Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Blaine, Dec 18, 2015.

1. epeligender: ⚧ Erudite

epeli
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I think you and Styg have the same general idea there, but the implementation differs. Melee benefits from both stats: STR increases damage depending on weapon type, DEX increases crit chance and also reduces AP cost for light weapons. Minmaxing str/dex isn't always the best choice for melee builds.

However, bonus to melee skill (which is a large factor in damage and precision) comes only from the highest stat. Why? Probably to keep things consistent, but getting that bonus from 2 stats would also be too much. Especially for some NPCs. Now, you might think that melee could be based on 50% STR 50% DEX and that would keep the overall system balance (althought that would not change anything in this case) but it would be a nerf to most melee players because they'd need more stat points to reach their old bonus. It would also be inconsistent, as the practical ceiling for this bonus would be lower than for any other skill.

^ Top  
  2. Lhynngender: ⚧ Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Will lack damage, survivability and will be a sitting duck.

Sure, if thats what you want to play its fine. Youll have a rough time tho.
    And yeah, dont put points in dodge and evasion in heavy armor, better divert them to mechanics.

Fair enough, let us know how it goes.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lhynngender: ⚧ Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    I dont see a problem with both stats giving full benefit to melee, you are too point starved to invest heavily in str, and if you do, then those points arent going someplace else. It would also stop these 3 STR builds, 5 would become the baseline str which seems fair, otherwise youd suffer a 20% penalty to the skill.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Gaius maximusgender: ⚧ Learned

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    its time for the patch me thinks.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Axiegender: ⚧ Educated

Axie
    Parrots:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. cioxgender: ⚧ Learned

ciox
    Parrots:
    I kinda wish they'd just make a split branch that has a few important bug fixes copypasted in, like the cryokinetic orb bugfix and the incendiary bullets bugfix and release that, no reason to tie those fixes to a large update that takes so long to come out.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Stavrophoregender: ⚧ Learned

Stavrophore
    Parrots:
    I've started a new playthrough, any way to see enemies stats? I hoped it was added in patches.

^ Top  
  8. cioxgender: ⚧ Learned

ciox
    Parrots:
    No, even though you need at least DR/DT to know what you're doing with your ammo types, there's some stats on the wiki at least for some monsters (click on Combat Stats) http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sentry_Bot

edit: actually it looks like all of them have stats now, so that's your beastiary right there

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    ^ Top  
  9. epeligender: ⚧ Erudite

epeli
    Parrots:
    Nope, all you get to see directly is their health, psi and shield points.
    At one point in alpha, NPC level was also shown on their portrait. IIRC Styg removed that because it didn't reflect power of the NPCs very accurately, but I always thought it was a good way to estimate their overall power level. Imagine being level 10, going into Rail Crossing for the first time and seeing level 20 faceless group... you knew shit was about to get serious.

We finally have another poor soul valuable contributor helping me on the wiki, he's taking care of NPC pages so I don't know what's exactly going on over there, but he's been doing a thorough job datamining stats. And talking about monsters, very soon we'll have nice new ways of getting killed.

Also, Underrail confirmed for popamole?
    [​IMG] :hmmm:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Stavrophoregender: ⚧ Learned

Stavrophore
    Parrots:
    Epeli as you are a great underrail contributor and have some inside knowledge judging by the prerelease photos, does Styg plan to add some helmets in the game? The armor variation is nice, but we only have one helmet option, just made with diff materials. Some lighter helmets, like light kevlar helmet would be a good in-between balaclava and metal helmet.

^ Top  
  11. Tygrendegender: ⚧ Educated

Tygrende
    Parrots:

All these new details, but why isn't Dude's table littered with empty bottles? I am disappoint.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Styggender: ⚧ Stygian Software Developer

Styg
    Parrots:
    That's a quest.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. epeligender: ⚧ Erudite

epeli
    Parrots:
    When I hinted at exciting new ways to die in the upcoming patch, I did not mean getting wasted with Dude! because that's in the expansion ;_;

• decline decline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Black Angelgender: ⚧ Savant

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    0/10, won't recommend.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Twiglardgender: ⚧ Learned

Twiglard
    Parrots:
    Please just do a pre-order with day-1 DLC. Fucking take my money already.

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Sykargender: ⚧ Arcane

Sykar
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. felipepepegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Gentlemen, I was waiting for Underrail's expansion to arrive before asking for a review, but now the CRPG Book is really close to being finished (only 9 reviews remaining!) and the expansion apparently will take a bit longer...

So, anyone here willing to write a 800-word review on Underrail, explaining how the game works and why it's interesting? What you say, epeli ? :)

^ Top  
  18. Gaius maximusgender: ⚧ Learned

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    epeli will there be a mechanic about campfires in expedition?i found some coal in a shop and dont remember being there before....

^ Top  
  19. epeligender: ⚧ Erudite

epeli
    Parrots:
    I appreciate the offer, but you couldn't get decent write-up out of me. Trust me, I can barely write sensible forum posts. :P

Gaius maximus there are campfires too. Lots of other little expansion teasers in 1.0.3 data. What's in-game? I don't know. From now on I'm going to save some surprises for myself, and replayability just got a whole lot better with hundreds of random events. :love:

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Ask Blaine, you'll get 800 pages.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Gaius maximusgender: ⚧ Learned

Gaius maximus
    Parrots:
    can you write some of them in the wiki so we can get some idea what to expect?

^ Top  
  22. epeligender: ⚧ Erudite

epeli
    Parrots:
    Play the game and find out! :) Styg chose not to elaborate much on their mechanics and content, so I'll stick to that for now. Also, best random events are the ones you don't even realize are random events. Will eventually add something about them to the wiki. Still undecided how detailed it's going to be.

PS. Encounters and enemies have also been tweaked for each difficulty, so the entire game feels quite fresh right now. It's a good time for a replay before the expansion, though it wouldn't hurt to wait for a hotfix patch or two. Quite a bit of last moment changes were made to early game after I tested it, and right now they're buggier than a burrower nest.

PPS. I recommend hard difficulty for everyone who thought it was getting too easy before this patch. It's better now! DOMINATING if you're a glutton for punishment.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Stavrophoregender: ⚧ Learned

Stavrophore
    Parrots:
    Epeli do you know where i can get W2C ammo blueprint? Its not in SGS, its not in protectorate, its not in core city. Do i have to visit every trader in the game to find this blueprint?

^ Top  
  24. epeligender: ⚧ Erudite

epeli
    Parrots:
    Hmm. Looks like Fraser, Kevin and Constantine have it. Try Fraser again after his next restock if you can't get to the others?

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Parabalusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    epeli Will anything be done about the house and the long walk/loading screens needed to get to it?

Something like a 5k charon butler who waits for you at the rail stations would be great, especially since the junkyard surprise nerf will mean more visits to the crafting benches.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)