Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter is LIVE

shadow9d9

Learned
You really need to try harder. You aren't even trying.

There is nothing to try. I simply don't understand any excitement for a single player fps coming from the codex of all places. I have to go back to the hypothesis that it is drooling over name dropping.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
This is making me want to reinstall UUW. Does anyone know if there has been a mod, similar to the one that was made for System Shock, that enabled better use of mouse and keyboard?

Nope, the Underworld games remain tragically modless. It's a travesty. But now that we know about that source code...
That's one of the first things I'm going to ask about...
Remember to thank them for boxes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I simply don't understand any excitement for a single player fps coming from the codex of all places. I have to go back to the hypothesis that it is drooling over name dropping.

Name-dropping of who, exactly? We're talking about veterans of Looking Glass Studios, a company that never made anything BUT first person games. Ultima Underworld. System Shock. Thief. "Single player FPSes", all of them.

They never made anything turn-based. They never made anything isometric. But this site is not actually called IsometricDex.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm excited about this. Well, vaguely. Those Kickstarter projects haven't really knocked the socks off me yet. But I am a very loyal LG fan.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm excited about this. Well, vaguely. Those Kickstarter projects haven't really knocked the socks off me yet. But I am a very loyal LG fan.

Sure keep telling yourself it's because you're a LG fan.

Crave fellowship and a companion creature? Vote for the addition of a vorpal bunny
:troll:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris Roberts seems to have mentioned this over at the Star Citizen boards as there has been an influx of SC people posting on comments section. No official email from SC or Garriott so hopefully when they do it will bring in even more pledges.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris Roberts seems to have mentioned this over at the Star Citizen boards as there has been an influx of SC people posting on comments section. No official email from SC or Garriott so hopefully when they do it will bring in even more pledges.

I think somebody recently dropped a 10k on the Kickstarter. It's reaching 250k faster than I expected.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
It took them about 4.5 hours to reach 100k. It's now been an hour since then and they've only made an additional 10k. Nah, this is gonna be a long haul.
I suppose we'll see in a couple of days - you'll earn yourself another brofist among your countless thousands if you're right but I sincerely hope you're wrong - not because I want you to be wrong but because I really want to see this project succeed. :)

It appears that you were right and I was too optimistic - good call!

We got almost halfway there with the initial push, so there's still a good chance that this will get funded, but it seems like we probably won't reach most of the stretch goals.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It took them about 4.5 hours to reach 100k. It's now been an hour since then and they've only made an additional 10k. Nah, this is gonna be a long haul.
I suppose we'll see in a couple of days - you'll earn yourself another brofist among your countless thousands if you're right but I sincerely hope you're wrong - not because I want you to be wrong but because I really want to see this project succeed. :)

It appears that you were right and I was too optimistic - good call!

We got almost halfway there with the initial push, so there's still a good chance that this will get funded, but it seems like we probably won't reach most of the stretch goals.

I expect to see a shoutout from an inXile Kickstarter update at some point. Lots of people have an interest in this campaign doing well.

It's sad that the freaking LOOKING GLASS KICKSTARTER isn't doing better than this, but I guess you could argue that this is a genre that people might feel is already being served, one way or the other.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/563566800659435520

Cliff Bleszinski said:
Just...back it. Trust me.

edit: Oh, TSI also did a shoutout on Twitter. Although it seems they're still not good at using Twitter. They should have attached a dot or something before the message.

https://twitter.com/TSIGames/status/563050525105881090

@OtherSide_Games Just backed Underworld Ascendant on #Kickstarter. Terrific to see another quality RPG updated for today's audience! #rpg

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's sad that the freaking LOOKING GLASS KICKSTARTER isn't doing better than this, but I guess you could argue that this is a genre that people might feel is already being served, one way or the other.

It's because they are not doing a good job of explaining what specifically made UU great and what they plan to do with this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

It's because they are not doing a good job of explaining what specifically made UU great and what they plan to do with this game.

Well, I think that in general, "dungeon crawlers" are a hard genre to explain. They're one of those things that's really fun, but sounds tedious if you describe it.

I guess a few descriptions of quests could be nice, but you'll always have people wondering "but why does it have to be in a dungeon?". Why indeed? It's hard to explain.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Well, I think that in general, "dungeon crawlers" are a hard genre to explain. They're one of those things that's really fun, but sounds tedious if you describe it.

I guess a few descriptions of quests could be nice, but you'll always have people wondering "but why does it have to be in a dungeon?". Why indeed? It's hard to explain.
They're doing a really bad job trying it to their more popular and modern games. They need to do with UU what Fargo did with Wasteland.

It's like Thief except fighting works better! It's like Deus Ex except with magic instead of technology!

I don't even think they mention Arkane and Arx/Dishonored which are love letter games to LGS. Dishonored is huge, Thi4f anger is huge. They need to tap into those feelings.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
That's a good point. Go to their forums and tell them that.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's a good point. Go to their forums and tell them that.
That's a good point indeed but i'm afraid it's far too late for that. It's not like they can change their underwhelming homepage video. I think the people that checked the kickstarter page, watched the video en left unimpressed are gone. If the ONE GOOD ARGUMENT for backing the game is hidden in the fifth update it won't do any good imho.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Why would you even want them to have a chance of hitting that co-op goal?

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah as much as I like coop in games in general and enjoyed playing D:OS with a friend I can't see tackling it to a single player game in exchange for a small increase in budget being a good idea. It was bound to create drama through poor implementation or back-pedaling but, luckily, we'll never find out how stupid of an idea it was because they'll never hit the 1.2m mark. My bet is on 800 to 850k.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom