Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It seems Otherside has accuired more star power for the Kickstarter campaign. The fools whose deside to pledge based on Garriot's endorsement deserve to be ripped off anyway.

Nonetheless, I think it's appropriate that the new UU will be at least in some way tied to Garriot.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Nonetheless, I think it's appropriate that the new UU will be at least in some way tied to Garriot.

As long as it is ONLY lore wise then fine.

If they suddenly contract molyneux disease (of which Gariott is a current carrier) then there is absolutely no hope at all...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think Specter and Garriot will have a lot of pull with people.

(even personally, I think the bile spewed at Specter around is uncalled for. Who cares that he made some shitty Mickey Mouse games, at least he wasn't calling them RPGs and being hailed as the next step forward).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
My left nut for a worthy revival of the series. I am equally and moreso hopeful for a rekindling of Looking Glass Studios. Those guys were revolutionaries. If they still have their stuff we are in for epic shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jaesun said:
As long as it is ONLY lore wise then fine.
I don't expect it to be anything more than that, God forbid!

THAT is what I am terrified about. Period.

Gariott and Specter ONLY see things from a sales stand point. They have completely lost their way and forgot what makes a GOOD and enjoyable cRPG for a player. Like creating worlds where the Player can do what ever they want, and they try to accommodate what the player will do (see Deus Ex etc...).

Last edited:

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
My left nut for a worthy revival of the series. I am equally and moreso hopeful for a rekindling of Looking Glass Studios. Those guys were revolutionaries. If they still have their stuff we are in for epic shit.

Don't let your nostalgia glasses distort your judgment. Otherside is not Looking Glass and never will be. Those guys are scattered all over the place and even if they'd get together today they wouldn't be able to reproduce the magic from 20+ years ago.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://ultimacodex.com/2015/01/iamt...hroud-of-the-avatar-set-in-the-same-universe/

#IAmTheAvatar: Are Underworld Ascendant and Shroud of the Avatar Set in the Same Universe?
BY WTF DRAGON · JANUARY 21, 2015

underworld_ascendant_600.png

SotA_header.png

As noted earlier, OtherSide Entertainment have been using the #IAmTheAvatar hashtag on Twitter to promote Underworld Ascendant. Evidently, this caused some curiosity and speculation, because they then felt the need to sort-of clarify the term’s meaning on their forums:

What does that mean?

As the Avatar in Underworld, your mission is to do great things and undertake herculean tasks for the greater good. But it isn’t always huge heroic leaps is it? It’s also the little things. Like fostering relationships, gathering and trading goods, crafting necessary items. You get the idea. So all deeds which lead to the end result, great or small, make up the Avatar.

Our mission as the Underworld community is to do the same. We’re on a quest to raise the Underworld. This will happen in both grand gestures like high profile news or through smaller steps, like a retweet or telling a friend about how Ultima Underworld affected your gaming experiences. However you chose to contribute to the quest, you are the Avatar.

We are honored that you are on this journey with us.

Which…probably triggers as many questions as it answers, really. We’ll likely learn more on February 4th, which is when their Kickstarter campaign begins. They even released a promotional banner to drive home the date:

underworld-ascendant-kickstarter.jpg

Anyhow…I don’t think it’s entirely a coincidence that you, the player, will take on the persona ofthe Avatar (or an Avatar) in both Underworld Ascension and Shroud of the Avatar. But here’s where it gets interesting, as I hope you’ll see momentarily. Someone asked Richard Garriott, via Twitter, about Underworld Ascendant:

Huzzah! @OtherSide_Games brings back #Ultima Underworld! How close to @RichardGarriott 's lore will it be?

The Codex’s own Browncoat Jayson jumped in with a quick reply to this, explaining what OtherSide can and cannot do with the game at the IP level:

@PlayingTurtle @RichardGarriott @OtherSide_Games Well, it's #Underworld just not #Ultima. Still looking forward to it!

But then Richard Garriott added this little tidbit of information:

@browncoatjayson @PlayingTurtle @OtherSide_Games We are still working together on joint fiction, so we continue history together!

Joint fiction? Continue history together? It’s not an outright admission, to be sure, but it does seem to strongly imply that the two games may end up being set in the same universe, upon the same world, telling two different parts of a common, larger story.

I should probably also note that the $1.8 million stretch goal during Shroud of the Avatar’sKickstarter campaign had four parts to it:
  • A serialized novel by Tracy Hickman as a prequel to the SotA storyline
  • A massive, interconnected underworld with a unique story and ecology
  • An apprentice system that would allow “Master”-level players to help lower-level players advance more quickly
  • Cloaks with full cloth simulation
To date, two of these four goals have been delivered: Blade of the Avatar was indeed written and released, and Shroud of the Avatar does indeed feature cloaks with full cloth physics to them. Notably absent? Well, yes, the apprentice system…but also the underworld. There has been nary a mention of it in any Update of the Avatar published to date, nor even a hint of concept art pertaining thereto.

So I, for one, can’t help but wonder: what if Shroud of the Avatar’s underworld experience will be delivered by Underworld Ascendant?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Don't let your nostalgia glasses distort your judgment. Otherside is not Looking Glass and never will be. Those guys are scattered all over the place and even if they'd get together today they wouldn't be able to reproduce the magic from 20+ years ago.

Nonsense. It isn't magic, it is intelligent, uncompromising design. Definitely reproducible.

Also, they've got most of the original underworld team back together as mentioned earlier in the thread.
Looking Glass 2.0 can happen, not as in every single individual who ever worked at the studio reunited through Otherside, but a new era of innovation and quality can happen, if only they can be adequately supported (and that is wishful thinking unfortunately).

I think Specter and Garriot will have a lot of pull with people.

(even personally, I think the bile spewed at Specter around is uncalled for. Who cares that he made some shitty Mickey Mouse games, at least he wasn't calling them RPGs and being hailed as the next step forward).

I'd like to see Spector in a pure production role. Let him be the guy who understands the genre well enough that he knows what you can make with $X, and keeps things on schedule.

Perkel

Arcane
I want to be Dragon Avatar !

:avatard:

edit:

so how Shroud of Avatar is going ?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

I choose hope and optimism. Judgement comes later.

Gentle Player

Arcane
As much as I love Ultima, I'd rather the new Underworld would not feature the Avatar. I'd like to see the brilliance of UU design without the restriction of playing a fully virtuous character. Yes, in the past games you could take an unsavoury approach to a few things, like poisoning the goblin king and killing the Pit champions for the blackrock gem, but following a Virtuous path was almost always the best way to go, both in terms of experiencing content, XP rewards, and general satisfaction. That was fine for UU, it was how it should have been, but for the new game I would like to see a more nuanced approach to dealing with other characters. Not necessarily an "evil" approach - which is usually handled idiotically in computer games anyway, edginess for the sake of being edgy - but something less black and white, with an emphasis on the survival aspect of dungeon-delving and how that can play into one's interactions with NPCs. I don't think the Avatar is terribly suited to that, but then again with good writing and design anything is possible. Oh well, this will be
:takemymoney: :d1p:regardless, unless something disastrous happens.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As much as I love Ultima, I'd rather the new Underworld would not feature the Avatar. I'd like to see the brilliance of UU design without the restriction of playing a fully virtuous character. Yes, in the past games you could take an unsavoury approach to a few things, like poisoning the goblin king and killing the Pit champions for the blackrock gem, but following a Virtuous path was almost always the best way to go, both in terms of experiencing content, XP rewards, and general satisfaction. That was fine for UU, it was how it should have been, but for the new game I would like to see a more nuanced approach to dealing with other characters. Not necessarily an "evil" approach - which is usually handled idiotically in computer games anyway, edginess for the sake of being edgy - but something less black and white, with an emphasis on the survival aspect of dungeon-delving and how that can play into one's interactions with NPCs. I don't think the Avatar is terribly suited to that, but then again with good writing and design anything is possible. Oh well, this will be
:takemymoney: :d1p:regardless, unless something disastrous happens.

It's not the Avatar from Ultima they're talking about

Gentle Player

Arcane
Oh? What is the new Avatar then? I though Garriot's new game was just a pseudo-Ultima reboot but without the trademark. Never mind me, then.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Why didn't Garriott simply use the "Akalabeth 2" for his Kickstarter?

Its would seem like he probably owns the IP:
http://af.gog.com/game/akalabeth_world_of_doom?as=1649904300

It would have been a nice jab at EA...

"I built the Ultima Universe from THIS
Akalabeth_%2528AppleII%2529_01.png
starting in 1979!!
"All EA managed to do was to ran it into the ground."

"Now I'll go back to the beginning and do it all over again."

Introducing: Akalabeth 2: Mantle of the Avatar

Then this game could be "Akalabeth: Underworld"...

Last edited by a moderator:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have to admit that this makes good financial sense for OtherSide. With SotA Kickstarter base already in place it should help make the first few KS days look good as many of Garriot's real estate customers will pledge. First few days momentum are critical for KS success.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
An interesting turn.

As part of changing Ascension to Ascendant, OtherSide changed the runic tagline from "Jamon is awesome" to the more sensible "Depths Awaken".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom