Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:
With Paul Neurath and Tim Stellmach at the helm, I don't think I can possibly have anything to add.

But now that you mention it...

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Chronicles of Riddick was pretty cool as a stealth game, dishonored also worked quite well, but yeah thief 2 is probably the best.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Didn't Styx Master of Shadows have a stealth system a lot of the people here, who played it, liked?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Was it first person tho? I imagine it's easier to implement a stealth system in third person, due to situational awareness.
Yea you're right, it is. I never played it, was just spit-balling.

I haven't played many first person games, especially those with stealth.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well Styx has the things you expect, lighting + noise detection, carrying bodies, climbing, using special abilities. On the max difficulty you also can't really engage in direct combat.

But what breaks it is that the AI is oblivious as fuck. Now, stealth game AI was never anything impressive but they compensate with great atmosphere and level design, which Styx lacks.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Well Styx has the things you expect, lighting + noise detection, carrying bodies, climbing, using special abilities. On the max difficulty you also can't really engage in direct combat.

But what breaks it is that the AI is oblivious as fuck. Now, stealth game AI was never anything impressive but they compensate with great atmosphere and level design, which Styx lacks.
Did the noise detection work both ways, i.e. you could get an idea of where noises came from with a visual indicator? I think that something like Silent Storm's indicators for noise could work in a FP game too.

destruction.jpg

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If their sound tech is even moderately competent, there'll be no need for visual indications of sound the player hears. Your stereo speakers (or better yet, headphones) should be quite sufficient to let you know which direction a sound came from in a first-person game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Did the noise detection work both ways, i.e. you could get an idea of where noises came from with a visual indicator? I think that something like Silent Storm's indicators for noise could work in a FP game too.

destruction.jpg
Damn missed the alert for this for some reason.

But no, not that remember. It's a 3rd person game so noise your enemies cause wasn't as important since you can peek around with camera without exposing yourself.

Darkzone

Arcane
There are people who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Then you make a threshold for hearing or seeing. With a divider by the range for the generated sounds, that lets you only spot them if the range is low enough and the generated sound is loud enough. And you could by unity raycast go even around corners. This threshold could be individually an int value of the peon.

If their sound tech is even moderately competent, there'll be no need for visual indications of sound the player hears. Your stereo speakers (or better yet, headphones) should be quite sufficient to let you know which direction a sound came from in a first-person game.

If you are making an action game. No different than requiring high manual dexterity and reflexes to engage in combat. By RP standards, you shouldn't need to rely on your own physiologic skills to measure in-game/in-character sensory data. Role-playing requires that the character's perception of environment should be communicated to the player in a clear manner.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The OtherSiders were at PAX East, which is in their hometown:

The gameplay video and new prototype with actual graphics are supposed to come out today, I think.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You can see something that looks like a first person view holding a sword on the monitor there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Not yet, but soon:

-nyFScRhLb5kGTvkW6pyMhco59mQW8LEA1H-UXn7UXZSsMk3vAnvtvn9JGlB7VDLMtCRqroUVBP9i3QVIWqP6TlzGj9lSF6tP_zzDXaIYIU9zQE3GhfrutSe0THuZefW2_-eIthK2rC9cIN3l9U_la3i_ASeCWBORk_JxmY=s0-d-e1-ft
Issue #23, April 25th, 2016

COMING SOON: UNDERWORLD ASCENDANT'S PRE-ALPHA PROTOTYPE

It’s true. You learn much going back and refining what you have already done. Over the past several weeks, we’ve been working hard to bring the Improvisation Engine’s player-driven gameplay into a level crafted in game’s new “Authored Look.”
mfjKqoZWTQjrwgpQ6rmVzryEwhqiyKkkEIMubrtbNQuZfeTgSva2H2J-x8chgeFP-1MnYEw2hwVQ7HukeyiENTIVSRBQZtFKylSCuLX5r7I-1qk9PPOJ5u1M_zn6VKIKW7cQK2KFSewyEFu6sN0Z2HvJQ59j6WZxsjTMhSw=s0-d-e1-ft

An early peek at first-person combat in Underworld Ascendant.

Our current “Pre-Alpha Prototype” also includes:
  • Both spells and swordplay are available.
  • Objects in the world are reacting to fire, air, earth, and plant spells, allowing for fun experimentation.
  • New collectables, loot, and runes are hidden throughout the map, often in randomized places. (Some are deviously hard to get to, but we have faith in your abilities.)
Since last month’s screenshots showing of the game’s new “Authored Look,” we’ve made the space a bit darker and moodier and also added areas that are reminiscent of a classic 10×10 corridor dungeon crawl to show the contrast between an open space and a more intimate area. The shader has been tweaked, the reflectivity map has been updated, and much more.

It’s still an early work-in-progress, but it’s starting to feel real and you can begin to get a sense of the physical rules that govern the world around you.

For backers who have Prototype Access, you’ll soon be able to play the Pre-Alpha Prototype yourself. Expect an email when the build is up on Steam later this week.

If you don’t have access yet, you can still purchase it as an Add-On on our websitehere.

Want a peek even sooner than that? You’re in luck!

In the next few days, IGN will be posting video of the Pre-Alpha Prototype in action, along with interviews with art director Nate Wells, lead designer Tim Stellmach, creative director Paul Neurath, and OtherSide Austin studio director Warren Spector.
5JF6pL9XC4dxRVD6rHs0Oa6b6kY21iyOdUDbD7j1xTQ27lp8H9KRaynEFAn4iA43u5S6SQrdfzXqWti0XUjaVzFtY0XO-OWXkSoJGPrOLl71cr0fo3l9SpiIXeDqQCEV1htu4uNqABq0XsUhzMDZSbQgsxbexBmUed_2B1E=s0-d-e1-ft

OtherSide meeting with IGN Previews Editor Ryan McCaffrey at PAX East.
Huge thanks to our friends at MassDiGI for letting us film at their booth.

When the footage goes live, we’ll link on Twitter and Facebook, so make sure to sign up, if you haven’t yet. It’s a great way to keep fully up-to-date on all the latest, likeGamers Nexus’ recent interview with Warren.

NEXT STEPS FOR UNDERWORLD ASCENDANT...

Going forward, the team will be making everything more robust: The spell and mana system, a more complete combat system, UI, and, of course, The Stygian Abyss itself. There’s also a lot ahead with our bestiary and races, how they act, where the live in the world, and more.

One of the biggest tests upcoming is our Quest system, which will include both procedural quests and more conventional ‘story’ missions. The former will build out systems pioneered back in Ultima Underworld and System Shock, reacting to your solutions to problems and presenting challenges reflective of your choices.

Also, while we’ve concentrated on the spell system and laying the groundwork on combat, there’s one more elusive skillset that we haven’t talked too much about… Something particularly near and dear to Tim and I’s heart.

Yep... Stealth.

oU43FKFu8c4Vd9Yth_pvrGAzuyIviH3rlAuXrRs4dLLDsGJL_pv6w9-udZwZWgRFAYXLBf7gOvloF-A0myweB4w1L3KTaE62ebkb80dsCv5OqP0K_U0reiJi1O1JCTsS2ixynKZiIp6MlvfrU6nQbGYCwCeESzQJ2vL4hkY=s0-d-e1-ft

Our own Tim Stellmach was lead designer on this first-person stealth game.

We won’t be doing a 1:1 version of LookingGlass’ Thief: The Dark Project, but will provide stealth skills that let you short-circuit encounters through avoidance, escape, and trickery. For a thief, the success or failure of a melee encounter is often determined by how it begins. Preparation is hugely important. Stealth skills often call for careful preparation to take advantage of specific circumstances, requiring you to plan ahead in order to make your abilities count.

Of course, AI is a big part of making stealth gameplay work. Tim has already created the basic groundwork of the system, which is following pretty closely the original Thiefmodel: speed matters, light matters, and sound is also important. Many baseline beasties might react like the guards in Thief, but you never know if some of the other fantastic creatures in this world will be fooled by your skulking ways.

What aspects of stealth gameplay do you like most? Share with our devs and other fans on our forums.

That’s all for this time… Again, keep your eyes peeled for more later this week!

Best,

Chris Siegel
Sr. Producer

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hope to get my hands on that prototype soon and record another video. Sounds like it'll be interesting and I'm looking forward to what they have to offer this time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Chris and Joe on dialogue and NPC interaction: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1142.msg18306#msg18306

Chris Siegel said:
I'm not adverse to how it's been done in RPG's for years for the informational, stores and stuff. That said, when it comes to voice acting and NPC chatter, we look (big secret here) at that system as a commentary for the immediate situation, and the state of the world. Just like a sports game. The NPC's are creating a feedback system for the player to gather info. That idea can be then tied into the other systems going on--reputation, factions and whatnot. Of course not all voiced, that stuff is expensive, and we need to pick our moments, but that feedback can be in chat screens, bubbles grunts moans, screams...

Joe Fielder said:
That's a good question. We have a plan for interactions w/ NPCs, but UI (user interface) is something that takes a lot of iteration to get right, so it's too early to commit.

For voice work, I promise we'll have amazing talent. We've already announced that Stephen Russell (Thief, Fallout 4) and Terri Brosius (System Shock's SHODAN!) will be among our voice cast and I can't wait to record with Fryda Wolff again. (You've heard in our October demo video, Evolve, and the latest Civ, and I had a great time working with her on The Black Glove.) All three of them will be major characters in Underworld Ascendant.

I also have a few actors and actresses who I worked with on BioShock Infinite and The Black Glove in mind, and it would be great to pull monster growler supreme Fred Tatasciore back into a booth.

We'll have a formal casting announcement at some point down the line, but long story short, we have exciting plans!

Still waiting for that IGN video...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's up: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/28/pax-east-2016-underworld-ascendant-an-early-look-at-gameplay

While at PAX East last weekend, we were able to sit down at the Underworld Ascendant booth to get our first look at the spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld. The first-person RPG reunites much of its original cast, including revered designers Warren Spector and Paul Neurath – both of whom you hear from in the video below.

The video above, meanwhile, includes a walkthrough of a test area with art director Nate Wells, who is best known for his work on the Uncharted series. We'll be keeping a close eye on this game as its development continues, but for now, enjoy this early look at it with its legendary creators!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom