Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tygrende

Arbiter
A release before Christmas would be financially unreasonable considering the vast majority of their customers are going to be gorging themselves on first week of November AAA game releases like the rest of the game industry.
Funny, I remember reading the exact same thing about the base game release.

Jezal_k23

Anyone got tips for a beginner, namely me? Should I play on hard? Should I use the oddity system? How not to cripple myself in my build?

Jinn

Arcane
Should I continue waiting for the expansion to play this? It's getting more and more difficult.

You could always start a game, get your character to level 14 or 15, then wait for the expansion to come out. Then you'll be primed and ready to hop right into it when it's released.

Should I play on hard? Should I use the oddity system?

I'd recommend starting on normal, then switching it to Hard once you're comfortable with everything. I would highly recommend the oddity system, as it emphasizes rewarding exploration and the avoidance of mobs you've encountered repeatedly before.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone got tips for a beginner, namely me? Should I play on hard? Should I use the oddity system? How not to cripple myself in my build?
Play on normal, the game is hard enough without playing on hard. I prefer the oddity system over the classic system personally because it made finding oddities really cool and doesn't make you feel inclined to kill things for XP. As for builds, it's important that you max and dump your base stats accordingly. You can take some more liberties with your skills, though will always be a few skills that you just max every time you level up. What kind of build are you looking to do? I can give you some ideas if you're interested.

Jezal_k23

I don't know what exactly to do right now. If left to do what I wanted, I'd probably do a pretty generic guns build. The psi abilities caught my eye though, I might be interested in doing some sort of psi build.

Jinn

Arcane
I don't know what exactly to do right now. If left to do what I wanted, I'd probably do a pretty generic guns build. The psi abilities caught my eye though, I might be interested in doing some sort of psi build.

Psi-monk with fist weapons and stealth is one of my favorite builds.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Psi-monk is a really powerful build with some well crafted gear.

I made a thought control sniper which was really stealthy and cool, it's my personal favorite build.

There is a heavy armor psion build which basically nukes shit from far away and has really high defense.

Those are the tree builds that immediately come to mind. You can also just look up Psi builds and see if any are interesting to you.

Jezal_k23

No zooming in? When I was playing at 1920x1080 everything looked too small, so I changed it to 1280x720, the only way I saw to zoom in. The game looks way better this way too.

Latelistener

Arcane
The problem is that everything becomes blurry af if you're using a resolution below default of your monitor.
I wish it had some kind of scaling option.

DbTc.jpg

EbTc.jpg

Jezal_k23

Decided to go with whatever feels right in regards to my build. Pretty generic so far, just Guns. Deciding on the fly. How high should I go with lockpicking, hacking and other skills? 100ish?

Also, doc doesn't want the nice doctor's coat I found. Fuck off doc.

r7tcr5Q.jpg

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
How high should I go with lockpicking, hacking and other skills? 100ish?
Just about. I think the highest hacking check in the game is about 130, and the highest lockpicking check in the game is 135. If you manage to get an item or two, these can be lowered by about 10 or 15 points. But yeah, 100 will be pretty good for both of them.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Keep in mind that once the expansion is out, there might be some new hacking/lockpicking checks that will go above the current highest. If you plan to play through the expansion with this build, it might be a good idea to save some skill points. For new players I tend to recommend maxing 8 skills, taking more requires some experience with the game.

http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3146.0

In the future, we also intend to address the problem of other non-combat skill scaling (such as social skills and hacking/lockpicking) by adding high level encounters/opportunities, so while currently it might not make sense to max out these skills, in the future it will have benefits.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
How high should I go with lockpicking, hacking and other skills? 100ish?
Just about. I think the highest hacking check in the game is about 130, and the highest lockpicking check in the game is 135. If you manage to get an item or two, these can be lowered by about 10 or 15 points. But yeah, 100 will be pretty good for both of them.
Haxxor 3 gives a bonus of 15, as do lockpicks mk. III. And they're common. Add on that knife that gives you a bonus to lockpicking skill (7 points?) I think you can cap lockpicking at 118 effective skill (so depends on your dex but a pistol build will probably have pretty high dex).

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
If I leave stuff on the floor that I can't carry, will it disappear?
I don't know exactly, I think it depends. It should still be there if you leave the room and than come back, but if you leave it for longer it will disappear. But yes, just stuff what you want into a locker and you will be good.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
going to do another play through, is the map on the live version or the experimental build?

Map is still not implemented AFAIK.
It is implemented.

Ive played experimental patch few months ago, and it wasnt implemented. Something changed?

Edit: Ok, ive switched to normal version from experimental, and played it again, how nice, there's a bunch of icons on the top right corner and a map. Incline!

Jezal_k23

Map is implemented and very useful I might say. All I really wanted was a zoom option and maybe a shift+click to run while not in combat.

Game is awesome btw. Will say more as I get through it.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Map is implemented and very useful I might say. All I really wanted was a zoom option and maybe a shift+click to run while not in combat.

Game is awesome btw. Will say more as I get through it.

Its great with added notes, centering on player, following, definitely everything one would need[styg always thinks everything through], i hope core city would get a map too. The icon for core city looks awesome though, but would be better like with SGS, after clicking it, to get a top-down overview of all core city floors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom