Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter Update #18: New Backer Goal, Engine Talk

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Siegel; Jeff Kesselman; OtherSide Entertainment; Underworld Ascendant; Will Teixeira

The Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter campaign hit the $500,000 milestone over the weekend, something that the guys at OtherSide were quite happy to break their vacation to celebrate in a Kickstarter update. Owing to the quick success of the Splatter Seed Sling backer goal, the update also went and announced a third backer goal for next week, to be unlocked at 10,000 backers. Naturally, it's a Shambler artifact - a sharp-witted talking skull (hmmm...) named Chattering Bart. But today's update is more interesting than that. OtherSide's decision to use the Unity engine for this game has received criticism for some quarters. In the video accompanying the update, programmers Will Teixeira and Jeff Kesselman talk about the advantages of Unity for developing a game that's heavily based on physical simulation. It also includes some new footage of the game's prototype. Check it out:

There has been a lot of chatter about the in-game visuals in the Underworld Ascendant early prototype. Some have called them downright homely. We take no insult.

As with the games we developed at LookingGlass, our philosophy is to avoid putting a lot of time into making pretty in-game visuals during early development. This enables us to iterate fast early on, rapidly improving game play. The tradeoff is having less impressive visuals to show off with a prototype. For fans who want to see gorgeous visuals upfront, this can be a hurdle.

Good news is that we can and will dramatically step up the visual bar. Not at the expense of gameplay, and not to try to chase AAA games that have tens-of-millions to throw at visuals, but we'll deliver a great-looking indie game.

Explaining some of the how:

Beyond tapping into the enthusiasm of Chris’ kids, our art team has track record of delivering games known for their wonderful art style and 3D visuals: BioShock, BioShock Infinite,Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, among others.

As for the software engine, we are currently using Unity 4.6 for the prototype. This version’s visual capabilities are dated. However, it's proven and robust, enabling fast prototyping.

This week we started doing test builds with a beta version of Unity 5. Its capabilities are hugely improved. Notable new features include physically-based shading, PhysX 3.3, and global illumination. Check out what Unity 5 promises to deliver when it is released for production useHERE.

When the Unity 5 beta becomes sufficiently stable that using it will not slow down our development, we will make the switch. We expect Unity 5 will be a good fit for the project’s needs. However, if we are surprised to learn it fails to deliver, we will switch to a more suitable engine.

They've also updated the Kickstarter pitch video with some of this new stuff. Nice! BTW, don't forget to vote for Underworld Ascendant on the GOG.com community wishlist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
How boring is this going to be after they barely make their goal and then the sheep have to wait 2 years...

Zep--

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, they picked up a lot of cash the last couple of days. They'll probably hit around $750k. Which is fine because it means they won't waste money on VR and coop.

Sonus

Educated
Goddamn! The lack of a game by this team is far more tragic than any included optional stuff they append! A subjective all-I-want or NOTHING attitude is irresponsible.

Sonus

Educated
'Kay. How do you show a game you haven't made yet, again?

snoek

Cipher
I like the old school theme featured near the end :) Anyway, I hope they meet their kickstarter goal and can go ahead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bet they are going to do VR and co-op anyway.

No they won't if they don't reach that funding goal. No question there.

No question at all, except they are doing VR despite not reaching their goal. Looks like my gut was right.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1148942

Anyway, based on these considerations we are not prepared to make a decision yet as to if we might support VR for Underworld Ascendant.

Also, VR isn't even a stretch goal. Only co-op is.

Darkzone

Arcane
VR is not a problem at all, it is cheap to make it. And currently they can only do the oculus rift, and even that is in the air.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
It's hard to remember what the stretch goals are (or were) as they changed them 3 or 4 times already.

Zep--

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Zep, factual genius.

It must be good to be so smart and not be a foolish manboon sheep

Oh you poor fools Zep and I weep for your minuscule intellects, towering giants of wisdom we are

Weasel
Someone seems p. butthurt about this kickstarter.

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom