UA, check your backer account. Your key should be in there. :)

I am not plant. I have been a member since 2002, in some form or another.

Ash

Arcane

I'm extremely confused. Is this a Looking Glass-styled game, or not? Why would a prototype not be an early version of the first/any level they drop you in to go and explore and experiment, Underworld style? It's been what, a year and a half since Otherside formed, so there should definitely be something substantial done by now.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's not a game at this point, no. It is pretty clearly positioned as a systems test. IMO they are being smart about it, since any sort of gaminess at all would cause the half-wits to freak the fuck out.

I'm extremely confused. Is this a Looking Glass-styled game, or not? Why would a prototype not be an early version of the first/any level they drop you in to go and explore and experiment, Underworld style? It's been what, a year and a half since Otherside formed, so there should definitely be something substantial done by now.

Well, there were no texturing on the walls and ceiling. It looked like Otherside put together an obstacle course. My only complaint was it felt too scripted, with each puzzle having nearby set pieces.

I think the prototype was supposed to be one nook in the abyss, so I am not certain beyond that. So far, it is very linear. I am dubious this resembles the end game.

Ash

Arcane
I wouldn't mind an obstacle course as a nook in the Abyss. I very much enjoy linear gameplay if it is old school-engaging, and as a change of pace it could add some great variety to the Underworld. However, we are simply not seeing or hearing enough about the core Underworld/Looking Glass experience, which is after all why we are here. I am curious as to what their vision for this project truly is, because it currently isn't very clear to me. Remember this is meant to be a successor to Ultima fucking Underworld, truly a fine piece of art & design.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Hmmm, you are not jcd.

Might I suggest another avatar?

20214.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, playing the prototype was pretty fun, but also really really fucking tedious (mainly just walking up stairs, everything else was p.cool).

Please keep in mind that I fucked up some (most) of the image capturing, so I couldn't really get the full screen of what's going on, but I've got some of the more important aspects in there.

So we've got the start of the 'playground', no NDA or anything.
pre_alpha1_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hxi4a.png

I had a screen shot of the girl's arms, since you can see them, but it got fucked up.

I walked around, learned some spells and made the door catch on fire.
pre_alpha3_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hxi48.png

In the room past there, there's a couple rope bridges, which I promptly destroyed.
pre_alpha6_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hxi3h.png

After opening a door using some kind of spell combination, I reached the chasm, or 'the ultimate challenge'
pre_alpha4_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hxi45.png

They have us collecting bunnies :retarded:
pre_alpha5_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hxi3x.png

There's a door in a different room where you have to deal with the bar in the way, which I did and also fucked up the metal chain too =P
pre_alpha7_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hxi39.png

After propelling myself across the chasm (and accidentally setting on fire the wooden platforms which made them fall down into the lava), I finish the playground (and didn't find all the collectibles).
pre_alpha8_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hxi35.png

I had fun, but climbing up the stairs is abysmal.

Hopefully they fix the stair climbing aspect p.soon :negative:

I think he's simply trying (too hard and with an eloquence he cannot into) to tell you that they are going for an aesthetic that is more 'figurative' than 'realistic', a representation relying more on the 'thematic' rather than the 'pragmatic'/'gritty'.

Which makes sense. Less of a budget and with an excuse on top ("but we told you"), more of a freedom to go their way :)

What i find disconcerting is his depiction of naivete as he puts it versus more recent representations. It is the wrong forum to analyse the didactic element of fantasy/fairy tales and how it reinforced conservative notions of false dualities, but i think it's safe to say that what he finds as charming and blissfully naive entails a misconception or two..or a lack of maturity..or both even. Elements i doubt will escape his work. To be seen. Again on the disconcerting is the paradox of his using a very strong example of the above as a case for stepping away from it (even if only aesthetically), only to move on to reinforce the very notion it represents, lol, it being the naivete/charm underlying it...

I know i can't expect tech nerds to be knowledgeable in anything other than their line of work, that would be asking for constant disappointments; But i can expect them not to be retards.

This is something that pisses me off when I read these developer insight types of things, whether indie, kickstarter or AAA. For all the profundity they talk, you'd never know this sort of thought process went into the end product.

Ash

Arcane
Zep is going to have a field day with this. All those stock unity primitives. :D

It makes sense for prototyping purposes, but I was under the impression the prototype was going to be an expansion of what was shown months before with the shadowbeast etc. I guess this is just to be used for pure systems and physics testing perhaps.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I don't recall that messaging. It is good news that the team is focused on systems and mechanics. The less aesthetically pleasing the better, lest the flea brains freak out over shaders FFS.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I finally got all the collectibles. I kinda gamed the one at the bottom of the lava pool. The parachute or w/e spell allows an object to go downward (very slowly) along with manipulating the object with your hands, you can push yourself over towards the bunny in the room down there, it just requires precision.

You've completed the sequence? What's the verdict? Does it feel scripted? Intuitive? clever? innovative?

Casting the float spell on ropes makes them spazz out erratically and hilariously causing very unintended (or intended) chaos.

pre_alpha9_by_nekot_the_brave-d9hy1wa.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom