Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Join us on July 10th at 2pm EST and Celebrate the release and play the new indie game The Magic Circle with the Magic Circle team!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Play less "other people" games, work on your game.

Show us something (besides half assed unity renders and cubes), instead of "talking about ideas".

Who is seriously being fooled by this? Most of you..it seems.

Zep--

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I am not. I wished really hard this would not get funded but now that it got the money you might as well wait and see instead of cursing it everyday like they spat on your mother

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I am not. I wished really hard this would not get funded but now that it got the money you might as well wait and see instead of cursing it everyday like they spat on your mother

WTF? I don't like being raped...but...hey go ahead and rape me, WHATEVER!

Nice logic there, dude.

Zep--

Mustawd

Nice logic there, dude.

Zep--

I hardly see what any of this has to do with you. They are making a game. You did not back it. Ok, so what's the problem here?

Like Darth Roxor said, "You are pathetic".

Divinity: Original Sin

Nice logic there, dude.

Zep--

Well, you can't be raped since you didn't pledge for this...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well, Zep does serve the purpose of bumping this thread. I'm trying to figure out why the rest of you post so much about a game that's more than two years out.

Sonus

Educated
Not much of that is happening, really. It's posting about expectations and forum members and backseat development, and at best it's giving the benefit of the doubt where openness between OSE and the backers are concerned. If the opportunity is real, at all, and there is real investment given, adding something productive and constructive makes sense.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Why hope it wasn't funded? If it turns out to be shit it doesn't diminish the originals.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, will you guys shut up already

There's supposed to be an update today. Hope it doesn't get delayed because of July 4th.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Why hope it wasn't funded? If it turns out to be shit it doesn't diminish the originals.
I'm tired of opportunism/spiritual sequel bullshit

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Here's the update. Another pledge request, another Bard's Tale IV plug, and this: https://www.underworldascendant.com/news/76_update.php

Joe Fielder joined the Underworld Ascendant team a little while back, but he's been so busy he hasn't had time to introduce himself to our fans. We thought this week we would change that.

Not Your Average Joe
H_kUa_Vs9JFrk6rNX003obQDeCxZSHReF-l-CMhxc1rGNelSXSyTsBtxMeopK0woSZ3qRaVH4hsWhkI8KZUKh33vwXvU-wuMurB61HXfFvWLKLvpopELyuz4Ge7BnVmRF-FeAE2oERWTyB7KzjpzzY4FcafriY0GaUZ0nHc=s0-d-e1-ft
Hey, everyone. It's been a few months since I joined on as design director, so I thought I'd say hello, explain what I do around here, and hint obliquely at what's next forUnderworld Ascendant.

My game background is pretty wildly disparate, ranging from level design in first-person shooters in the Medal of Honor series, puzzle design for Stephen Spielberg’s BOOM BLOX, narrative for BioShock Infinite, and more. I’ve also been a producer for art, narrative, and design, a game journalist, and a comic book writer. I’ve worked on enormous AAA games and scrappy indie projects.

The reason I mention this is I’ve found myself drawing on ALL those experiences on a daily basis.

For instance, puzzle design comes to bear, albeit a little abstractly, while considering ways that the player will utilize the Improvisation Engine to find clever ways to interact with the environment and the creatures within it. Narrative and level design play a part in plotting out how we introduce those game play elements and tie them into the overall world in fun, interesting ways. Comic book writing helps me consider what information we might express visually and game writing, how to keep dialogue lean, focused, and out of the way of the action. Game reviewing means always thinking about what players will find compelling and fun. And my time in production means I have some incredibly talented artists and audio designers to draw upon to help ensure the Stygian Abyss looks and sounds amazing.

Another daily occurrence? Being inspired by my co-workers at OtherSide.

Getting to collaborate with a group of former Looking Glass developers has been quite an experience so far. To say I have a professional crush on the folks I work with is an understatement. I mean, they helped create Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, System Shock,Thief 1 & 2 -- games that proved our medium could be more than just shooting and introduced in-depth worlds that begged to be experienced. Without them, there wouldn’t be BioShock, Deus Ex, Minecraft, Skyrim, Dishonored… The list goes on and on.

Grant Morrison once said: “Inspiration gets passed like a baton at a relay race.” It’s a positively romantic take on the collaborative creative process and really sums up what it’s like working at OtherSide. Every person on staff routinely provides thoughts and feedback that gets your gears turning further. We’re always pushing and playing off of each other’s ideas. It makes for an equally challenging and rewarding environment where you’re always learning.

In other words, I've never had so much fun making a game.

Over the last few months, we’ve taken the time to work out the game’s backstory, not only so we know the spine of the overall narrative, but so we understand the underlying philosophies behind each Faction. Knowing their wants and desires helps reveal their points of conflict with each other and how to design how they live, build, dress, create, fight, and utilize magic. It informs us exactly how the story of the Underworld should seep into every stone AND tie into game play systems, so we can create a world full of wonder that's fun to play and fascinating to explore.

At the same time, we’ve been tackling those aforementioned game play systems and fleshing out our bestiary of creatures, so that those elements are equally integrated and pervasive. But that’s a topic for another day, after [redacted] is finished. Suffice to say, we have some fun stuff in store.

We hope you'll enjoy what’s bubbling up in the Stygian Abyss...

wgMd_SEfxhqMTdtX7oXAc28kq83CZy5wieRE5x2KSce0D9HtGWfLQiAFDSZqvdjOcgII9UUKM-H9G4DaJyXQas60BkiFGZCD0_x3g2rsfJMX2WjuZf6O-Zj1e56rFFqvvQB5rN5SQrEJc4JbBipeUY4p61rDTmGaOARnYKg=s0-d-e1-ft
Next Friday, July 10th, at 2pm EST OtherSide will be conducting another twitch play session, this time diving into the wacky and wonderful world of The Magic Circle. Join the fun as Paul, Tim, Chris, Will and Joe play a game about being game designers. Will fantasy match reality? Will their life experiences translate in any way to a world full of actual design dangers? Join us and find out!

Oh, and did we mention that the creative team behind The Magic Circle – including BioShock series’ veterans Jordan Thomas and Stephen Alexander – will be joining us for the Twitch? Well, we just did! And here is a promo video for the whole shebang!

Nothing too interesting, but it looks like something's coming up.

Last edited:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's an interesting game they are playing. Looks like shit, but concept is cool (it's a game which was left by the devs in an unfinished state and now player has to finish it for them, so you actually playing a role of a game developer). I wonder why it reminds me of Grimoire...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Zoidstar

Educated
This is promising but I've watched a few of their videos and they don't seem to saying anything about Arx Fatalis. Which pretty much nailed the whole spiritual successor to UU thing. Would be nice to see it get some kudos.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I've heard the team mention it here and there and certainly many people have mentioned it to them in interviews and on their own forums. They have fielded direct questions regarding Arx but they have been careful with their answers. To paraphrase, ~Arx brought some interesting twists, etc. We are anxious to bring new ideas that have been percolating for 20 years.~

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
OtherSide devs talk about the unmet stretch goal: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=782.0

Chris Siegel said:
It's the calm. We have to have something concrete before we go and market again. Screenshots and concept art isn't enough.

Jeff Kesselman said:
As Chris says, we have our heads down in dev hard at work. You guys have legitimately raised the issue that in the earlier periods we talked a lot about our plans but didn't have a lot to show. We really want our next big "reveal" to wow you guys.

Its tough... there are some things Chris has dropped hints on that I'd love to talk about... like what is a meta-ball and why does it matter... but we don't want to just tell you. We want to really *show* you.

Darkzone

Arcane
OtherSide devs talk about the unmet stretch goal: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=782.0

Chris Siegel said:
It's the calm. We have to have something concrete before we go and market again. Screenshots and concept art isn't enough.

Jeff Kesselman said:
As Chris says, we have our heads down in dev hard at work. You guys have legitimately raised the issue that in the earlier periods we talked a lot about our plans but didn't have a lot to show. We really want our next big "reveal" to wow you guys.
Its tough... there are some things Chris has dropped hints on that I'd love to talk about... like what is a meta-ball and why does it matter... but we don't want to just tell you. We want to really *show* you.
I hope they provide something or even better something good, because:
i-want-to-9s79n9.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom