Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Yes, but it was NOT Richard "LB" Garriott whom gave them the permission to set the game in the same stygian abyss, it was eletronic arts, the actual owner of Ultima rights.

You are picking at details which have no relevance to my point. Lastly, Garriott DID give them permission to use his original Ultima material, with his blessing, as they've reiterated on the Otherside Underworld forums dozens of times. Stop cherry picking.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I am sure they got his blessing and all but to be clear , RG does not own the rights to Grant them.

Divinity: Original Sin
I am sure they got his blessing and all but to be clear , RG does not own the rights to Grant them.

And that is relevant to the fact they are reiterating UU1 material, how!?

Or are you just diverting the topic from my initial point--that they are still referencing the older games.

Well, they are. Since the beginning. Even SOTA is referencing Ultimas. That was the whole selling point of these games...

But it's funny how Otherside seems to consider only UU1, which wasn't so much of an ultima game: It aways felt like the ultima connection was fit in the middle of the game development. Unlike UU2, that is a direct sequel to ultima 7 part 1, set in britain and has ultima main series characters in it. UU has no ultima main series characters beyond the avatar, and baron almric is never mentioned in previous ultimas nor sequels. Also, the only ultima locations mentioned in UU1 are the stygian abyss and destard (and britannia, of course).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
But it's funny how Otherside seems to consider only UU1, which wasn't so much of an ultima game: It aways felt like the ultima connection was fit in the middle of the game development.

It wasn't fit in in the middle of development as Underworld had 'only' been in development for roughly a year before Origin became involved, but the Ultima connection was not there from the start.

Unlike UU2, that is a direct sequel to ultima 7 part 1, set in britain and has ultima main series characters in it. UU has no ultima main series characters beyond the avatar, and baron almric is never mentioned in previous ultimas nor sequels. Also, the only ultima locations mentioned in UU1 are the stygian abyss and destard (and britannia, of course).

I'm pretty certain that the UU1 manual mentioned a few more places, but since that's only part of the fluff and not technically in the game...

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Or are you just diverting the topic from my initial point--that they are still referencing the older games.

You were quite specific in attributing permission to use lore and locations to Garriott which I think you have now learned is not the case. I thought my choice of words allowed understanding of your meaning while repeating what was said by others in correcting your assertion. Have a little grace and accept it, friend.

But it's funny how Otherside seems to consider only UU1, which wasn't so much of an ultima game: It aways felt like the ultima connection was fit in the middle of the game development.

It wasn't fit in in the middle of development as Underworld had 'only' been in development for roughly a year before Origin became involved, but the Ultima connection was not there from the start.

Unlike UU2, that is a direct sequel to ultima 7 part 1, set in britain and has ultima main series characters in it. UU has no ultima main series characters beyond the avatar, and baron almric is never mentioned in previous ultimas nor sequels. Also, the only ultima locations mentioned in UU1 are the stygian abyss and destard (and britannia, of course).

I'm pretty certain that the UU1 manual mentioned a few more places, but since that's only part of the fluff and not technically in the game...

By middle, i meant just that - as not being concepted as an ultima game in the first place.

And the manual followed the style of origin ultima manuals, which had the lore, bestiary info, etc, thus its supposed to have been made in the end, when the game was already set as part of the ultima series.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1180424

Last week we promised that the backer survey would go out this week. Well, that didn't happen. Delays in importing and organizing the data, as well as the usual bugs, has caused our timeline for the survey to be pushed back a bit. Right now we plan on getting the survey to you by next week.

We are truly sorry for the delay. We know folks are eager to allocate their pledge money, hoping to upgrade their pledge tier or even snag some add-ons they've had their eyes on. We want this to happen too! A few more days and we'll all get what we want, we promise.

Meet the New Lizardman!
9578c3e20f7e8941e73dc8b79d628b01_original.jpg

Our redo of the Lizardman Look vote has come to a close. With a clear margin of victory over it's rival, Lizardman Concept B walks (creeps? skulks?) away the victor! This is now the look we will use as the basis for lizardman modeling going forward. We can't wait to meet them in-game! Hopefully on friendly terms...

We had LOTS of participation in this vote, which was fantastic to see. Stay tuned on our forumsfor more community-sourced design decisions soon!

Aenra

there is this typical trend in the American culture to indirectly equate democracy with idiocy.
not quite the same, though always possible i suppose. Though said oversimplifying does help to explain modern history (among other things) a touch better :)

back on topic, a sad outcome. Argonians with a straight back? It's an mmo, the audience is..different..
But in this game, i need to start getting worried. If the kind of people that chose so for lizards are then allowed to vote for more important matters, i foresee major future butthurt

sser

Arcane
Developer
Whaaaaat. The first lizard bro is way superior. The second one just looks like Dick Cheney with his costume taken off.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have fought for Concept A, but ... to please the mass is more important then to make an awesome lizard bro. Democracy is a failure, if the voting mass lack the proper education. Excuse me i'm just sad about this outcome.

You were quite specific in attributing permission to use lore and locations to Garriott which I think you have now learned is not the case. I thought my choice of words allowed understanding of your meaning while repeating what was said by others in correcting your assertion. Have a little grace and accept it, friend.

It was pretty firmly stated they will be referencing characters from UU1 on the forum, multiple times. Ultima lore aside, copyright laws aside, they received Garriott's blessing, and have firmly stated that is the case. We are arguing apples and oranges, my friend. Check the forums.

Certain characters are set to "re-appear."

As well as references to the first game, easter eggs, I assume?

It was pretty firmly stated they will be referencing characters from UU1 on the forum, multiple times. Ultima lore aside, copyright laws aside, they received Garriott's blessing, and have firmly stated that is the case. We are arguing apples and oranges, my friend. Check the forums.

Certain characters are set to "re-appear."

As well as references to the first game, easter eggs, I assume?

Well, if the point is the blessing, I believe that lord british gave them more than that... Lord british gave them "permission" to use shroud of the avatar lore, which links garriott directly to this project, in a way that many seem him like a man with more decision powers inside this project.

Darkzone

Arcane
Well, if the point is the blessing, I believe that lord british gave them more than that... Lord british gave them "permission" to use shroud of the avatar lore, which links garriott directly to this project, in a way that many seem him like a man with more decision powers inside this project.
Yes that is and was my fear from the beginning.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
inb4 you stumble upon a random npc in-game who says 'Hail, friend! 'hast thou tried Shroud of the Avatar? Follow this link to purchase from Steam!'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom