Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter is LIVE

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Aight! Put 20 bux on it.
This is an exception - My current view on the game is suspicious at best, as Unity is garbage.

But I really liked UU, so what the hell.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I did. It looks cool. I don't doubt their ability to create destructible environments or environments you can manipulate (flooding, etc). I'm talking about all that "ripple across, reactive ecology, expanding territories" stuff.

Heh, I guess I'm used to seeing stuff like that as puffed up marketing-speak. They're obviously not going to simulate a three faction real-time strategy game in their RPG. Most likely what they've done is created an AI that wanders around autonomously, but can only walk in certain types of territory. The shamblers can walk on damp territory, so if you create damp territory, the shambler AIs start wandering in it and "expand their territory". They're just building scenarios in the clouds on top of that basic functionality.
You're probably right and it's a shame, because simulating a three faction RTS in an RPG is just the kind of stuff I expect from Looking Glass people... if it was in the 90s and people still innovated.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I did. It looks cool. I don't doubt their ability to create destructible environments or environments you can manipulate (flooding, etc). I'm talking about all that "ripple across, reactive ecology, expanding territories" stuff.

Heh, I guess I'm used to seeing stuff like that as puffed up marketing-speak. They're obviously not going to simulate a three faction real-time strategy game in their RPG. Most likely what they've done is created an AI that wanders around autonomously, but can only walk in certain types of territory. The shamblers can walk on damp territory, so if you create damp territory, the shambler AIs start wandering in it and "expand their territory". They're just building scenarios in the clouds on top of that basic functionality.
I agree that it's marketing speak (and I don't expect a fully blown simulation either). I simply would like to know what exactly they're offering, design-wise.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
From what I'm reading (in their Reddit AMA and elsewhere), these guys seem strongly opposed to anything scripted on principle. No doubt they will have to compromise here and there, of course.
We need a codex interview stat.

Tigranes

Arcane
Improvisation 'engine' at least implies that creative solutions are not all scripted but permitted by skills and interactions, i.e. how charmed creatures behave, can they push the buttons the player needs to push, etc. I'd be perfectly satisfied with that, I don't need them to try and revolutionise large-scale C&C. But even that is difficult.

Darkzone

Arcane
Aight! Put 20 bux on it.
This is an exception - My current view on the game is suspicious at best, as Unity is garbage.

But I really liked UU, so what the hell.
I also gave the 20, despite Unity. I hope your jewish numbers counting is correct.

Raapys

Arcane
Well Unity still sucks, but I'm more optimistic now than before the KS started. Focus on dynamic/unscripted interactivity is expected but a positive sign nonetheless. Little said about the spells; looks like few unique effects but with variable power/duration if those few sentences are anything to go by. Hoping they'll put more into it.

Beyond that, I think much hinges on the atmosphere they can produce in the game. Should it reach the level of Arx Fatalis then I could probably ignore a lot of shortcomings in other areas of the game.

shadow9d9

Learned
Is it real time or turn based? If real time, what is the difference between this and any bethesda game?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Is it real time or turn based? If real time, what is the difference between this and any bethesda game?

Ask yourself what is the difference between Deus Ex and Fallout 3. There's your answer.

For the lazy: voice acted main character, PC exclusivity, stronger focus on main story instead of open world exploration, conspiracy storyline, no pause in combat, no dialogue skills.

DemonKing

Arcane
Backed - had a good laugh about how a "clever" player gets around obstacles by riding on the back of a huge freaking spider though...

shadow9d9

Learned

Ask yourself what is the difference between Deus Ex and Fallout 3. There's your answer.

For the lazy: voice acted main character, PC exclusivity, stronger focus on main story instead of open world exploration, conspiracy storyline, no pause in combat, no dialogue skills.

Oh, so nothing I care about. Shame they went FPS. I have no interest in FPSs.

Who cares about pc exclusivity? Who cares about voice acting? A different story? Every game is a different story. No pause in combat? So what? No dialogue skills? So what? This is just another first person shooter, except in a dungeon. No wonder Bioshock devs are involved. It is just another first person shooter!

shadow9d9

Learned
It amazes me that people on the codex could cheer another first person shooter while bashing bethesda games... I guess the name dropping was enough.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: I'm thinking now that it would be much more fun if you were really this dumb and not trolling. I wonder if I should feel bad.

shadow9d9

Learned
:lol: I'm thinking now that it would be much more fun if you were really this dumb and not trolling. I wonder if I should feel bad.

I think the fact that there is no actual counter-argument speaks volumes. Should I be excited for the voice acting, the first person shooting, or the pc exclusivity?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I think the fact that there is no actual counter-argument speaks volumes. Should I be excited for the voice acting, the first person shooting, or the pc exclusivity?

You should be excited about having the opportunity to play games like Deus Ex and Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines for the first time, since you're clearly unaware of them.

Go, have fun, and come back when you're done:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6910/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

Bruticis

Why the hell isn't this pinned? Get that azn trash shit and DAI off there and pin this.

DrLocrian

Educated
Pledged. Third KS after P:E and PST. Not yet burned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom