Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Where did the Abyss get all its wood from?

...[section removed]

The only trees I ever saw in the Stygian Abyss were trying to kill me. They can't be the sole source of wood in the entire Abyss...can they? And where do THEY come from?

The tree were plentiful and weren't hostile in the beginning. I wonder what happened to change that. There wasn't a whole lot of wood in Underworld 1 was there? There were wooden doors, furniture?, poles, winches, and some ranged weapons.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The tree were plentiful and weren't hostile in the beginning. I wonder what happened to change that. There wasn't a whole lot of wood in Underworld 1 was there? There were wooden doors, furniture?, poles, winches, and some ranged weapons.

Also bridges and walkways. Ammo for the ranged weapons, arrows and bolts. But most importantly of all: TORCHES.

Darkzone

Arcane
Fungi that create cellulose. Not like plants with the energy from the sunlight, but due to decomposing dead animals and minerals, or perhaps the heat energy from lava or aircurrents. ;)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I've been giving this some further thought, and while I can piece together a setting that creates a reliable source of wood, the fact that the Stygian Abyss shows no evidence of this is kinda jarring.

To create a supply of wood you need trees, soil, space for the trees to grow in and plenty of sunlight. That would require an arboretum of some sort, and an artificial source of light to sustain it. Magic can be used to provide a light source, but then they'd only have to wait a decade or two for it all to grow.

Arx Fatalis has a similar ecology, and bio-luminent fungi are a part of it, which helps somewhat. But Arx also has surface-based trade routes, so trading with wood is a possibility. A slim one, considered Arx is an ice planet, but a possibility nonetheless.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The sheer experience of exploring the Abyss is probably reason enough for most adventurers getting wood.
:troll:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
There is very little furniture in UU, perhaps the inhabitants have been using it all this time since the collapse. Bridges, walkaways, doors could all be built before the collapse. In fact UU has less doors than there should logically be, which would indicate that all the non-essential doors had been recycled.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
There is very little furniture in UU, perhaps the inhabitants have been using it all this time since the collapse. Bridges, walkaways, doors could all be built before the collapse. In fact UU has less doors than there should logically be, which would indicate that all the non-essential doors had been recycled.

A good point that I had considered, but there would still come a time when some of that wood would have to be replaced, like for the bridges and doors.

But the two biggest consumers of wood are still torches and arrows. Since arrows are the less needed of the two, (cross)bows would simply become luxury weapons or for show, while slings would become the ranged weapon of choice in the Abyss, which is partially reflected in the Goblins using them.

The biggest problem would then be the torches. An easily-replacable, plentiful and combustible material would be needed to replace just the wooden aspect of the torch. This could be an interesting exercise in survival skills.

It also goes a long LONG way towards explaining why the Abyss is dark as crap.

Azazel

Arbiter
It's excessive grognardism such as this which makes games shitty. I don't sit around wondering why the fire ants haven't burnt down the forest in TOME, I just kill them and have fun doing it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Didn't you hear? It's not enough for games to have fascinating systems to play with. They also have to be a photorealistic duplication of real life.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Well, Otherside keeps going on about the ecology of their game, so it makes sense to apply that train of thought to their previous work, if only for a laugh.

But no, the song must remain the same. This is the Codex, everything is shit.

Gord

Arcane
Obviously the reapers were a peaceful and noble race of tree-people that once inhabitated a whole level of the abyss. Only when the abyss was sealed and the other races ran out of wood did they consider alternative means of acquiring it...
Also explains why the reapers are in such a bad mood.

It's the dark secret of the place no one ever talks about.

Seriously though, the place has huge underground rivers that are likely fed by rain from the outside. That will carry driftwood with it, as well.
Kind of like in Iceland after the vikings had cut down the forests:
http://epod.usra.edu/blog/2012/05/driftwood-in-iceland.html

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1217866

Preproduction in Unity 5.0
After the Kickstarter we spent a couple of weeks putting Unity 5.0 through its paces. Partly to see what was new, what was updated and what looked better. Most importantly though, to discover if Unity will do what we need it to. Underworld Ascendant will be a very systems heavy game. Our design philosophy is about building a game with real world systems under the hood to bring common sense expectations to the player. The goal is to give players new and interesting ways to interact with our world, and the engine we use to make this game needs to support all of this.

Here’s a little video of me walking through the demo level we built in Unity 5.0:

First, let’s talk about the textures. Textures? Isn’t that a bit mundane? I’ve been in the industry for about 15 years now and started with 256 color pixelated awesome bitmaps.

54efc2f490a80b7edf4e4a869f72ab75_original.jpg

A bunch of textures from Doom
They still look pretty awesome.

Now, these new PBR or Physically Based Rendering Textures…wow. This technology is a game changer. When I used to be a level designer if I wanted to do panels on top of a wall, it was a pain. Extra geometry, decals all sorts of way around it. Now, I just put this texture down and adjust some settings for depth, reflection and some other stuff. Doesn’t look like a flat surface does it?

7ee22a96f85efec158e3231dc64cbc20_original.png

Actual textures used in our Unity 5.0 Underworld Ascendant demo

So what is going on here? Well I’ll quote Jeff Russell: “Much of what makes a physically-based shading system different from its predecessors is a more detailed reasoning about the behavior of light and surfaces. Shading capabilities have advanced enough that some of the old approximations can now be safely discarded, and with them some of the old means of producing art.” So think of this a more scientific way of dealing with surfaces in 3d art. A marriage of Artist and Engineer.

If you want to read more I suggest you real Jeff’s basic article on the subject here:http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory

As an Indy team that cannot afford a 100 person art team, this technology if used correctly will allow us to have a look that can compete with AAA titles. Every time I personally mess with this I see 100 new possibilities.

While I was drooling over the new texture technology, Tim continued his experimentation with physics traps. Pendulums, spinney gear and spring traps, evil saw blade traps, a swinging door, some moving beams traps, shooting object traps, wall spikes. Jeff then added a simple damage model, and Will placed them in the world for us to play around with.

What was stunning from a producer’s point of view is how quickly these were generated, and populated. No time spent on connecting scripting for each trap, dealing with triggers, setting up rigid controls. Self-contained physical traps that react to other physics. Impressive. And really the core of that system is now done. Now the designers can expand out from that basic model and move on to more interesting interactions with the traps and physical world, and building a better deathtrap…I think I’ll apologize to you ahead of time.

Another piece of physics that Will messed around with was ropes. Part of what we want in our game is motion. Lots of motion. Part parkour, part Indiana Jones. So, rope swinging, platforms hanging by ropes and chains, rope bridges. All swing, all can be interacted with, and of course, set on fire.

There is a development rule I’ll share with you. Everything is better on fire. Hence why Jeff spent some time researching fire.

Lastly, we played around a little with Unity 5.0’s flagship feature: lighting. There are two strong parts to Unity 5.0s lighting features, but we really only looked into one at this time. Unity 5.0s Global Lighting model, which in a nutshell has light reflect off a surface but it then picks up some of the properties of that surface, wasn’t something we could dive into at this juncture, but it’s really cool so I want to tell you about it. Think of when you are wearing a bright red shirt and walk near a white wall. You would notice some of the red reflected from your shirt to the wall. Unity can do this naturally now, but that kind of reflection in real time is going to take some serious research by the artists to make look good and not gimmicky or frankly a jumbled mess.

What we did focus on is Real Time lighting. The whole test level that you saw in the video is lit by lights in the world, torches, braziers exc. No baked in lighting model, no hidden light sources. I’m very happy to see that textured lighting is back in Unity. I spent my whole level creating Quake 2 days using nothing but texture lights. I’m glad they are back as a serious feature. For example a torch as a light source will look roughly orange and red with some white. If you tell that texture to be a light it will have all those color properties. For our purposes in the Underworld this will really help the ‘underground’ feel of the game.

So far what we have played with in Unity 5.0 is very promising. The engine is leaps and bounds ahead of 4.6. There are a few things I’d like to behave better, but they are not mission critical systems more like nice to have things. Between development preproduction and working out the backstory and fiction, everything is humming along very nicely!

That’s all for now.

Producer Chris

Our new poll on character classes has been up for only a week, but we are already starting to see some trends in the numbers. For one thing, it seems most people prefer to play a Thief type character, with Wizards and Multi-Class characters coming in a fairly close second. Does this align with how you plan to design your first Underworld Ascendant character? Head over to the forums and let us know!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
In Summary for the Codex.

Unity 5 is AWESOME
Look at this prebuilt/precoded shit we discovered
Give us more MONIES!

Zep--

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm hoping "Physics!" won't be the main focus of Underworld Ascendant, but this latest update makes me think too much of Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

While that is something that is sorely lacking and can find an audience, it misses the "core" audience of everyone who played the UUW games back in the day.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Physics systems and traps definitely have their place in Underworld and I doubt it will be the forefront of the game's design, but then again it is also meant to be an RPG but they seem to be straying away from that to some degree, we'll see.

Anyone seen this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playtonic/yooka-laylee-a-3d-platformer-rare-vival

New Kickstarter. A revival of Rare (Donkey Kong Country, Goldeneye) as a free dev, no longer a corporate slave (at least when taken a face value).
Absolutely blowing away the Kickstarters that have come before in terms of funding, it seems...except maybe Star Citizen.
It is the biggest injustice in the gaming world in recent years that Underworld barely made funding. Sure LG were somewhat niche but...sigh.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yooka-Laylee?

A game named after the Hawaiian instrument?

Already at almost 10 times the asked amount with 44 days to go?

What is this world coming to?

Have people really lost their minds?

How many more sentences can I make here that end in a question mark?

It is the biggest injustice in the gaming world in recent years that Underworld barely made funding. Sure LG were somewhat niche but...sigh.

Games from before the late 90's are generally not well remembered by general public unless they were the titles literally everyone played (like Contra or Mario) or had sequel. Ultima series was effectively dead by the 1995, while Banjo Kazoie was released in 1998. It's not LGS itself, they would get much more money if they were trying to make a sequel to Thief instead of UU.

Divinity: Original Sin
Games from before the late 90's are generally not well remembered by general public unless they were the titles literally everyone played (like Contra or Mario) or had sequel. Ultima series was effectively dead by the 1995, while Banjo Kazoie was released in 1998. It's not LGS itself, they would get much more money if they were trying to make a sequel to Thief instead of UU.

Well, any attempt of getting a thief sequel kickstarted by otherside after the thiaf fiasco would actually fail, since thief is also not remembered by the general public and eidos montreal already tainted that memory. If there was no thiaf, then I believe things could be different. Also, one of the appeals of kickstarter is the re-release of old forgotten brands.
UU > Thief :M

Nope. I love both, also love System shock 1 and 2. Thief>SS>UU.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Vanilla DX1 is equal to SS2, both of which are top...I'm uncertain there tbh. There's obviously some bias. DX1 vanilla was ridiculously flawed, but so damn good despite the fact.
The reason I'm not much a Thief fan is I really like the gameplay depth, simulated interactivity, RPG systems etc of the others. Thief is ultimately a stealth game, a great one, but it doesn't have all that to the scale of the others, even UU.

Well, any attempt of getting a thief sequel kickstarted by otherside after the thiaf fiasco would actually fail, since thief is also not remembered by the general public and eidos montreal already tainted that memory. If there was no thiaf, then I believe things could be different. Also, one of the appeals of kickstarter is the re-release of old forgotten brands.

The appeal is to make sequels to dead but well remembered franchises. Baldur's Gate gets a modern re-release, Banjo Kazoie is played at all this autistic speedrunning meetings, not to mention by Jontron. On the other hand retards from Something Awful don't even know what the fuck UU is.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, these SA retards are not the target of kickstarters. And these guys also don't know what the fuck thief is anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom