Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Underworld Ascendant Alpha Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; Sam Luangkhot; Underworld Ascendant

The Underworld Ascendant backer alpha was originally supposed to come out during E3. While we did get to see the alpha build in action on Alienware's E3 stream, that release date turned out to be fabulously optimistic. It's finally out now though, after two weeks of much-needed additional polish. The build consists of two levels, the tutorial level we saw at PAX East earlier this year and the new open-ended cavern level from E3. OtherSide's release announcement has all the details. Here's an excerpt:

Welcome to the Underworld Ascendant Backer Alpha build!

We’re excited to share the build with you and get your thoughts, suggestions and feedback. There is still plenty of time to have an impact in a number of areas of the game, particularly around moment-to-moment game play, world interactions and system simulations. We will review all feedback that you share with us, whether via the survey (linked in game), bug reports or posts on these forums. Please make an effort to keep your feedback detailed and constructive as that will be much more useful and actionable for us.

Please keep in mind that this is an Alpha and the build is representative of an unfinished game. Is it unpolished, buggy, and you might encounter some instability (i.e., game crashes). That’s normal for a game like UA at this point. We’ve been spending a lot of time getting things into the game and now our focus is getting those things working well and working well together.

At OtherSide, we pride ourselves on the breadth of experience and talent at the studio. As a small team of 14, we are striving to deliver a quality game that fits our size and stature. As a result, this is not a AAA game in scope or scale. That said, our goal with UA is to push depth of gameplay variety and we hope it provides a unique array of playstyle options and deeper world interactions. We think you all are aware of that, but it seemed worth repeating.

For the last few months, we’ve been focusing on getting systems, abilities, items, etc in the game and now we’re focused on bug-fixing, tuning, polishing and getting all of the systems working well together. Please pardon our dust!

We are looking forward to your feedback. Keep in mind that it’s a lot easier for us to understand and parse well-thought out and articulated feedback. In particular, constructive criticism and respectful argumentation are greatly appreciated. All feedback will be read thoroughly.

Only EXPLORER backers and above ($50+) will have access to the Backer Alpha build.

To download, please redeem the Steam code provided on the Digital Downloads page on your BackerKit. Backers who had access to the Pre-Alpha Build will not need a new code as we will update the current app on Steam to the Backer Alpha Build.

Your feedback is critical to us at this stage, so once you have finished playing the Alpha, please fill out this survey.

This build includes:

PLUTO’S GATE – this is our post-intro “un-training level,” designed by Cabirus to ease your entrance to The Stygian Abyss. This is an updated and revised version of the area played at PAX East.

UPPER EREBUS – this is a level from later in the game with a variety of enemies and challenges. This is an updated version of the area that was playable at E3.
    Ascendant has gotten more negative previews since E3, so hopefully the postponed alpha translates to a postponed final release date. The game is starting to look fun, but I still doubt three months are going to be enough to bring it to the finish line.

• Funny x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. grimace Learned

grimace
    Parrots:
    Steam Early Access launch in 3 months?

^ Top  
  3. Agame Learned

Agame
    Parrots:
    Should be the sub title for the game!

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Parrots:
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Here is gameplay footage in case you're not reading the other thread:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'll go make a video of this tomorrow and give my thoughts and whatever.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Immortal Arcane

Immortal
    Parrots:
    This looks like a tech demo for a Asset Store Plugin.. Except it's 60 minutes instead of 2..

Is anyone here unironically excited to play this?

• Edgy x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Infinitron should you just post a link to the survey that is meant only for $50+ backers?
    It may be out in the wild anyway, but still.

^ Top  
  9. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Skimmed through most of the video, the dark setting looks good and hides most of the iffy textures and Warcraft ascetics so at least that looks okish
    The neon light magics and later sections are not my style at all and definitely take away from the look of the game, why try to go realistic with the lighting to have that neon rave final section?
    The gameplay looks... clunky nothing seems polished at all and seemed they had no combat encounters to speak of, would have liked to see if at least they had tweaked that but no such luck
    Finally giving up the game looks decidely mediocre, lacking any sort of personality or character which is frankly astounding for a supposedly Underworld game, I mean how hard could it be to just put some classic monsters, some nice dungeon design, the classic rune magic from the games and voila
    The thing that made the Underworld setting memorable was in part it’s straightforward approach to dungeons, fighting, questing and the Stygian Abyss was a memorable place with well designed levels and denizens not glowing eye skeletons, mushroom people and technorave magic
    Oh well, didn’t expect much anyway... another lameass Kickstarter which disappoints
    Bloodstained, System Shock 3 and Shenmue 3 to go...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. taxalot I request a spice shipment immediately. Patron

taxalot
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    This looks like a game I should review.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    Parrots:
    am i halucinating or this video starts with pedator helios laptop wallpaper ?

also its too dark

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    ^ Top  
  12. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    This looks like shit...

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Isn't Bloodstained already out?

EDIT: Wait, that is a bonus game that was a KS stretch goal. The main game is still to be released.

^ Top  
  14. MrBuzzKill Savant

MrBuzzKill
    Parrots:
    Is anyone else butthurt that they're using ready-made assets to make "big" games like this? I mean, I'd rather they made their own unique tiles and other repeatables.

^ Top  
  15. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Oh and that constant crackling of fire from torches is super annoying

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Nyast Learned

Nyast
    Parrots:
    What makes you think they used stock assets instead of custom ones ? Did they ever hint at doing this ?

^ Top  
  17. Agame Learned

Agame
    Parrots:
    Yea that sound drove me nuts and I was just skipping through the video quickly... I guess they are trying to create a sound cue that its a usable flame nearby but my god its so loud and annoying.

^ Top  
  18. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Plus fire doesn’t sound like that at all... you might get a crackle or a pop here but it is mostly a soft hissing sound like a whisper

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Agame Learned

Agame
    Parrots:
    Probably someone who has never lived in a house with a fireplace and just grabbed a clip online somewhere, hey thats what fire sounds like right?

^ Top  
  20. Sonus Educated

Sonus
    Parrots:
    The torches are just a burning stick of wood? No chemical or greasy coating, treatment, or wrapping?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Well turns out I won't be trying this out after all as I can't rebind movement to my mouse. It's the only way I can play 1st-person style games.

Oh well, I'll just have a few months to wait for the final polished release...
    Show Spoiler
    :troll:

• :( :( x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. HoboForEternity Arcane

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    soo umm any hope for this?

• No No x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Parrots:
    Well at least this got me replaying Arx Fatalis after sooo many years, the Arx Libertatis mod is damn great and the game looks fantastic in higher resolutions
    Hell I would take a remake of this over almost any game but Stalker 2

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So I'm uploading my video right now, and there's actually a lot of substance to this Alpha that I didn't immediately realize upon recording my first video. There's actually a few different 'missions' in Pluto's Gate (which I've only recorded the first, which took me probably 40 minutes or so). There seems to be way more after that (which I didn't know until I said farewell at the end of my video lol). I also checked out Upper Erebus (for like a second) before hitting the 'Go back to Malchor' or whatever it's called, button, and there's like an entire town that's built and fleshed out already but isn't optimized and still a bit buggy (in fact, they tell you not to go there, but the gate's still open lol). There's talking NPC's, trading, quest boards, etc. Even a glimpse at the V1 lizard man design from the poll on the UA forums. I'll go speedrun past the 1st mission and do a part 2/3/etc. of Pluto's Gate after I upload this video and other stuff. Then I'll do Upper Erebus. Until then, sorry for being late with this, been a little busy.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Nekot-The-Brave Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nekot-The-Brave
    Parrots:
    Finished up uploading/processing my video. Wasn't able to prop surf as well as I'd like to in the game, but I guess that's expected now.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)