Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Undertale - friendship/genocide RPG

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished this recently. The game has some clever and funny stuff (although the humour treads the thin line between funny and annoying a lot), but it started to drag for me after 6+ hours. Maybe it is better for people who played console RPGs in their childhood, as a sort of nostalgia trip with a twist? I did play a few of those, but only at a later age (20+). I do appreciate the various routes you can take and the amount of plot-based C&C, but the narrative never grabbed me that much, so I kind of did not care for the consequences of my choices. I do not regret playing it, but I am kind of glad it is over.

t;dr: Not sure if I like it or not.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think a big part of what I liked about Undertale was the attention to small details; things like being able to use your starting equipment as consumables (the bandages as a healing item or the stick to 'defeat' dog type enemies), the spiders remembering if you bought stuff at the beginning, all sorts of stuff you can do with Undyne like dump out all the water right in front of her or enrage her by failing the fight on purpose, various secret passages, killing the snowman or ruining the candy, dead monsters not appearing in towns later on, Metatron bending over backwards to not let you suicide on him, etc. The only other game I can think of with this kind of attention to detail would be Nethack.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah. There is a nice clip of his life somewhere. Tiny TV, always working or drunk or depressed.

Truly the Anno of vidya.

Falksi

Arcane
Finished this recently. The game has some clever and funny stuff (although the humour treads the thin line between funny and annoying a lot), but it started to drag for me after 6+ hours. Maybe it is better for people who played console RPGs in their childhood, as a sort of nostalgia trip with a twist? I did play a few of those, but only at a later age (20+). I do appreciate the various routes you can take and the amount of plot-based C&C, but the narrative never grabbed me that much, so I kind of did not care for the consequences of my choices. I do not regret playing it, but I am kind of glad it is over.

I'm a console RPG-er from the era which Undertale parodies, and have to say that I'm pretty much of the same opinion that you are.

Whilst it did some very clever, amusing, original & surprising things; as an overall experience it was actually quite dull & annoying at times.

There's no doubt it deserves kudos for attempting to do something different, and freshen things up. But it wouldn't half be nice if next time they included some fun gameplay next time too.

Gastrick

Cipher
Undertale was an awful game that had me indifferent the whole time to all the "emotional" and "funny" scenes. I killed all the characters trying to get the evil mode but it stayed on neutral because you have to grind as well apparently.
The game is like a linear JRPG but 100% of the strategy has been removed and it's instead bullethell minigames. At a lot of the parts I was less than indifferent but cringing instead.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Tried to like the game, it had some interesting ideas, but when I reached the moment when my PC, a young boy, has to flirt with/date a skeleton (if I wanted to stay on a pacifist path) I decided that too much degeneracy is too much.

I'd turn to genocide path and slaughter all those perverted creatures if combat system wasn't so utterly boring. So I moved on to other games.

What a freakin dissapointment.

Ash

Arcane

I'm a console RPG-er from the era which Undertale parodies, and have to say that I'm pretty much of the same opinion that you are.

Whilst it did some very clever, amusing, original & surprising things; as an overall experience it was actually quite dull & annoying at times.

There's no doubt it deserves kudos for attempting to do something different, and freshen things up. But it wouldn't half be nice if next time they included some fun gameplay next time too.
This has always been my suspicion, thanks for confirming.

It's a gimmick game without actual substance, and is also storyfag lameness. Impresses the retards simply because it does a few minor things differently to industry standards....which are often standard for a reason.

No thank you. If you want to do creative gimmicks and have it impress me, attach it to an actual game like everyone else with sense. Tons of great comprehensive games out there that throw in gimmicks for variety, to great effect. Why would I downgrade? I have standards.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
One of the best things about the Codex is that the majority of stalwarts on here can see through bullshit and gimmicks over substance. Honestly so refreshing to read posts from folk who see Undertale for what it is.

But I must say it utterly amazes me just how much gaming is now polluted with what I call "Firework Gamers", who enjoy watching there money go up in smoke on gimmicky trash which has no real substance. We all love a bit of "wow-factor" in our games, but the amount that shit games get away with just because they add a bit of that into the mix is criminal, Undertale a great example.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Tried to like the game, it had some interesting ideas, but when I reached the moment when my PC, a young boy, has to flirt with/date a skeleton (if I wanted to stay on a pacifist path) I decided that too much degeneracy is too much.

I'd turn to genocide path and slaughter all those perverted creatures if combat system wasn't so utterly boring. So I moved on to other games.

What a freakin dissapointment.
Bear sex, remember?

You do realize that all of that is rather point-in-cheek and childish?

I personally enjoyed Undertale, but I never played it but watched a let's play, so maybe the gameplay is ass. It's a pretty cool meta-story otherwise and elegantly made. The wierd characters help it a lot and I always found them endearing in this specific, very odd setting.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bear sex, remember?
Haven't played BG3 yet, but from what I understand druid is just one of the potential romantic interests, easily avoidable. And while he may change into a bear, in his main form he is a human.

Flirting with/dating with a skeleton in Undertale is inevitable if you wish to stay on the 'pacifist path'. Your childish chacter must do it, or the game will scold you for spilling blood of innocents.
You do realize that all of that is rather point-in-cheek and childish?
That's why I used the term 'normalizing'. No matter how you frame it, this segment is jarring.
I personally enjoyed Undertale, but I never played it but watched a let's play, so maybe the gameplay is ass.
Yup it is. If you don't go the pacifist route, which turns every confrontation into a puzzle in which you're guessing which creature reacts to which non-violent 'attack', you just kill crittets in most boring jrpg combat ever.
It's a pretty cool meta-story otherwise and elegantly made. The wierd characters help it a lot and I always found them endearing in this specific, very odd setting.
Cool, but the game obviously does strange things to people's brains, as evidenced by its cringworthy fanbase.

Cool, but the game obviously does strange things to people's brains, as evidenced by its cringworthy fanbase.
No, the game just appeals to that group because it has the right amount of cute edginess to attract the 15-16 demographic, who are also horny and know how to operate a deviantart account. Result = skeleton tumblr sexyman. Same as Sonic, Homestuck and FNAF.

lightbane

Arcane
Wasn't there a point early in the game where your main character (a kid) is also flirting with the anthropomorphic cow mother she has? And then you kill her?
:hmmm:
Isn't it a bit late to criticize Undertale now? And with these retarded takes to boot? This one is an optional (and not really optional) thing you can do, but probably shouldn't, and it's played for laughs. Same with the skeleton dating that's is not even a proper date.
Blame the retarded fanbase that comes from Homestuck, if anything, and the pronoun usage, which got worse in the sequel. Or how it's the sum of copied concepts from better games.

Gaydur Gate is worse because the pizza is much more present and unavoidable than in this game.
I hope you never touch Mother 3, as you'll see magical fairy not-trannies that may or may not be molesters played for laughs.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

This has always been my suspicion, thanks for confirming.

It's a gimmick game without actual substance, and is also storyfag lameness. Impresses the retards simply because it does a few minor things differently to industry standards....which are often standard for a reason.

No thank you. If you want to do creative gimmicks and have it impress me, attach it to an actual game like everyone else with sense. Tons of great comprehensive games out there that throw in gimmicks for variety, to great effect. Why would I downgrade? I have standards.
As far as I am concerned, just wanted to add that after I went back to the game, backtracked to finish up side quests, etc. and went back to get the "true" ending, my opinion on the game has changed significantly for the better.

Looking back at it now, I have very fond memories and I would recommend the game if you can appreciate quirky humor (since that's the majority of the appeal).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom