Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #38: Final Early Access update, game to be released by summer

GloomFrost

Arcane
inXile were collecting money for a Torment clone but still decided to make turn based combat. Just saying.
And? It's universally agreed that Torment had shit combat. People pledging to a Torment clone are far less likely to care about combat than people pledging to a BG/IWD clone.
:) You obviously do not remember or havent seen a shitstorm on inXile forums and people wanting their money back.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
inXile were collecting money for a Torment clone but still decided to make turn based combat. Just saying.
And? It's universally agreed that Torment had shit combat. People pledging to a Torment clone are far less likely to care about combat than people pledging to a BG/IWD clone.
:) You obviously do not remember or havent seen a shitstorm on inXile forums and people wanting their money back.
I absolutely do remember it. It was still a pretty small amount of backers, however, with a much larger percentage of backers rolling their eyes because the idea that not liking combat in a Torment game could somehow be a dealbreaker was ridiculous. The shitstorm would have been magnitudes worse for PoE, because a lot more people played the BG and IWD games specifically for the combat.

valcik

Arcane
I believe it was a little of both. But we were very very vocal that we would love to see this game as turn based.
Yup.

In the beginning Styg created Timelapse: Vertigo. Now it was formless and empty, RTwP combat was over surface of the deep, and the spirit of Styg was hovering over RPG Codex.

And Styg said, „Let there be TB combat,” and there was TB combat. Styg saw that the TB combat was good, and he separated the TB combat from the RTwP.

torpid

Liturgist
The talk on the first page about "being Joshed" is basically saying that Underrail is to Fallout what PoE is to the IE games, and is paving the way for the inevitable thread. You know itz coming!

Well, iirc Underrail started life as real time but was changed to turn based because obviously thats the only proper way to build an rpg. Shame Josh didn't understand that, otherwise maybe PoE would have a chance of competing with the sheer awesome that is Underrail. The decision to stick with rtwp was pure idiocy but those are the cards I guess.

The point is that PoE really is meant to be an IE clone, or at least homage--a rationalized version of the IE games (rationalized according to Josh). That's why, as other posters have said, it's a RTwP game and there was little chance of it ever being turn-based. Meanwhile Underrail, while influenced by Fallout, is not a Fallout clone or just a Sawyerized Fallout. Hell, the fact that Styg originally designed it to be RTwP--in other words, not like FO--reinforces that.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
It's the Codex, someone's going to make a trollish comparison thread.
Steam beat them to it a long time ago. I bet codexers can't surpass the sheer ridiculousness of this.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/250520/discussions/0/35221031548290112/
Best/worst thing is, he's probably serious :D

This is rather amusing, but...

Making that comparison is like a European who can't tell the difference between a New York and Texan accent. The game's obviously inspired in part by Fallout but it couldn't be more different in almost every important (mechanical) way.

Considering the game is inspired by, and is probably the closest thing we have/ may ever get, to a 'real' Fallout 3, wouldn't it actually be a good idea to compare it to F1 & 2? I mean at least have a critical discussion about it rather than the above quoted link style of derp...

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
My entire point was that I don't personally believe Underrail has enough in common, beyond the most superficial level, to make any comparisons to Fallout.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's a post apocalyptic RPG inspired by Fallout. Inspired doesn't mean it's a clone though, just that Fallout is probably one of many inspirations that gave Styg the idea for this game.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a post apocalyptic RPG inspired by Fallout. Inspired doesn't mean it's a clone though, just that Fallout is probably one of many inspirations that gave Styg the idea for this game.

Yeah, homie. I feel like I covered that when I said "inspired by".

Diggfinger

Arcane
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

Indie masterpiece Underrail received its final Early Access update last week, adding the Institute of Tchort to the game world, along with a host of other improvements. The accompanying development blog update on the game's website has the changelog, along with a single new screenshot:

It won't be long now! The game's About page has been quietly amended to note that its final release date is now the "first half of 2015", and the new update says it'll be ready "come summer", so I guess we're looking at a June release.

Good-luck and Godspeed to Styg getting it done!
I've spend a few hours with the demo and it seems awesome...first time I am getting hyped for a indie game.
Definitely digging the Fallout/Arcanum/SS2 vibes here. Dunno about NWN but then again I hardly played that.

Think I'm going to pick it up from Desura GOG once its released. Seems the easiest for getting it to work in Wine.

- Digg

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
CAST OFF YER OLD BELIEFS

WORSHIP STYG AND BE SAVED

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom