Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #37: The Institute of Tchort, and other upcoming updates

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

Today's update to the Underrail dev log describes in thorough detail what Styg has planned for the game's next version. This includes a rebalancing of the psi system, and a rather lavish new location called The Institute of Tchort. Check it out:

Hey guys. The team's working hard on the new areas and quests which are all related to the next step in the main story line - the Institute of Tchort. Here are some teaser screenshots:

One major mechanical change I made since the last update is concerning the psi pool. Instead of functioning like a "mana" resource, the psi was changed to more of pre-alpha state when it functioned like an "energy" resource. Every character with Psi Empathy feat now has 100 psi points and regenerates 20 points per turn (or per 5 seconds in real time). Psi boosters now instantly restore 75 psi.

These changes were done for two reasons which tie into the same problem. One - they were meant to make the psi cost more relevant when choosing what to invoke. The cost of the psi abilities have been re-balanced accordingly - those abilities that were meant to be used as primary attacks, such as neural overload, cryokinesis and electrokinesis, have a low cost and can be spammed without running out of psi. However, those high impact abilities, such as bilocation and cryostasis can run you out of psi quickly.

The second reason, which is related to the first one, is to curb the multi-disciplined psi build. As it stands in the release version, builds that go for full psi can generally invest into all three schools of psi without much trouble because they all rely on the same base stat and also share a number of beneficial feats. This grants the player access to a large amount of crowd-control and AoE abilities that they can invoke in short 1-2 turn burst which makes most encounters a breeze. Now, however, the limited psi pool will keep that in check. You will still be able to spec in all the schools if you wish, but you won't be able to bring down the full power of all of them at the same time.

Another happy consequence of this change is that the psi builds will have easier time in early game because they won't have to worry about psi boosters as much. Now keep in mind that the numbers stated above are not set in stone. We haven't still done any extensive testing of this change so tweaks are likely to happen. Also, I'll probably introduce a couple of feats in the future that will allow the player to slightly expand the psi pool or increase the psi regeneration.

In other news, I've been working on various things related to crafting. Most of the planned components have been added to the standard blueprints. While I'll be adding more components before the game is released as well as some utility and consumable blueprints, there are no plans to add more general blueprints, such as those for a new type of weapon or armor. Keep in in mind that all the crafting stuff added here is crafting-only; that is - it does not appear in randomly generated loot. Also, most of these changes are not retroactive, so already obtained items in running games will be mostly unchanged.​

The full update has the complete list of improvements planned for the next release, as well as a few more screenshots.

hiver

Looks super great.

I dont want to jinx it but... man... looks like true F...

NO!, no, no, no... Anyone knows whats the writing and quest - C&C design like?
Downloading demo!

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Good good, more crafting, more areas, and an ability to dissassemble items for parts! Styg truly is a God amongst men!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
1049.gif

torpid

Liturgist
The art just keep getting better. I can't wait till they redo some of the earlier areas to bring them in line with the latest additions.

I haven't played a psi-using character yet--mostly just fooling around with stealth+traps and other such trolling. I'm now paralyzed by indecision: do I keep playing to experience all the goodness that's already in the game, or do I wait until it's done, which shouldn't be long now?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow those screens shots.

I always had to tell people you didn't notice the poor art when actually playing, but damn those look good. No need any more.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ReBALANCING? But it's not an mmo, it doesn't need balance. Trust infinitron to call them improvements, the Sawyerite. SOON ALL DEVS WILL BE TRYING TO REMOVE FUN WITH BALANCE!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
These are literally the only news updates I give even the tiniest fraction of a shit about, HUP! with the sign—

prestyge.png

torpid

Liturgist
in this game, you still walk upright while crawling through vents? :)

Post-apocalyptic ventilation shafts, in an underground setting. With the amount of toxic fumes and particles in the air it totally makes sense to build seven-foot-high vents.

(Okay the actual reason is http://www.underrail.com/index.php?...&id=88:ventilation&catid=43:dev-log&Itemid=61)
One technical limitation is that I cannot really afford to produce all the separate crawling animations for all the actions and weapon/armor variations, etc. So the character will visually appear to be standing even when inside the ventilation ducts. I think this is acceptable compromise considering how much this gameplay element will be adding to the game.

Maybe they'll change it during the polishing phase? It's not that important, imo. Plus I don't want to see my crawling character get bit in the ass by a rathound. Disgusting creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Like how so much effort has gone into making each area look unique, and yet still just as gritty as the last. Can't wait.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
As much as the later areas in the game look awesome, the initial zones needs some work to look on par, and not only visually but in terms of content.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just can't wait for it to be released. I really want to play the final version, and I also want to see the inevitable posts in a week about how people always hated the game and can't understand why it's so hyped.

bonescraper

Fuck this game. When it's going to be released? Thursday, 2069?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom