Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Mustawd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_(journalism)#Using_confidential_information

Off-the-record material is often valuable and reporters may be eager to use it, so sources wishing to ensure the confidentiality of certain information are generally advised to discuss the "terms of use" before actually disclosing the information, if possible. Some journalists and news organizations have policies against accepting information "off the record" because they believe it interferes with their ability to report truthfully, or because they suspect it may be intended to mislead them or the public.

Even if they cannot report certain information directly, journalists can use "off the record" information to uncover related facts, or to find other sources thatare willing to speak on the record. This is especially useful in investigative journalism. Information about a surprise event or breaking news, whether on or off the record, is known as a "tip-off". Information that leads to the uncovering of more interesting information is called a "lead".

Update: Chris was unable to sync the audio from our phone call with the video, so we are posting up a rough copy. I am no audio editor, and I am sorry, there is static near the beginning, and a bit of an echo. It only lasts for about 11 seconds on the static, the video call is pretty detailed, though I was forbidden from asking questions regarding magic or the narrative, for various reasons.

Also, when I asked how long the game is going to be, I meant straight through the game, no sidequests.

https://soundcloud.com/underworldaudio/11-nov-2015-interview-with-chris-siegel

Edit: Chris is open to doing a second interview. If any of you are interested, want to submit a quick question or two?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have one, though it's dependant upon whether Chris is the right man to ask this question, and whether it hasn't been answered before and I've just missed it (as I don't frequent the Otherside forums).

The question is: Now that Otherside has the Ultima Underworld source code, do they plan to do anything with it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tomorrow!

-nyFScRhLb5kGTvkW6pyMhco59mQW8LEA1H-UXn7UXZSsMk3vAnvtvn9JGlB7VDLMtCRqroUVBP9i3QVIWqP6TlzGj9lSF6tP_zzDXaIYIU9zQE3GhfrutSe0THuZefW2_-eIthK2rC9cIN3l9U_la3i_ASeCWBORk_JxmY=s0-d-e1-ft
Issue #15, November 23rd 2015

OUR FIRST DUNGEON PLAYGROUND!
In the last Newsletter we talked about physics-based world for Underworld Ascendant. Now we’re ready to show what this means with an early peek…

Tomorrow we’re releasing the very first build to Backers at the Lore Seeker and higher pledge tiers, who get as one of their perks early access to play these first prototypes. In a few weeks we will roll this build out more broadly to Backers at the lower pledge tiers. Details will be emailed out directly to Backers on how to download the build.

The Playground prototype is all about physics-based puzzles set in a corner of the Stygian Abyss. The visuals have been intentionally dumbed down, since we’re avoiding trying to set any sort of visual bar with this prototype, and instead want to focus on just the gameplay aspects. So be forewarned, it looks as plain as vanilla can ;)

The fun is in the physics puzzles, where we challenge you to solve tricky bits using an early pass of the Improvisation Engine. Even at this early stage, there are dozens of ways to solve challenges, some which I’m sure our team has not yet discovered. Will you? The prototype also features a first pass on the magic system, which likewise feeds into the open-ended nature of solving challenges.

WELCOME TO THE OTHERSIDE NATE WELLS!

YNYn5jes16thxxJ2mboqt1fvaQ8cKCdQGXKUZdTRWb8Yqr04XkDBdThZ7kHJOIpz6Epxcp9RDzw8YhpD1TA-lOFSU0tvZDYPVxFckM9E5iST795U7UkGMPSJMTTvrJxi_sUKVwmVK5hxneWw7FE_haQcyQKsQh4bgLteFrY=s0-d-e1-ft

Big Daddy from Irrational’s Bioshock
Image Credit: Take Two Interactive

Nate has join the OtherSide team as our Studio Art Director. Nate has been the Art Director on some pretty impressive titles, like Irrational’s Bioshock & Bioshock Infinite, Naughty Dog’s Last of Us and most recently the new Rise of the Tomb Raider. Nate got his start back at LookingGlass as a level designer and artist on Thief& System Shock 2. We are thrilled to have another one from the LookingGlass fold!

xUFS14TC-fZiplHOSgP7TGi3fxAHYUiXVqN6i2PfvidnETYz5NJ2j77FwYFFI8NPEdEg6pF3nK3-uYmX4oWkrC1YgUkL3ITZwwfeIssAwwiZJuJ2AtDxV2ZX7j3Og-sxLkhj5M52SfPMDerYjlTFb-w9yhRNYWcVJR3RHHo=s0-d-e1-ft

Image Credit: Sony Computer Entertainment

Some words from Nate himself on his thoughts about Underworld Ascendant:

“The artistic vision for Underworld Ascendant is born out of my feelings about the state of fantasy in the world. Not just in games but in film, television and books. Recently fantasy has crossed over into the mainstream with Game of Thrones and the Tolkien movies. One of the things that I really feel is fantasy used to be fun, and now it is gritty, brooding and loaded with political allegory. For me I just have the amazing memories of pen and paper gaming back in the early 80’s and how much fun it was and what a sense of humor it had about itself and I feel that fantasy has lost its self-awareness and its sense of humor. That was my jumping off point for the art direction for Underworld Ascendant.

So I went back and dug out my dusty old Dungeon and Dragons books from my parent’s home and started thumbing through them. I asked myself what was it that I loved so much about that era in fantasy? What I found really was there was a sense of levity, and this naiveté to the art, because a lot of that early art was not done by professionals it was done by game designers that could ‘kinda’ draw. So when you go back to those early 1st edition books you think ‘wow I can’t believe that this piece of art actually made it into a book’. These days we have these amazing professional artists and they choose to use their skills to do fantasy and science fiction which is fantastic, but everyone is getting so deadly serious about it. They want all their fantasy to look…real and feel real. My feeling is most games in the fantasy realm lately have caught this reality bug also. It seems that most groups are about trying to bring fantasy to absolute realism with real trees, and real grass and time of day and all that stuff. I think chasing photo-realism in fantasy isn’t the answer. I think to recapture a retro sense of fantasy, fantasy the way our inner child remembers it. We didn’t have Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings telling us what a castle looked like or what a giant two-headed zombie looked and acted like.

So for Ascendant, what if the world bore the Authorship of a tabletop game? Think of the old lead figures, the miniature play fields and what if Ascendant used that philosophy of everything being hand crafted and looking hand crafted? Natural, man-made…all of it. All of it looks like it was sculpted by an artist. That and bringing back some of the levity to the fantasy. We don’t have to be so deadly serious and bleak. A little more whimsy, and a little less brooding. “

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Enough for Zepo and co to discount it, that's for sure.

Is there anybody here who actually pledged enough to get this tomorrow?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Enough for Zepo and co to discount it, that's for sure.

Is there anybody here who actually pledged enough to get this tomorrow?
I did, I'll go post some screenshots or something of it when I can boot it up.

Fantastic. What I really care about though is the email they'll send you, which might have information on the prototype I'll want for the Codex newspost.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Nate Wells said:
These days we have these amazing professional artists and they choose to use their skills to do fantasy and science fiction which is fantastic, but everyone is getting so deadly serious about it. They want all their fantasy to look…real and feel real. My feeling is most games in the fantasy realm lately have caught this reality bug also. It seems that most groups are about trying to bring fantasy to absolute realism with real trees, and real grass and time of day and all that stuff. I think chasing photo-realism in fantasy isn’t the answer.
I found this part rather confusing, because I think there's a glut of over-designed and impractical armors with spikes and WoW-style shoulder pads. I'm certainly hoping for a healthy dose of realism in a physics-based game.

Aenra

I think he's simply trying (too hard and with an eloquence he cannot into) to tell you that they are going for an aesthetic that is more 'figurative' than 'realistic', a representation relying more on the 'thematic' rather than the 'pragmatic'/'gritty'.

Which makes sense. Less of a budget and with an excuse on top ("but we told you"), more of a freedom to go their way :)

What i find disconcerting is his depiction of naivete as he puts it versus more recent representations. It is the wrong forum to analyse the didactic element of fantasy/fairy tales and how it reinforced conservative notions of false dualities, but i think it's safe to say that what he finds as charming and blissfully naive entails a misconception or two..or a lack of maturity..or both even. Elements i doubt will escape his work. To be seen. Again on the disconcerting is the paradox of his using a very strong example of the above as a case for stepping away from it (even if only aesthetically), only to move on to reinforce the very notion it represents, lol, it being the naivete/charm underlying it...

I know i can't expect tech nerds to be knowledgeable in anything other than their line of work, that would be asking for constant disappointments; But i can expect them not to be retards.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I'm on board for some whimsy and artistic style if they cal pull it off. The guy clearly has chops.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nate is correct. Excessive focus on photorealism, and the ever-present mud filter have made games visually dull. It can be done well, but it is good to see a game whose designers think consciously about their aesthetics. The grim and gritty style has been pushed too far, and it may be the time to see some games again which are colourful, adventurous and fantastic.

And of course, if he is wondering about his AD&D books, I hope he ends up rediscovering the maestro that is Erol Otus. :D

tumblr_n5lq7gJu6J1serg9co1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n3zc69U4Ze1r2s3h9o1_500.jpg

tumblr_np7vu37LNw1qb0ugao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mrwx4044bL1sqf5tdo5_1280.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
According to Dawnrazor's interview, early editions of D&D are a large inspiration for this game in general. Not in terms of rules but in terms of content - magic, monsters, traps, etc. And now apparently visuals, too.

Darkzone

Arcane
I think he's simply trying (too hard and with an eloquence he cannot into) to tell you that they are going for an aesthetic that is more 'figurative' than 'realistic', a representation relying more on the 'thematic' rather than the 'pragmatic'/'gritty'.
Which makes sense. Less of a budget and with an excuse on top ("but we told you"), more of a freedom to go their way :)
What i find disconcerting is his depiction of naivete as he puts it versus more recent representations. It is the wrong forum to analyse the didactic element of fantasy/fairy tales and how it reinforced conservative notions of false dualities, but i think it's safe to say that what he finds as charming and blissfully naive entails a misconception or two..or a lack of maturity..or both even. Elements i doubt will escape his work. To be seen. Again on the disconcerting is the paradox of his using a very strong example of the above as a case for stepping away from it (even if only aesthetically), only to move on to
reinforce the very notion it represents, lol, it being the naivete/charm underlying it...
I know i can't expect tech nerds to be knowledgeable in anything other than their line of work, that would be asking for constant disappointments; But i can expect them not to be retards.
While i agree mostly with your thought about this, i have to point out that you have a quite unusual way of organising them. This makes it a bit of hard to preprocess them and to forecast of what you want to say. And this makes the creation of the loop for creating the context a bit of hard. It can be simply that i'm not used to such a thought expression process, but if you would organise your expression in a simpler way before puting them to "paper" that would be very helpful and then i didn't have to read your post twice to understand them. Naturally it seems that we have both a unusual way of organising our thoughts, because people complain also about the fact that it is difficult to understand my posts, but it proves that this is not necessary the elaborated language that makes it difficult, because 4too uses restricted code and still the same applies to him. Perhaps if i read more of your posts i will get more used to your "way" of expression and with this training i will need only one read through for your posts.

Levity? The underworld is supposed to be grimdark and necro.
Not necessary, i think their vision now is more refreshing and vital than the grimdark and necro look. If you look at the "dark zones" of the earth, like the Mesopelagic, Bathypelagic and Abyssopelagic Zones of the Oceans and very old caves you will see that the bioluminescent creatures have a high diversity in this areas. Necros would play a great role if there would be enough creatures transcending the life to this area, for an after life. Our perception that the underworld is a necrophiliac world comes for the believe that people with their death transcend to this area. This are thoughts from many different mythologies and religions. Our "western" perception travels from the greek mythology of to the christian religion (here insert Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy, where Dante travels with Virgil through the seven hells to save Beatrice). But this thought were never part of the modern fantasy of the Underworld, in which the world was simply under the sun light world. In the Underworld of the D&D and subsequent derived fantasy worlds, you will find like in nature simply a different world with different live forms. The afterlife of this fantasy worlds is simply in different dimensions (parallel worlds / universes).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom