Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
: Why is Will Teixeira making kickstarter with a cat simulator?

We know for sure this thing is his?

So much for your comment regarding your hope of younger developers in the game industry, right? I am your only hope, you see. Now give me all your money.

I posted a question along those lines on their forums. I don't expect much in the way of an answer but you never know.....

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Likely he negotiated the ability to moonlight on side projects with different audiences. I wouldn't be concerned with it.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Bloody mad modders.

It was tongue-in-cheek you fool. But hey, you have to be mad to have the desire to never "sell out", especially since the demographic for uncompromising games is made up primarily of the RPGCodex kind.

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will responded to my questions over on their forum:

Will:
Cat-Shaped Life is something I am doing on the side. I only devote a few hours a week to that business.
I am full time at OtherSide and plan to continue being there full time.

For the record, If I won the lottery I would still want to work on Underworld Ascendant. This game is going to be one of the funnest games ever, and even more fun to work on with such amazing co-workers.

I joined Otherside for several reasons.
I couldn't run my own business on the side working at triple-a companies, so I felt that my career had halted.
Working at Turbine I always heard about this mystical studio called LookingGlass, and how it was structured and ran. I said to myself "That sounds like the best game company ever".
When I heard that Paul made his own studio in Mass, I thought "That's where the next big game is going to happen. I need to be there."

The games being made at my company Gamawilo are focused on having more emotion and depth to them (compared to most games today). If anything UA will benefit from my developments at Gamawilo. As for me working a lot of hours a week, I don't spend more than 20 for Cat-Shaped Life, in-fact I may spend less since that game is content heavy instead of systems.
The kickstarters weren't originally going to overlap at all, but we (Me and Kristen) chose the 1st a long time ago because then our kickstarter is during GDC, PAX East, Dev Days, Tax returns and Unity 5 roadshow.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Good to hear.

For the record, If I won the lottery I would still want to work on Underworld Ascendant

Good answer, but you have already won the lottery by working on it (the talent scouting lottery), if it turns out to be birth of the new era of LGS level quality anyway.

mindx2

Patron
They just crossed the $700K mark and still going strong...

... and an update:

Tracy Hickman Novel Unlocked!

Posted by OtherSide Entertainment

Another 2 days, another stretch goal reached! We welcome Tracy to our community, and can’t wait to see the story he will be weaving for us to read.

adc4d34f0a5ea2db9e05e6347be92aa4_large.png

Tracy's book, telling the tale of how the Dark Elves arrived in the Abyss, will not only help in establishing the backstory to Underworld Ascendant, but will also provide readers with important clues as to the workings of this enigmatic faction.

Available in digital or physical formats as an Add-On, this is a must read for all fans of Underworld Ascendant!

If you go to the Add-On section of our Kickstarter page you can see the books. To choose one, go to the MANAGE your pledge button, at the top of the Kickstarter page (while you are logged in.) Then add the cost of the item (plus $15 shipping if you choose the hardcover and live outside of the US) to your pledge. At the end of the campaign you will get a survey to fill out and can allocate these additional funds for the items selected.

6727fbf2b84b034ff08651a064cd6774_large.png

Mysterious tomb complex painted by Sir Cabirus
As a special bonus for our backers, as part of reaching this milestone we’re also gifting a digital copy of Sir Cabirus’ portfolio. It will be given as a KICKSTARTAR EXCLUSIVE free reward to all backers in the JOURNEYMAN pledge tier or higher.

Next Up, the Lizardmen!
c1053d9cb4d412670759967207d3c547_large.png

The next stretch goal, at $750,000, is to unlock the Lizardman. The Lizardmen are fierce hunters who worship the Underswamp and its wild magics. The crafty Lizardmen prefer luring their prey into traps to immobilize their future dinner. What better creatures to guard the secrets of the Underswamp?

We've already funded their home with our first stretch goal, the Underswamp. So now let’s get them to settle in. Besides, they’re the only intelligent creatures that would actually like to live there.

f1a118c83e1918c88af1539f4ef82438_large.png

To help induce the Lizardmen to move in, let’s unlock the Dire Grove, a special area within the Underswamp. The Dire Grove is dominated by a massive species of swamp willow. These willows make fine roosts for Lizardmen treehouses. They also bear a fluorescent green berry, which is said to have an odd magical effect if consumed.

Upon our Kickstarter reaching $725,000 in funding, halfway to bringing the Lizardmen home, we will add the Dire Grove to Underworld Ascendant.

The OtherSide Team

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The hickman level (a stretch goal), has not been reached. So again, do you want 15k or 25k for a 10K expense, or 0k of nothing.
Um ... you don't understand how Kickstarter works then, dude. They are funded.

No, you do not understand. 699,999.99 Hickman does not get paid. If I am him. I kick in 10K so it makes the stretch goal.

Oh, you're saying Hickman may have illegally pledged to ensure he gets hired. OK, that makes sense. It's still stupid, but it makes sense.

Angthoron

Arcane
It's a lizardMAN. They look natural, it's the lizardWOMEN that adhere to the standards of beauty common to the lizards.

Codex has been very forgiving of Otherside(not that I necessarily disagree with that) so having someone like Zep in here is only natural.

Darkzone

Arcane
Oh, you're saying Hickman may have illegally pledged to ensure he gets hired. OK, that makes sense. It's still stupid, but it makes sense.
It would make much sense if the revenues were under the necessary amount. But since they will go way beyond this 700k, it makes not really sense. By pledging for him self he would lose a $1000 and achieved nothing.
Not that really the $1000 is that worth. And if he really wanted to write a book for UA then he would be not even a stretch goal. Think even as he is a strech goal, if someone wants to have his book, he / she / it has to buy it ($5 digital version), despite being a backer for UA.
He as a stretch goal is to motivation for backers to pledge more money. And i doubt that it really works, but the Lizardmen in my opinion do work.

So 48h to go. Can Otherside make another $100k or even above the $200k.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whoops, new update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1154462

Gaining Experience

We've learned a lot during this Kickstarter, that's for sure. None of us had run a Kickstarter campaign at anything close to this scale. It's been a joyous ride, humbling, and enlightening. We've grown during this time, learned new things, and have developed a relationship with our fans. We have been reminded, everyday, why we started this incredible adventure. Inspired to create the most amazing game we can.

As the Avatar, you too will learn from your successes and failures. While you may have humble beginnings, starting out with no more than the clothes on your back, it won't be long before your abilities will begin to grow. How this happens will depend entirely upon how you approach the game, what your goals are, and what kind of hero you want to be.

Over the course of your adventure you will be able to shape your character in almost any way you like. Underworld Ascendant will have a multitude of different skills and perks you can learn. Become a master of hand-to-hand combat; learn how to sneak through the shadows unseen; tap into the arcane arts to learn powerful magics; or any mix of these. Any direction you choose will see your character become a reflection of the type of player you want to be.

Dungeons and Dire Berries

Soon we will be in the final 24 hours of our campaign. Ready for the Dungeons and Dire Berries Challenge?!?

Starting Thursday, March 5th, at 9am EST, for every $10,000 that gets added to our pledge total from then till the end of our Kickstarter campaign, we will give all Kickstarter backers one of the famed Dire Berries. These berries, which grow on the strange swamp willows of the Dire Grove, give those who eat them a modicum of healing and a boost to energy. Used by wizards and warrior alike to prepare themselves for battle, these berries are coveted throughout the Stygian Abyss.

In addition, starting at noon EST, our very own Chris Seigel will be running a MUD-like dungeon crawl in the Comments section of our Kickstarter page. All backers are invited to join us for this old-school romp as Chris GM’s you all on a fun text adventure of tricks, puzzles and danger. Backers can join in and drop out any time during the event, no need to be present for it's entirety!

Chris' dungeon, The Labyrinth of Dreams, holds great treasure that will be shared with the entire community if it is found. If the players succeed in reaching the end of the dungeon and overcoming the final obstacle bt 9pm EST, they will uncover the lost Chalice of Cabirus, a magical artifact which grants any who drink from it a temporary increase in knowledge of the Stygian Abyss! If the community finds the chalice during Chris' adventure, all Kickstarter backers will be given this in-game, Kickstarter exclusive item!

At least they're having fun with this stuff.

Weasel
Starting Thursday, March 5th, at 9am EST, for every $10,000 that gets added to our pledge total from then till the end of our Kickstarter campaign, we will give all Kickstarter backers one of the famed Dire Berries. These berries, which grow on the strange swamp willows of the Dire Grove, give those who eat them a modicum of healing and a boost to energy. Used by wizards and warrior alike to prepare themselves for battle, these berries are coveted throughout the Stygian Abyss.
they will uncover the lost Chalice of Cabirus, a magical artifact which grants any who drink from it a temporary increase in knowledge of the Stygian Abyss! If the community finds the chalice during Chris' adventure, all Kickstarter backers will be given this in-game, Kickstarter exclusive item!

Don't even have the strength to troll about this shit any longer. I guess the one thing the campaign needed was more ks exclusive items. Hope they throw in a ks exclusive bag of holding if they're going to use a limited inventory system.

:negative:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
they will uncover the lost Chalice of Cabirus, a magical artifact which grants any who drink from it a temporary increase in knowledge of the Stygian Abyss! If the community finds the chalice during Chris' adventure, all Kickstarter backers will be given this in-game, Kickstarter exclusive item!

Don't even have the strength to troll about this shit any longer. I guess the one thing the campaign needed was more ks exclusive items. Hope they throw in a ks exclusive bag of holding if they're going to use a limited inventory system.

:negative:

Check out the $75 tier. :troll:

(I think I'll make a request on their forums asking for an "exclusive-less" mode)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
if they're going to use a limited inventory system.

Even if they had been planning for that, I doubt it would be possible to have a reasonably low limit now. There are already over 20 KS-exclusive items, and god knows how much pre-order and promotional stuff yet to come.

Unless they're going for "weight limited" and all the KS items are weightless.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Also in the last update:

We have chosen the slogan for the Kickstarter Exclusive version of the Underworld Ascendant T-shirt. We had lots of awesome entries posted into our forums, and among the finalists were Browncoat Jayson, h4pwn, myerlon and 7th-Key to name a few. But, ultimately there can be only one winner:

"Kickstarter Backer" (written in runes) - by Sark

Behold the creative power of crowdsourcing!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
WHAT THE FUCK

Did they really just send me a message asking me to raise my pledge from $20? I was planning to anyway, but come on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom