Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Prototype Gameplay Footage at PC Gamer and Polygon

Nyast

Cipher
I didn't think it was that bad, especially considering they don't have an AAA budget.

I agree it doesn't have the UU feeling. It felt more like a mix of Arx Fatalis and Thief for me. So for now I'll simply expect a game "loosely" based on UU and see where it goes, instead of a true UU successor. That way I hope I won't be disapointed.

I quite liked the little I saw about dungeon design. Lots of complex walls, verticality, etc.. So there might be some hope.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And he said it was set for release end of 2016? That's a year away. I don't see that.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Well Neurath did work on Thief and System Shock, but I wonder if he knows what made Thief goddamn amazing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even if he doesn't, this game's lead designer was the lead designer of Thief. :M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ken Levine did System Shock 2. These guys never forget what made their older games great!

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The last people I trust are those retired rockstars. They always come up with some stupid revolushonary ideas.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The last people I trust are those retired rockstars. They always come up with some stupid revolushonary ideas.

I agree, Ken Levine did have Looking Glass behind him for SS2, but the conditions and the team that made Thief are gone. Who were the greatest influences in the style and sound? Sometimes we put too much faith in a couple of names and forget games really are collaborative efforts of dozens of people. And even if he knows what makes Thief a masterpiece doesnt mean he can pull it off again. Arkane did try with Dishonored and it was pretty meh triple A.
We shall see.

Divinity: Original Sin
I mentioned before that it has a bioshock vibe, but i actually did like the demo. Mostly because they had not showed anything before, I was getting worried they were doing nothing at all. Also, the part that reminds me of bioshock is the visuals, and that's not a bad thing. Bioshock gameplay and story were the worst, but visuals were nice.

Also, the visuals remind me of atlantis in indiana jones and the fate of atlantis, but gameplay is actually reminiscent of alien isolation, amnesia and those kind of games. This is what I don't like, since these new games are considered by mainstream media a natural evolvement of thief games - PC gamer compared thief to gone home and walking simulators in their recent top 100 pcgames.

I'm also not expecting a tradional RPG, the only rpgs looking glass did were ultima underworlds, but system shock and thief were more inovative and not RPGs. I don't give a fuck if this game end up not being an rpg.

m_s0

Arcane
I didn't think it was that bad, especially considering they don't have an AAA budget.

I agree it doesn't have the UU feeling. It felt more like a mix of Arx Fatalis and Thief for me. So for now I'll simply expect a game "loosely" based on UU and see where it goes, instead of a true UU successor. That way I hope I won't be disapointed.

I quite liked the little I saw about dungeon design. Lots of complex walls, verticality, etc.. So there might be some hope.
I didn't think it was bad at all, frankly - for a couple of months, 6 people and a tiny budget it's actually very impressive what they managed to put together. The only issue is that there's just not enough there to do a proper presentation yet, especially considering what this game is supposed to be aiming for. At this point it seems to be fine for screenshots or teasers, but that's about it.

Divinity: Original Sin
That Shadowbeast looks like something from the boxart of a 90's GPU box.

it looks like diablo:

latest

Mustawd

What's funny to me is that these guys still have no sense of marketing and PR. Not that I care if they do, but it's a bit surprising.

For example, how hard is it to release a pre-alpha clip, like they just did, and include a 2-4 minute blurb on what they're trying to showcase, explain what the placeholders are, explain more detail on certain aspects of gameplay that may change (like VO), etc.? I mean they ended up doing it anyway...after the fact..in text form where not everyone will read it.

In this day and age backers still do not understand how raw some of this footage still is and how much a project can be in flux until the last third or so. Especially in a pre Alpha, things can still change, be added, or taken away. Naturally, we all nitpick the shit of it because these guys don't understand that they need to explain all these things so we don't assume the final gameplay will be like this. I mean it's common fucking sense

Someone donate them a publicist or something.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Exactly.
It is quite funny how people who have some insight into how development works see this video and think "Well, yeah, that's nice for this state in the cycle", where people who obviously lack that insight and are used to "beautified" videos and other PR stuff get mad about how unfinished everything looks.
And yes, they could have done some explaining on the video.

Seriously, the progress shown in the video is okay at this point. And if what they say about the AI is true, that's quite the achievement. Most games, even AAA titles, are not able to deliver an AI that does these things reliably. Of course, we don't know yet if this one will.

Honestly, the first 90% of development (of any game) does not yield truly visible results, while the last 10% of development will look like 90% of development came in all at once. I'm actually surprised they have this lava effect working already. Such a thing would usually not have the highest priority in development.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Honestly, the first 90% of development (of any game) does not yield truly visible results, while the last 10% of development will look like 90% of development came in all at once.

lolwut
ninety-ninety rule for dummies
"we have something truly amazing, but you will only see it at the great final presentation"
*disappears the day before the great presentation*

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That vid doesn't look very good. It looks like some random console game and the slow camera movement supports this, it looks as if being played with a controller :?

Burning Bridges

This has nothing in common with UW. Proves again that material has to be shown before the pitch, not long afterwards.

Gameplay looks horrible, derivative, and completely "un-rpg" like. I hope this is a really really abstract representation of what they are aiming for.

You know that it isn't. This is basically what you will get. Messiah of Might and Magic for the poor with some influences from our other beloved "games" that have been releases in the last 10 years.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lolwut
ninety-ninety rule for dummies
"we have something truly amazing, but you will only see it at the great final presentation"
*disappears the day before the great presentation*
Of course you can show a bare bones version of "something amazing" - which is what these guys did! -, but it might just look like shit if you can't see through all the unfinished stuff.
And most people can't. That is just a skill that develops once you start developing software yourself. I doubt that many non-developers can do that.

I'd rather see 10 devlog-kinda videos like this than 1 video where some developer wasted his time polishing 100% WIP videos for the unwashed masses.

Still... even devlog videos should have some kind of comment by the developer.
So yes, even by my standards, this is not a great video.

Durwyn

Prophet
That vid doesn't look very good. It looks like some random console game and the slow camera movement supports this, it looks as if being played with a controller :?
Probably because it's just a scripted cinematic that imitates gameplay hence the pad-like camera movement. Most of recent so-called gameplay trailers suffer from it (FC: Primal for example)

Nice lightning, nice effects altough everything looks like made of plastic reminiscing me of Doom 3 for some reason + gummybear monster.

Still not convinced about the game, will refrain from voicing any optimism until they show something less railroaded.

Burning Bridges

All this game can ever hope to achieve be is already available: It's called Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom