Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Underwhelmed by Fallout :(

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
A settled tribe living in tents isn't logical.

People reverting to a primitive state, while living near more civilized humans doesn't make sense either.

I have a question guys. Has anyone tried to make a "Proper Fallout Sequel" by removing the crap from Fallout 2 and then knitting it back together, with additional material? Sounds like something someone might have attemtped, with these arguments over the years.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Whats wrong with real life weapons? Fallout Timeline has split from ours in mid fifties so anything older than M-16 is valid there; and as to weapons Mossins, Mausers and Enfields are still popular among gun collectors the firearms are very solid and long living objects provided they are not left in the puddles of water and even then:

They can still shot provided they are not modern l1bruls designed plastic toys.

They weren't in the first game world.

Sykar

Arcane
People reverting to a primitive state, while living near more civilized humans doesn't make sense either.

I have a question guys. Has anyone tried to make a "Proper Fallout Sequel" by removing the crap from Fallout 2 and then knitting it back together, with additional material? Sounds like something someone might have attemtped, with these arguments over the years.

Fallout 2 is a proper sequel.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It'll be great when Underrail is released and Fallout can be relegated to the dustbins of antiquity, an experimental curiosity.

You are right. Let’s throw away the old so that we can have the new. I can’t wait to see the next great novel be released so that we can throw “Crime and Punishment” in the past as an experimental curiosity. What about the “Monalisa”? I’m sick and tired of that stupid relic! Those ancient movies… what about this “The Seventh Seal”? I tried to watch that stupid movie, but I’m bored to tears. You are going to the dustbin, your relic.

You came across as a shallow person, Roguey.

Sykar

Arcane
In your opinion.

Of course, what else? Do I really have to always write now "in my opinion"? Seriously? I don't constantly nitpick such shit on your subjective posts for good reason, since I give you the benefit of a doubt that you are smart enough to realize that you are just stating your own, but I can start with it if you wish it.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Of course, what else? Do I really have to always write now "in my opinion"? Seriously? It's not like I constantly nitpick such shit on your subjective posts, but I can start with it if you wish it.

Why are you telling me this crap?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They weren't in the first game world.

Desert Eagle and Mauser say Hello; and this can be easily turned into saying that Devs lacked zionbux for proper licenses (like they did for half of weapons in W2) and that fact that first part lacked good boomsticks and everybody used the Turboplasma cause there were no good endgame weapons for small guns and heavies skills anyway.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Desert Eagle says Hello; and this can be easily turned into saying that Devs lacked zionbux for proper licenses (like they did for half of weapons in W2) and that fact that first part lacked good broomsticks and everybody used the Turboplasma anyway.

Well you got it in Fallout 2 so enjoy. :)

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
This thread and all this epic butthurt.

:lol:

Ok, Gnidrologist, I’m convinced. The evidence is overwhelming. FO2 is a proper sequel to FO1. Both games have wacky stuff, mature themes, C&C, etc. The only difference is that FO2 has so much more stuff than FO1 (including the wacky stuff) that the main arc is dissociated from the rest of the game. The truth is that FO1 was never meant to be a serious game. I was deluding myself, coloring my memories. I came to believe in an idealization of FO1 because I don’t appreciate much the wacky stuff. I was wrong. Considerations about setting in crazy games like FO1 and FO2 are pointless.

One thing that is quite surprising to me is how much FO1 and FO2 are more influenced by Wasteland silliness than I initially thought, and how FNV is so much more mature in comparison. FNV is so much underrated due to its FPS engine. It’s a damn shame.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I didn't play it all that long but didn't FNV have Roman larpers (as one of the major factions in the game no less), space ghouls, tranny supermutant and the option to make a robot into a town sheriff? I like FPS genre (and some noteworthy FPS/RPG hybrids like Deus Ex, Bloodlines, SS etc.) but FNV/Fallout 3 combat gameplay really doesn't do it for me (I never liked console shooters so there's that I guess), I also felt attributes/skills/perks didn't have enough effect on my character (you could take them out and I would barely notice the difference).

I think it's overrated around here if anything due to Codex love for Obsidian writing, C&C, hiking simulators and surprisingly high tolerance for Bethesduh gameplay/engine.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You are right. Let’s throw away the old so that we can have the new. I can’t wait to see the next great novel be released so that we can throw “Crime and Punishment” in the past as an experimental curiosity. What about the “Monalisa”? I’m sick and tired of that stupid relic! Those ancient movies… what about this “The Seventh Seal”? I tried to watch that stupid movie, but I’m bored to tears. You are going to the dustbin, your relic.

You came across as a shallow person, Roguey.

It's okay to throw away old things when they can be described as the least-worst at what they do.

hiver

FNV is a spinoff. So not relevant for this discussion.

There were only two real Fallout games made.
Van Buren would have been josh sawyer spinoff too if it ever got made.

Fallout 2 is a great sequel and a proper Fallout game despite those small inconsequential additions that primarily served to deepen the game. Filler but it was good filler. Atleast i got to laugh sometimes instead of just killing everything in yet another random encounter.
The gameplay, the quests, locations, C&C and all that really matters is of course - pure FEV.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Who cares whether some weapons are "RL" or not. Really doesn't matter.
I care. It really matters.

What did matter is that most weapons are more or less obsolete at any given time, since for every type there was a clear superior weapon.
Who cares if these weapons were useful or not. Really doesn't matter.

It was worst for Lasers because they though that it was a great idea to give armor the highest DR against laser weapons, making a plasma weapon of similar caliber always a preferable choice since DR against plasma was significantly lower. Just as bad as the messed up ammunition modifiers, which often did not even work.
As I have said before - the loss of GURPS broke Fallout's combat.

pippin

The only difference is that FO2 has so much more stuff than FO1 (including the wacky stuff) that the main arc is dissociated from the rest of the game.

Pretty much this. FO2 felt for me like a collection of scenarios rather than one big game. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the charm of the original Fallout was lost.

I didn't play it all that long but didn't FNV have Roman larpers (as one of the major factions in the game no less), space ghouls, tranny supermutant and the option to make a robot into a town sheriff?

That was the least crazy stuff to be found in Van Buren, though. I think I've mentioned it before, but Van Buren was supposed to have a sect of amazons with a background of psychedelic misandry.
NV was indeed more "mature" than 1 or 2, and Caesar's legion was in fact a huge scam brought by Caesar himself. I believe he mentions somewhere that one of his biggest fears was being exposed as a big fraud.

Sykar

Arcane
Oh my God, they killed Kenny! You bastards!

It wasn't me:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Kenny_(Fallout)

Pretty much this. FO2 felt for me like a collection of scenarios rather than one big game. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the charm of the original Fallout was lost.

That was the least crazy stuff to be found in Van Buren, though. I think I've mentioned it before, but Van Buren was supposed to have a sect of amazons with a background of psychedelic misandry.
NV was indeed more "mature" than 1 or 2, and Caesar's legion was in fact a huge scam brought by Caesar himself. I believe he mentions somewhere that one of his biggest fears was being exposed as a big fraud.

They made quite an effort to connect these cities through the story so they felt connected enough to me.

Arsene Lupin

Novice
FO2 felt for me like a collection of scenarios rather than one big game. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but the charm of the original Fallout was lost.

Not gonna lie, I love that style of RPG designs. Most main quests in RPGs follow the exact same tropes, so I always have more fun with the mini-module approach. That was the only thing that redeemed Dragon Age 2 for me, and one of the main reasons I loved Mass Effect 2, Dragon Quest VI, Romancing SaGa, etc., etc.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Neither F1 or F2 were really focused around main quest. For most of the game you didn't care about water chip or geck and and there are hardly any quests designed around finding them. Their sole purpose if to make protag getting of his ass and move from location to location in search for clues. Not to mention that you find the solution to water problem not even half way through the game by ordering water merchants to supply Arroyo and the rest of the ''main quest'' is finding and killing muties.

As for NV being mature hahaohwow.jpg. It has more wacky stuff than even F2 and i'm not probably not even 1/3d into the game.
Ghoulish sect led by glowing ghoul named Bright (hurr durr), where they have a human, who think he's a ghoul and speaks in grumpy ghoulish voice.
Not to mention you help fueling their rockets with uranium or some shit found in toy rockets at the silly DIno Dinky shopkeeper.
Silly robots pretending to be cowboys, one of which you can make a sheriff of a town.
A gang who dress and act like elvises, with their leader being genuine incarnation of The King himself.
A weirdo high society club dabbling in cannibalism.
Gang larping ancient romans and a gang larping mongols.
The whole Nypton saga seemed immature and forced with the only goal to get reaction out of the player by making the remaining townspeople such a caricaturic hyperbola of decadent degenerates that was obviously aimed to make you ''damn, they had it coming to them'' and even feel stupid if you killed Vulpes in righteous rage.
Convincing female cowboy ghoul to become a prostitute. Making a sexbot and ''How are you today? Santiago is fabulous!''.

And i'm fine with all that. I think serious themes and humor is balanced well in NV. It only lacks better writing. It surely isn't more mature than F2 though.

pippin

iirc if you make those merchants bring water to vault 13, it gets invaded and people dies. also i think it had something to do with mutants invading other towns as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom