Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
what are the best snipers u guys found?

Should I go for REAPER or that other one with low AP

Also, what are the best enchancements to put on the sniper

Depends on what you want to do.

I put Scope + Tripod + Reloader. Lower criticals but way more hits.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Just beat Tchort with an assault rifle character that had a few sniper feats. I tried getting in close at first to use burst, but that didn't work due to all the tentacles ganging up on you as you approach. A sniper rifle with W2C ammo makes the fight very easy though. You can shot him from far away, only getting attacked by two tentacles in the process. I had by no means the best sniper rifle at this point and Tchort took 750-850 crits. The fight played out pretty anticlimactic in this way.

Overall I didn't like Deep Caverns when I compare it to what came before. It's just very tedious. I had to look up the solution to the mushroom forest, is it anywhere hinted at that you have to let the spore debuff stack?

What kind of armor did you have? Shield?

There is some vague information from an old guy but ... I never meet the guy in my playthrough. I read about it on Steam forum.

Metal armor and a generic 450 high frequency shield. Which tentacles spawn near the ladder is random I think. So you can reload a few times if you get a pair that hits you too hard.

Yep. Leather armor was my problem. Without infusion there is no way to survive the damage from the tentacles and I was pretty much stuck even with 2 tentacles. I noticed that even the Tchortists armor was good against the acid tentacle.

But my "build" was made for one purpose only - massive damage. Sniper for distance and AR on close range. And it worked well until this fight were you actually need good protection for a couple of turns.

I know there is an entire warehouse filled with metal armors but I cannot be arsed to backtrack again. At least I learned something for a future playthrough.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Looks like it's hard to build unarmed build as they get bonus damage for str and ap reduction for dex, so probably best build would be 10str/10dex/agi 8/con 3/per 3/will 3/int 3...unarmed glass cannon for lyef!
Wrong.

Unarmed is sick overpowered. 3 str/10 dex/8agi/3 con/3per/7 will/6int (for crafting) - pump first two stat points into dex, next into int to get crafting perks, and then from 16 on into agi or more dex (for crit and melee skill bonus - I'm deciding this tradeoff right now).

It's all about stacking feats and the skills force emission and telekinetic proxy. Nimble + Reckless + Opportunist + expose weakness + critical strikes + combo + vile weaponry + taste for blood + expertise + fancy footwork. Then, after that you can decide on what else to take (probably power management + skinner?), but the way that thing layers on damage...

It's fucking insane. You miss out on the damage bonus from str, but especially with bladed fists (which you should be using to take advantage of taste for blood + vile weaponry), you are going to be dropping anyone in no time. The only headache is heavily armored enemies (robots and bladelings and whatnot), but that's what expose weakness is for.

I don't know if this is the most powerful build in the game, but it's on the short list with heavy AR/sniper based on what I've tried out.

Yeah, good points. I was just looking at sledgehammer feats and like someone said in here, they are pretty horrible. I hope Styg works on those, and the pistol builds/feats which are pretty shit too but that's nothing new in games like this, the pistols are usually the shittiest weapons you can use as they have long tradition of being the bitches in any game. In UnderRail it takes long time for them to become even decent, and they don't really have any synergy feats with grenades, when SMGs have spec ops which lowers the cooldown for flashbangs by one. I think pistols would be better if the AP reduction from dex would be higher on dex 9-12, as now it takes a bit too long to get low enough AP for pistols/smgs, and while steadfast aim looks good on first look, the 6 str requirement just makes it pretty much utterly useless when you have very limited pool of attributes, if you go for 6 or 7 str, you're much better off with assault rifles or snipers.

Sneak-builds looks to be better off with knives and throwing weapons, or traps+crossbow as crossbow has great feats to work with traps, and naturally trapping is best done with sneaking.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
how have you built it?

Like this:

2924215051db6b1238c17ce8c4132485.jpg
and this

eaf4462fe5bdb04efeb13deaff6aad82.jpg

This need some explanation.
You need 10 Perception or you will miss much. Then you should decide what you need first - 10 Agi and Blitz, or 7 Dex and Quick Tinkering.
If you don't need 7 Int early (or at all, I picked it just for Skinner), then you can get it faster.
Bear in mind that Special Tactics require 6 Int, and Blitz 10 Agi and lvl 10, and Marksman - 6 Dex.
About feats - I already regret I picked Nimble, because I'm not sure it would be useful in end-game.
Besides that all obvious - Marksman and Aimed shot from start, Quick Tinkering, Special Tactics and Blitz asap, after this Deadly Snares Critical Power and Sharpshooter, maybe Elemental Bolts, Recklessness (?), Nimble (?), Skinner (?), Pack Rathound (?).

bati

Scholar
How important is persuasion, how often it comes after junkyard, can u miss critical staff with low persuasion?

Overall is useless. Drop it. Intimidation is way more important during the game.

Eh? I've seen way more important Persuade checks than intimidate. Does DC throw that many intimidate checks at you or is this stealth shilling for Yell?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So, about the fonts... I don't think that this game is supposed to be moddable but it's actually possible to replace fonts.

All fonts are located within /Underrail/Data/Fonts folder and they use default XNA SpriteFont format. So it's possible to generate a custom one using some XNA tools and use it to replace all default ones. It screws UI though.

As a proof of concept I generated a font based on standard Consolas and replaced some default fonts in my game (screens below):
Y56wB1j.png

EomZSwy.jpg

aQ6TF0C.png
If anyone wants to use it:
  1. Just in case make backup of the /Underrail/Data/Fonts folder
  2. Download archive with the custom fonts from here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21381676/CustomFonts.zip
  3. Unpack downloaded archive in the folder with the fonts and confirm replacements
  4. Run the game

Already better than the default :salute:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Hey who's autistic enough to have figured out whats the best caliber for an assault rifle?

IMO, 9mm ain't worth it if it puts you over 15 AP. There are many times when squeezing in a single shot is useful and you have only 15 AP left on the turn. Same reason why the bipod sucks.

As far as enhancements go, +2 burst and smart module seem the best.

Rapid reloader.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
How important is persuasion, how often it comes after junkyard, can u miss critical staff with low persuasion?

Overall is useless. Drop it. Intimidation is way more important during the game.

Eh? I've seen way more important Persuade checks than intimidate. Does DC throw that many intimidate checks at you or is this stealth shilling for Yell?

There is one single important Persuation check in DC (but I don't know what level you need for it).

This check is for joining the Institute camp but it's also optional because you can finish the area without their help.

SniperHF

Arcane
^Intimidation just seems more frequent.

Hey who's autistic enough to have figured out whats the best caliber for an assault rifle?

IMO, 9mm ain't worth it if it puts you over 15 AP. There are many times when squeezing in a single shot is useful and you have only 15 AP left on the turn. Same reason why the bipod sucks.

As far as enhancements go, +2 burst and smart module seem the best.

Pretty rare situation though when using concentrated fire + commando. Only time I ever fire singles anymore is when using adrenaline and I have a few extra AP or to finish off enemies that have no chance of killing me.

I use both 9mm and 8.6. Early game I preferred 7.62 to 8.6 but now mid game with those feats I like 8.6 or 9.

The unique 9mm you find from one of the gangs is pretty nice.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok guys what level are you generally when you hit the faceless in rail crossing?
Around 11-12.

So what areas am i missing?
Camp Hathor, Battery quest for Harold, caves nearby SGS that opens when you got TNT.

Sticking a rag in a bottle takes 10 tailoring? What in the world?
Be glad because before it was 20 tailoring, faggot.

and the pistol builds/feats which are pretty shit too but that's nothing new in games like this, the pistols are usually the shittiest weapons you can use
How about 6 K crits with pistols in alfa?

Zetor

Arcane
Pistols actually look like a legit endgame option as long as you build your character around them (being able to attack at least twice per turn with a magnum is probably the most important milestone -- how much dex investment do you need for that?). Having access to energy, fire, acid and heavy mechanical damage along with all those different kinds of debuff / bleed / explosion bullets sounds pretty good to me!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
3. What? Mapping is exactly the same before DC and in DC. Take a deep breath and calm down.

24003324562_780455c0a3_o.jpg

And this is the reason why manual mapping sucks.

Edit: Like I said before, I understand that this is a game and the developer can do whatever he wants with the maps. However if you don't implement an auto-map then I think the developer should try to create spaces which fit geographically because otherwise the locations will be confusing. I think this is a fair complain. It's not game breaking but let's say things could be improved.

Last edited:

Aenra

Styg (Small).png

Fuck GOG and their snail update pace.. bought it -again- :)

edit: what happened with uploading pics..?.. Trying again, lol

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

So why your preference for intimidation?

edit: I'm legit interested cause I haven't finished the game yet.

I got more Intimidation checks during my playthrough (at least double compared to the Persuation). The thing is all Social skills (Persuation, Intimidation and Mercantile) are under-developed and they are more like flavour skills.

Sometimes they help you gain more "gold" but they are quite un-necessary in order to finish the game. And they don't justify the skill points invested in them.

For example: I had 80 Mercantile before entering Deep Caverns which means I was swimming with money. But the entire economy is thrown out the window in DC therefore these points were simply wasted. I wish I had invested in Dodge/Biology/Chemistry instead of that shit.

bati

Scholar

So why your preference for intimidation?

edit: I'm legit interested cause I haven't finished the game yet.

I got more Intimidation checks during my playthrough (at least double compared to the Persuation).

Maybe it's my selective memory but I remember seeing more Persuasion checks, at least in situations where I felt they'd actually be useful. Ah well, maybe I'll take intimidate and let my AR do the persuasion checks.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
So persuasion or intimidate are necessary for some critical staff, zones or items?

Anyone can post examples of usefulness, important ones.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Also a few pics about arbalester and flavour.

So much control. Yakuza-chan lvl 11.
Used less traps then pistolero, zero molotovs (also he went without chemical pistol, I belive that's the reason).
9ac878bf2cc022557d092587050aa627.jpg

Rathound King is muh TRAPdealer!

421b29393ab617487f96800cab613b1a.jpg

Did you know that creatures can act like this? No doubt they hate each other.

750c8ca92c003451e4a31a2f3cbe3190.jpg

And this just lol.

9adf3ce07aa4ac723dbd144678be65c2.jpg

Last edited:

Nines

Learned
Anyone can post examples of usefulness, important ones.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...awakens-released.105387/page-100#post-4305227

I'm not really deep into the game myself, but so far I haven't encountered anything worthwhile.

For example, you can persuade a scientist and then ask him about mutants, but he won't tell you anything you can't learn from other sources, or you can get some info instead of paying 100 stygian coins (which is not really much). That kind of thing. There was a quest though, and in order to get it you have to persuade a guy, but 1) you will get only 1 exp point (if you're using the oddity system) 2) you can do everything that quest requires even without talking to the guy, you just don't get any exp.

ST'Ranger

Augur

I've never counted, but there are about equal opportunities to use Persuade and Intimidate - and for pretty different things much of the time. I personally prefer Persuade, but I generally take them both if I take either (a character with reasonable Will and at least some psi usage).

Aenra

Fuck GOG and their snail update pace.. bought it -again- :)
I thought GOG Galaxy was suppose to deal with that kind of situations.

They still don't..took them six days to reach the Steam version..and you know what happened next, lol? You had to uninstall UR and re-download it from scratch, because they could not into patching, easier i guess to just repackage it and fuck you very much. But in answer to your question regarding Galaxy? It's still 'in the works'. Someday in a 'Galaxy' far, far away, ex potato farm Polish workers will no longer need to re-package the already packaged patch from the developers. A wonder to behold.
Am not particularly pleased to admit the big pimp has won me over, but i have seriously had enough with them. You know how many months after its release D:OS's editor was bugged for GOG? Months! I had to torrent a steam rip to be able to play it. So fuck them :)

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, Per and Int are evenly spread out even before DC. E.g. the first few quests, you'll find more Int than Per. They're both skippable for any character.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Aslo I want to ask epeli - I got Hunter feat, but after that my damage didn't changed in inventory, and in combat statistic screen on C.
Is it a bug, or this feat worked like this?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom