Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter is LIVE

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why the hell isn't this pinned? Get that azn trash shit and DAI off there and pin this.
Behead those who insult Shadowrun.
RQO2nMx.jpg

Mixed feelings about the video pitch.
On one side part of what they are showing seems to have the very right "Underworld vibe" and some vague allusions about what the game should be focused on (player agency, freedom, immersive simulation, etc) sound encouraging.
On the other hand... Holy shit if they don't need more 3D artists desperately, because I've seen fanmade amateurish projects putting this "early prototype" to shame.
I genuinely hope that when they stress "PROTOTYPE" in the video, they are actually meaning to improve things massively in that area.

Oh, also still skeptic we will ever get something good on the performance side out of Unity, but I guess we'll see.

shadow9d9

Learned
:lol: I'm thinking now that it would be much more fun if you were really this dumb and not trolling. I wonder if I should feel bad.

I think the fact that there is no actual counter-argument speaks volumes. Should I be excited for the voice acting, the first person shooting, or the pc exclusivity?

You should be excited about having the opportunity to play games like Deus Ex and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines for the first time, since you're clearly unaware of them.

Go, have fun, and come back when you're done:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

Deus ex was a bore. Vampires was ok. I don't like single player FPSs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You should just leave here and go to the Watch. Sounds like your kind of people you would want to hang out with.

shadow9d9

Learned
You should just leave here and go to the Watch. Sounds like your kind of people you would want to hang out with.

The watch admins were pretty disgusting recently, when they shamelessly backed Doublebear repeatedly. They are generic and mainstream.

It just shocks me to see people here excited for a fps in a dungeon all because it has an old name attached to it. People here claim not to like the bethesda games, but if they like this, then clearly they want more bethesda.

Bruticis

The watch admins were pretty disgusting recently, when they shamelessly backed Doublebear repeatedly. They are generic and mainstream.

It just shocks me to see people here excited for a fps in a dungeon all because it has an old name attached to it. People here claim not to like the bethesda games, but if they like this, then clearly they want more bethesda.
Everything is shit. BSB. If it's mainstream AAA, it's garbage. Nostalgia fags? It's trash! Is that what you were looking for? Skyway Jr. tag, please.

Xorazm

Cipher
Backed. Partly in the hopes that it might turn out great, partly because I'd probably buy it when it came out anyway, but most importantly because part of me feels that bathing in the holy bath of indie-RPG-revival will be the only thing to cleanse me of the absolutely unforgivable sin of paying real money for Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I keep the icon on my desktop to remind me. Like the mark of Cain, it bears for all my lack of taste and my credulous willingness to let myself think that GOTY awards meant that I was obtaining, you know, a game.

Never again. I say 30 Hail Fallouts and roll a d20 to decide how many lashes to give myself. My +4 Ring of Shame Resistance shall not save me this time.

Whack, whack.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
This is making me want to reinstall UUW. Does anyone know if there has been a mod, similar to the one that was made for System Shock, that enabled better use of mouse and keyboard?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is making me want to reinstall UUW. Does anyone know if there has been a mod, similar to the one that was made for System Shock, that enabled better use of mouse and keyboard?

Nope, the Underworld games remain tragically modless. It's a travesty. But now that we know about that source code...

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mixed feelings about the video pitch.
On one side part of what they are showing seems to have the very right "Underworld vibe" and some vague allusions about what the game should be focused on (player agency, freedom, immersive simulation, etc) sound encouraging.
On the other hand... Holy shit if they don't need more 3D artists desperately, because I've seen fanmade amateurish projects putting this "early prototype" to shame.
I genuinely hope that when they stress "PROTOTYPE" in the video, they are actually meaning to improve things massively in that area.

Oh, also still skeptic we will ever get something good on the performance side out of Unity, but I guess we'll see.

Protoypes often show systems, not graphics. Anyone who saw the video could probably understand that the player was burning/destroying a bridge trying to prevent some huge ass spiders from crossing a chasm and getting to him. The animation might be clunky, the spells have little visual feedback and the models may look like ass with low resolution textures, but that's why we have terms such as "programmer art". You don't pay the Chinese modelling sweat-shop your jew money if you are not getting art that you are actually going to use in the final game. Especially when you're begging money on the Internet to pay the development.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
After I had already admitted that I hadn't realized that the Ultima runes mixed up a couple, you had to bring it up again?
It's transliteral, you nerd. Using Elder Futhark, it's correct.
Now that is demonstrably wrong a statement.
D - Futhark, Futhorc and Ultima
E - Futhark, Futhorc and Ultima
P - only Ultima; letter doesn't exist in Futhark and Futhorc, they share a completely different P
TH - Futhark, Futhorc and Ultima
S - Futhorc and Ultima, rare variant in Futhark
A - Futhark and Ultima, Æ in Futhorc
W - only Ultima; H in Futhark and Futhorc, they share a completely different W
K - Futhorc and Ultima; C/K looks considerably different in Futhark
N - Futhark, Futhorc and Ultima
This was the very point of that part in my post.

My distaste for lazy transliterations when a more precise transcription scheme exists aside, the Futhark/Futhorc mishmash re A & K can even be explained as regional variance and/or being from a time before Futhorc had finalized its development from Futhark. Doesn't change that Garriott screwed up big time with "P" and "W" (and two more IIRC). Only thing worse in that regard are Marvel's "Asgardian runes" derived from some lazy bum disrespectful of all things foreign to him who couldn't be arsed to do even the slightest bit of research ignorantly writing English words with glowy runes by matching them based on their place in their respective alphabets, i.e. a cypher that uses historical script in a way that doesn't even remotely align with its sound values.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The letters are accurate, IDK and IDC what you are on about.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Nope, the Underworld games remain tragically modless. It's a travesty. But now that we know about that source code...
That's one of the first things I'm going to ask about...

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Well, you are wrong (doubly so, as other than said four or so mistakes, Ultima's runic alphabet is decidedly Futhorc, not Futhark), and hereby I'm done discussing this as well.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Well, you are wrong (doubly so, as other than said four or so mistakes, Ultima's runic alphabet is decidedly Futhorc, not Futhark), and hereby I'm done discussing this as well.
I found a transparent logo where it's easier to make out the runes and actually you're right, this does not follow any real runic transliterate translation. I thought the "K" rune looked like a real P rune. Still pretty sure they tried to make it say "depthsawaken" tho, nothing else makes sense.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Yup. (Early Bird, otherwise 25 $, but they seem like they'll last the whole campaign.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom